Pics - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on Pics within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Congrats! She looks great! Originally Posted by UncleMidriff Not at the moment, no. I won't be doing any serious modding ...

DUB
    Congrats! She looks great!

Quote Originally Posted by UncleMidriff View Post
    Not at the moment, no. I won't be doing any serious modding anytime soon, because:

a) I'm not a car guy, so I wouldn't know where to start,

If you are on this forum posting pics of your new car, you have already past the point of no return. Oh yes, she will be modded. (and don't worry, we can help!)

The first this I would do is clear the headlights and get that yucky orange blob out of there.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Yep, there's a pentagram there. Is there an appropriate incantation for this kind of situation?
    You drive the devils car!
    **__The Hawk-Eye Alliance__**
    Member #0135

Quote Originally Posted by DUB View Post
    Congrats! She looks great!
    Thanks!

If you are on this forum posting pics of your new car, you have already past the point of no return. Oh yes, she will be modded.
    Tell that to my wife. I get the feeling she already thought it was kinda silly that I "needed" this car.

The first this I would do is clear the headlights and get that yucky orange blob out of there.
    I'm all for that...I really like the chrome-on-silver look, but then that ugly orange crap is in there messing up the look.

Is it legal here in the states to have clear blinkers though? If it's not, is it something anyone in law enforcement actually cares about? (My state doesn't have vehicle inspections, so I wouldn't have to worry about that.) And if I just can't clear all of it, would it be acceptable to clear either the side blinkers or the headlight blinkers?

Lastly, can you point me to any DIY instructions on getting rid of the orange-y-ness? I've done a bit of searching, but didn't find what I was looking for.

Thanks for the suggestion and help.

DUB
    Search (here and nasioc, can't remember where it is) 'koji mod'. It's a headlight mod, but within those instructions you will find the how to for clearing the lights. It's pretty easy, it was the first thing I did.
    Next, search the web for 'stealth bulbs'. They are chrome blinker bulbs that flash orange. They are perfect for clearing bug eye headlights. I bought them off eBay but I think they have a regular online store as well.
    As for the wife, I have no advice there. Appease her with gifts maybe? Downpipe for you, necklace for her.

As for the wife, I have no advice there. Appease her with gifts maybe? Downpipe for you, necklace for her.
    See, here's the deal with that: my wife, God bless her, is not a typical woman. What she likes better than anything, better than diamonds, better than pearls, better than all that, is not spending money. She's very, very frugal (but not cheap). This is a good thing. If I hadn't married her when I did, I'd be up to my eyeballs in debt with little to show for it (other than maybe a heavily modified 2009 STI and several gargantuan TVs in the house). So, I'm not complaining...but it does make situations where I want to make arguably frivolous purchases require a bit of...diplomacy.

Search (here and nasioc, can't remember where it is) 'koji mod'. It's a headlight mod, but within those instructions you will find the how to for clearing the lights. It's pretty easy, it was the first thing I did.
    Next, search the web for 'stealth bulbs'. They are chrome blinker bulbs that flash orange. They are perfect for clearing bug eye headlights. I bought them off eBay but I think they have a regular online store as well.
    I was reading about the koji mod, but I was under the impression that was mainly for blacking out the headlights, not clearing them. Apparently I need to read it more closely.

Either way, though, I'm picturing the following exchange if I decide to do it:

Me: *Closes oven*

Wife: "Hi Honey. What are you cooking?"

Me: "My headlights."

Wife: "..."

Me: "..."

Wife: "You're cooking your head lice?!"

Me: "No no no. I'm cooking my headlights...from my car."

Wife: "... I'm not sure that's better."

It burns a little bit of oil now, and I have to put a bit of power steering fluid in it every couple of weeks
    with 40 some thousand miles?

ive got 167k and i dont burn a drop... let alone lose power steering fluid...
    '02 World Rally Blue Pearl WRX
    167k miles, K&N Drop-in, factory clutch
    Myspace

Quote Originally Posted by 2002 WReX View Post
    with 40 some thousand miles?

ive got 167k and i dont burn a drop... let alone lose power steering fluid...
    It appears there has been a misunderstanding. It's my old 1994 Toyota Corolla with 160+ thousand miles on it that is burning a bit of oil, not my 2003 WRX with 46 thousand miles on it.

Sorry for the confusion...yes, that would be bad.

DUB
    I was reading about the koji mod, but I was under the impression that was mainly for blacking out the headlights, not clearing them. Apparently I need to read it more closely.
    Yes, the Koji mod is blacking out the headlights and adding the little piece of PVC pipe. But the instructions go over how to remove the headlights from the car and open them up. Then you just pop out the orange orb and put them back together, ignoring the other instructions that have to do with painting.

Yes, the Koji mod is blacking out the headlights and adding the little piece of PVC pipe. But the instructions go over how to remove the headlights from the car and open them up. Then you just pop out the orange orb and put them back together, ignoring the other instructions that have to do with painting.
    I...see. For some reason I was thinking it was more involved than just swapping out the bulbs (once you got the headlights open). Awesome. Thanks!

Seriously though, did Subaru not think anyone was ever going to need to change out their headlight bulbs? That seems like too minor a thing to take it in to dealership for.

DUB
    I...see. For some reason I was thinking it was more involved than just swapping out the bulbs (once you got the headlights open). Awesome. Thanks!

Seriously though, did Subaru not think anyone was ever going to need to change out their headlight bulbs? That seems like too minor a thing to take it in to dealership for.
    You only have to open the actual headlight housing to get the orange piece out. The bulbs can be changed from the back.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12