Really Stupid Manual Transmission Question

This is a discussion on Really Stupid Manual Transmission Question within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I'm ashamed to ask this, but I figure I should just go ahead and do it... I've read the "slipping ...

Really Stupid Manual Transmission Question

I'm ashamed to ask this, but I figure I should just go ahead and do it...

I've read the "slipping the clutch" is bad. From what I gather, this means needlessly depressing the clutch partially while driving instead of just pushing it in, changing gears, and letting it out. I understand that, but what about when starting from a stop or backing out of the drive way?

I've noticed that when I back out of my driveway, I tend to put it in reverse and then slowly let out the clutch until everything engages and I start moving backward. Starting from a stoplight is similar; I tend to slowly let out the clutch while slowly depressing the gas until I get moving, then I let out the clutch completely until I need to shift into second. The only other option as I see it is to slam the revs up to around 3-4k RPM and then "drop the clutch," but that seems just as wrong.

I've done some Googling about all this, but most of what I seem to come up with are forum posts from wanna-be drag racers advocating spinning the tires at every opportunity. You all seem like a reasonable group of people who know how to drive both on the track AND on your daily commute, so I thought I would swallow my pride and ask the question here.

*Hangs head in shame*

I know I will learn all this on my own eventually through experience, but I'd like to make the process as painless for my poor WRX as possible.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

XTC
    Well iono I never really think about what I am doing, but I usually give gas first to about 1500 rpm, and then slowly let off the clutch...I used to let the clutch out early, but that resulted in me stalling...

DUB
    UncleMidriff, you're doing it right.

Thumbs up

Sounds like you have the right idea.
    For daily driving, you want to save the clutch as best you can by getting moving at as low an rpm as is reasonable. You want to apply a small bit of throttle as you let the clutch out. Both at the same time - not really go to a certain rpm and then let the clutch out. For a normal start you should be fully engaged by about 1500. Each vehicle is a bit different, but you will find the sweet spot.
    For a quick launch, it's all about keeping the engine at it's peak torque while engaging the clutch and controlling wheelspin. If you are new to standard transmission, I wouldn't worry about this part too much - try keeping the rpms as low as you can without stalling and engaging clutch and throttle at the same time in a smooth fluid motion. Getting to know where the clutch starts to engage and the amount of pedal travel you have from initial contact of clutch and flywheel to full engagement will go a long way to making smooth takeoffs. When you are sitting on a hill, once you know where the engagement point is, you can go there then release the brake and apply throttle as you continue to let the clutch out. Some use the emergency brake in extreme cases, but the "friction zone" will do the trick. I take it you don't ride motorcycles? In any case, it just takes a little practice in different conditions - level, uphill, snow, etc...
    Good luck and keep practicing!

I Support ClubWRX
    7k DROP!!

Okay... seriously... when launching at the track I hold RPMs at 3500, then I punch the gas, then after I get to about 4500 RPM I quickly slip the clutch. It'll build mild boost (basically get you out of vacuum.. no actual boost), and keep you in the torque curve. You may experience a slight wheelspin which is good. If you bog down, that's not good for your launch, or your transmission... you're slipping too fast.

Now that I have the AccessPORT I do a fast slip using launch control at about 4700rpm (Varies on track conditions when I'm trying to find the sweet spot. Cold days it goes lower, hot days higher).
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!