New to ClubWRX, New to Subaru
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on New to ClubWRX, New to Subaru within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey everyone. I'm the recent purchaser of a 2009 WRX. This is my first every Subaru, I've always been a ...

New to ClubWRX, New to Subaru

Hey everyone. I'm the recent purchaser of a 2009 WRX. This is my first every Subaru, I've always been a Chevy guy and had a 98 Blazer. But with the gas mileage not being all that great and it getting up there in age, I thought it time to upgrade. I love it. It's still 100% stock and will probably be that way for a little bit still, not that I'm not wanting to do things though. As of right now I am just looking at an exhaust, short throw shifter, an intake and EM, nothing too radical since it is my DD. But enough about that and a little about me. I recently graduated with my BS in Chemistry and am heading into a PhD program this fall in Chemistry. I'm planning on being a consultant and a teacher at the college level. Should be interesting. Hope to learn a lot here

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

hey dude.. I just bought the 09 WRX as well, I wanted to put a catback exhaust on it but was told otherwise. I cut out the resonator and put a straight pipe in and I switched out the muffler. It worked very well for what I wanted. I also put an AEM intake on it and thats awesome as well

welcome X2. skip the intake and get a downpipe with that EM. its called "stage 2" search it. post some pics of your rides!
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #898Military Milita #898

AP stage 2 93 oct. maddad DP. SPT short ram intake,SPT intake heat shield,HKS carbon fiber catback,boost,MAF,volt gauges,STI springs, pioneer flip screen headunit, polk audio speakers, vortex generator,STI wing,rally armor UR flaps

DUB
    Quote Originally Posted by TI heater View Post
    hey dude.. I just bought the 09 WRX as well, I wanted to put a catback exhaust on it but was told otherwise. I cut out the resonator and put a straight pipe in and I switched out the muffler. It worked very well for what I wanted. I also put an AEM intake on it and thats awesome as well
    Someone told you not to install a catback so you deleted the resonator and swapped to a different muffler? Guess what. You made your own catback.

Quote Originally Posted by DUB View Post
    Someone told you not to install a catback so you deleted the resonator and swapped to a different muffler? Guess what. You made your own catback.

hopefully he knows he made his own catback. im guessing they ment dont buy one because they are expensive.

AP stage 2 93 oct. maddad DP. SPT short ram intake,SPT intake heat shield,HKS carbon fiber catback,boost,MAF,volt gauges,STI springs, pioneer flip screen headunit, polk audio speakers, vortex generator,STI wing,rally armor UR flaps

yes, i know a catback is just piping and a muffler. I didnt know I was able to do that on my WRX thats why I saved myself a ****load of money for what I wanted. They told me in that shop I couldn't touch my downpipes though, I had originally wanted to swap them for a hi flow cat downpipe

See, I'm wanting to avoid warranty issues down the road, this is my first brand new car. But that would make a lot more sense to do that rather than spending the money on a full cat-back.

Quote Originally Posted by wunderboy987 View Post
    welcome X2. skip the intake and get a downpipe with that EM. its called "stage 2" search it. post some pics of your rides!
    I had read somewhere that an intake can actually mess with your MAF because it changes the angle that the air meets the MAF. The down pipe will probably be one of the main things I will do. If I'm doing the rest of the exhaust I might as well right? lol. I will get pics up as soon as I get home. I'm out of town for the weekend and don't have pictures on here.

Quote Originally Posted by wunderboy987 View Post
    hopefully he knows he made his own catback. im guessing they ment dont buy one because they are expensive.
    Hence one of the reasons I waiting a little bit to get one. They are more expensive than what I thought they would be.

I'm actually in the process of trying to find some really cheap wheels that I can throw in for the winter. I read somewhere to look for older WRX wheels, but they are just as expensive as a new wheel. I'd like to just put some black steelies on, real cheap and don't have to worry about the winter weather, but am having a hard time finding them.

well I lease my car and they told me I couldnt touch the catalytic converters because of the warranty.. If I owned the car I want to put a downpipe on right away and get it tuned

DUB
    Quote Originally Posted by riceh8r0512 View Post
    I'm actually in the process of trying to find some really cheap wheels that I can throw in for the winter. I read somewhere to look for older WRX wheels, but they are just as expensive as a new wheel. I'd like to just put some black steelies on, real cheap and don't have to worry about the winter weather, but am having a hard time finding them.
    Is the bolt pattern still the same for '09, I don't even know... If so, you can get a set of OE WRX wheels for like $150 to throw your snow tires on.

well I lease my car and they told me I couldnt touch the catalytic converters because of the warranty.. If I owned the car I want to put a downpipe on right away and get it tuned
    Probably good advice...

i think im gonna use my stock gun metal rims with a winter rubber on them for the winter and buy a brand new set of wheels and rubber for the summer

Banned
    Where's the pictures???

When I first got my car (and still to this date) I still take LOTS and LOTS of pictures lol

i think im gonna use my stock gun metal rims with a winter rubber on them for the winter and buy a brand new set of wheels and rubber for the summer
    thats what i did

See, that's why I don't know about the downpipe till later on, because of the warranty, I know they would decline me warranty service with that. I love the look of the gun metal wheels, but mine is a dark gray, so I think it looks really well with it and I wouldn't want them getting all scuffed and damaged from the winter weather.

Quote Originally Posted by DUB View Post
    Is the bolt pattern still the same for '09, I don't even know... If so, you can get a set of OE WRX wheels for like $150 to throw your snow tires on.
    Yeah, its 5x100, but I can't seem to find a set anywhere. I check on eBay and they are all about $100 a wheel plus shipping. It's driving me nuts.

Quote Originally Posted by ITGUY123 View Post
    Where's the pictures???

When I first got my car (and still to this date) I still take LOTS and LOTS of pictures lol
    Here's the pics, sorry they were taken with my phone. I need to get it all cleaned pretty and borrow my parents SLR to get some real nice ones.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 06-26-09_1653.jpg   06-26-09_1654.jpg   06-26-09_1655.jpg   06-26-09_1657.jpg   06-26-09_1658.jpg  

06-26-09_1844.jpg  

nice.. everyone was saying it was a bad idea because there nice rims but I told em they'd be nice in the winter and I'd have even nicer ones in the summer would 19's be too big for my wrx or should I just stick to 18"s?
    Last edited by TI heater; 08-02-2009 at 07:43 PM.

its probably just me but did they make the stock tmic smaller? And its looks like they used a lot more plastic cover on the new engine.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.