New and interested ecu mods.
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on New and interested ecu mods. within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hi! I have currently purchased a 04 Wrx WR Blue Sedan after many months of hunting to find the right ...

New and interested ecu mods.

Hi! I have currently purchased a 04 Wrx WR Blue Sedan after many months of hunting to find the right one. (It appears Kansas is not the state for used Wrx's.) I have quite a few payments to go but I'd like to get started on tuning it. I use to drive a pretty well modded 99 Civic Si that I turbocharged myself and ran fairly well.

Now I'm very interested in the tuning as far as the ecu mods go for it appears that the stock Ecu is quite fearful of the destruction of the engine or any other mishaps. Most of my reading comes from Sport compact car issues that I have been hoarding for years and if anything I say is incorrect please feel free to correct me. I come to understand that the throttle must be @ 55% or more for full boost to occur and that after 5500 rpms it bleeds off boost and therefore causes lower horsepower but less stress to the engine. These are the two things that bother me about the car that I would like to change first.

So far I have been reading up on the Vishnu Stage Zero(280) has caught my eye (price wise its where i would like to be) but I have been reading of many other tuners that have similar of set ups. Any links or info on this product or similar ones would be much appreciated. I will be continuing with upgrades but they will be slow and spaced out if that is any help. Thanks for any help! (Sorry for all the text!)

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    Anything you've read in Sport Compact, forget it. It's wrong. Magazines are notorious for giving bad and misleading information with very few exceptions.

Vishnu all but dropped support for WRXs when they became an almost exclusively EVO shop back in 2003. I would ignore any pre-mapped packages.

Just go with a "stage 2" set up

Turbo back exhaust + tune

most people have the cobb stage 2 set up, which uses OTS maps that are uploaded directly to the car

You can also do an opensource tune, which is a custom tune that you can do yourself with a laptop/tactrix cable

Or you can get the car protuned by reputable tuner
    Bugeye Mafia #213
    Kevin
    2002 Midnight Black Pearl WRX (Traded In!)

2012 Ice Silver Metallic STi Sedan

Ah I see.. well this is very welcome information. So would Cobb be basically the standard? It appears that is what most everyone I read is rolling. As much as I like the Cobb stage II setup it is a little out of my price range was hoping to get by on about a grand. I guess I should just save up some more and put it off a little while.

ECU mods

I was tantalized by Vishnu's claims as well back in 2006, and ordered the Helix TBE, lightened crankshaft pulley, passive boost controller, silicone intercooler hoses, and I forget what else. It took months for them to deliver, and there were several separate shipments, although I must admit, everything arrived safely and in good condition. The worst part of all my dealings with Vishnu and Shiv in particular, were #1: absolutely horrible customer service-it's like after they sell you everything, there is no support (and less even now in 2009, if any exists at all), #2 was trying to get Shiv to tune my car on the dyno, not to mention that I had to drive 4 hours to get it there, then wait 2 more hours for Shiv to saunter in. It took me 8 months of pestering via email and phone for them to setup a date and time to tune, and at the end of everything, I couldn't even get a copy of the tuned map to reflash my ROM in the event it got corrupted in some way (which later, it did). I have nothing but bad memories of Vishnu, and would recommend finding someone who is still interested in Subaru WRX's to buy your performance parts from and have tuning done by them, as well, if possible. Live and learn............................

Thanks for the input! My further reading and researching has helped immensely and I'm pretty sure I will be getting the Cobb Accessport. I'd rather go straight to stage II but it will take awhile and right now I am feenin' for an upgrade. New tires are up soon as the weather is turning and then maybe a rear sway bar.. hopefully up-pipe and exhaust shortly after.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by (W)RacerX View Post
    I come to understand that the throttle must be @ 55% or more for full boost to occur and that after 5500 rpms it bleeds off boost and therefore causes lower horsepower but less stress to the engine. These are the two things that bother me about the car that I would like to change first.
    Boost is load depended so depending on what gear your in (and tuning) is when you will see full boost. Now the boost control system is based on a "3d" maps that is throttle vs rpm. This allows for Part Throttle Full Boost from happening as well as better gas mileage. Boost is bleed off up top for a couple of reasons: First and foremost reliability.Then turbo is starting to get out of it's efficiency range with the stock IC and intake track. Last stock injector size. If you want to know more you download Romraider for free and actually look at the factory ROMs from the stock ECU. Romraider is an ECU editor and logging program.

RomRaider - Open Source ECU Tools | RomRaider / Rom Raider
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Thanks for the link and nice pics! I guess it currently is the how my old car worked that messes up my conceptions on this one. Where the Wrx is more boost dependent and is always remapping and being cautious.. my Si turbo was just all go and no care for safety and engine longevity. But most of the remapping that goes on with the Accessport changes the boost map up top right? And would just a remap without any other changes be helped with colder plugs or just same temp iridiums do the trick?

I Support ClubWRX
    You can easily setup the WRX to be "all go". I do my own tuning and use the stock system with an upgraded solenoid. I could see 17psi in first gear at 5500 rpm and in third easily 22+psi by 2800-3000rpm. But I capped the max boost at 20psi. The 22+ psi was an accident! All depends on what you use (EBC,MBC,BCS....)

Stock range plugs are fine until you upgrade the turbo or get really aggressive with the stock turbo. The AP just provides a generic "map" and works for most. Power is still left on the table though. Also this would be a good link for you:

Unabomber's Manifesto - NASIOC
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.