Another Newbie Question

This is a discussion on Another Newbie Question within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; How easy is it to damage a stock 09 WRX by power shifting from 1st to 2nd or 2nd to ...

Another Newbie Question

How easy is it to damage a stock 09 WRX by power shifting from 1st to 2nd or 2nd to 3rd?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    It depends on how committed you are to damaging it. An honest afternoon's effort could certainly do some damage.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I'm not commited to harming my new WRX. I tried power shifting from 1st to 2nd, and it sounded like the rear end took a beating. Is that from the ESC or AWD?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by co09wrx View Post
    I'm not commited to harming my new WRX. I tried power shifting from 1st to 2nd, and it sounded like the rear end took a beating.
    Not good. Be nice to your transmission and it will be nice to you. Why do you need to "power shift"?
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

I Support ClubWRX
    Yes, not good at all. The noise could be a number of things, some expected, a few not pleasant. Use the clutch and gearbox correctly or you will likely damage it. If you are in a hurry, start earlier in the day.

What you may have heard is the rear end thumping as the car's attitude changes with load when shifting hard. The older cars did that for sure but I don't know what the new rear end is like. That's probably the best case scenario for the noise.

Try lifting the throttle momentarily before disengaging the clutch and then giving it throttle again gradually, you want to avoid the nose changing angles if at all possible.
    Last edited by SD_GR; 07-30-2009 at 01:18 PM.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

So drag racing other cars with my WRX is not a good idea. OK, I can adjust to that. The WRX is more fun to drive it on curves anyway. Thanks