need an unbiased opinion - 04wrx or 06si
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on need an unbiased opinion - 04wrx or 06si within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; hey guys. i have around 13,000$ and am looking to make a purchase on a new car before i go ...

need an unbiased opinion - 04wrx or 06si

hey guys. i have around 13,000$ and am looking to make a purchase on a new car before i go back to school. i guess it's kind of stupid asking this question on a subie forum but hey i'll give it a shot. i'm finally stuck between 2 cars and it's the 06 honda civic SI or the 04-05 wrx (non sti). for one, i cannot purchase an STi and would prefer not to, so please don't suggest an STi. i test drove an 04 wrx and i really did love the power and the torque, although i haven't test driven an SI yet. The only thing that kind of makes me upset is that the interior of the WRX is really lacking and i would give it to the SI in that department for interior-wise. But, as a total car, i do love the WRX and would love an AWD car, but the only thing that really wants me to choose the SI over the WRX is that with the amount of money i have, i can get an SI with significantly less miles than the WRX. Most likely probably estimated that I can get an SI with 30-50k miles and a WRX with 70-85k miles (maybe >60k if i'm lucky). I read a couple of reviews and they basically said as a COMPLETE car, the SI wins, but the WRX is calling me since i was already from the honda game and would like to try something new.

I'm not looking to race or make my car the fastest possible, but a car with power is always nice. I would like to do light mods to whichever car i buy and basically make it look and sound nice. Any opinions would be greatly welcome since i'm coming close to my purchase. Thanks for reading.
    FREEEEDOMMM!!!!!

2000 FBP Civic SI - stolen/sold
    2005 PSM WRX - current

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Ignore opinions. Since you are in school, buy the car with the better reliability record and that is cheaper to insure and run. Check used car ratings for the info and go from there. To get to class you need a car that first and foremost runs, and exists -- in that you can afford to run it. Think practical and make as logical a decision as possible, there will be plenty of time after school to pick something exciting or even irrational.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Being in school = Civic FTW.

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    im going to go with the SI too.

1) it's newer
    2) insurance should be cheaper
    3) fantastic gas mileage & you can use regular instead of premium

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

Quote Originally Posted by wrxtreme06 View Post
    im going to go with the SI too.

1) it's newer
    2) insurance should be cheaper
    3) fantastic gas mileage & you can use regular instead of premium
    1. Agreed.
    2. Shop around, they might be close.
    3. The SI requires Premium, and gets better gas mileage than the WRX, but it's by no means fantastic.

A 30 something female friend of mine has a 07 SI, hates the sound of VTEC, so never goes above 7000rpm (or where ever it kicks in), and constantly gets 26-28mpg.

Here are the spec sheets side by side, along with an Civic EX Sedan.
    Honda Civic Compare - Summary - MSN Autos

Just some food for thought

Registered User GarrettKoonsman's Avatar
    as practical as the honda would be in my opinion the wrx would be my choice. All the practical reasons point to the honda (insurance, gas mileage, year). However living in colorado AWD is amazing. I havent even had my wrx long enough yet to drive it in snow but having driven my moms subaru in the snow i know how much more enjoyable it is. Here is my question. What do you WANT to drive. Im a college student and my car payment and insurance suck to pay. But i absolutely love my car and wouldnt trade it for a lower payment. Bottom line is you can realistically afford either. So go with what you will want to drive more, instead of just looking and the numbers.
    2003 Midnight Black Pearl WRX Sedan
    200.7 AWHP Protuned Stage 2 at 5400ft above sea level
    Bugeye Mafia Member #225
    Mods
    Pics

idk where your going to school but awd is nice, makes you more confident and feeling safe when you drive. as for your personal choice, although i love my 04 wrx and use it for school i do not recommend it. they are not cheap to fix or mod and the gas isn't fantastic. i personally am not a honda guy at all, i really dont like em, but as long as you dont rice it out i think it would be a fantastic choice for you
    <------------ Pure unfiltered joy... 04 wrx stage III ** The Blobeye Syndicate **... #39----------------------------------->

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by jeremy96gase View Post
    3. The SI requires Premium, and gets better gas mileage than the WRX, but it's by no means fantastic.
    whoops. i guess they've changed things since i've last owned a honda. my 99 (had vtec too) took regular & it only cost 20 bucks to fill up & lasted between 2-2.5 weeks

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

I don't think you can go wrong with either choice. If you are going to be going to school where there will be snow i would say get the WRX, otherwise go for the Si. Insurance is cheaper more than likely, replacement parts are cheaper, you get a newer car for the same price. Gas mileage is about the same. Plus honda engines run forever, not saying that the boxer doesn't though.
    Bugeye Mafia #231 - 2002 WRB - sold Dec 31, 2009
    -Stink-Eye Mob- #173 - 2008 SWP - Returned to TD04 Stage 2 in Jan 2012
    Frmr Blobeye Syndicate #173 - 2005 CGM -sold Sept 15, 2008. I miss my STi
    Proud owner of 99 RS coupe with EJ205 engine and tranny swap.

If you are going with an Si, dont buy an 06-07 model. They have a major third gear problem. I had an 06 for about 6 months before i traded it in. You can do a lot of research on this on 8thcivic.
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffbmx00 View Post
    nah i dont have a problem with spelling, i just play a lot of world of warcraft and thats how people type in that game.

thanks for all the replies. i am going to school in new jersey and the winters here get messy, snows a decent amount and rains ridiculously sometimes, which is why i would prefer the AWD in that situation so i can drive confidently in those situations.

reliability wise - isn't subaru up there with honda or is honda just too much above the competition?
    FREEEEDOMMM!!!!!

2000 FBP Civic SI - stolen/sold
    2005 PSM WRX - current

Registered User GarrettKoonsman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gel Mibson View Post
    thanks for all the replies. i am going to school in new jersey and the winters here get messy, snows a decent amount and rains ridiculously sometimes, which is why i would prefer the AWD in that situation so i can drive confidently in those situations.

reliability wise - isn't subaru up there with honda or is honda just too much above the competition?
    From what i know and have seen subaru is very reliable. The WRX has a few problems people run into, the clutch being the main one and transmission depending on how you drive it. But subaru as a company is known to have many cars in the high 100,000 mile range and into the 200,000 miles. Honda's are extremely reliable however and relatively cheap to fix. However, its cheaper to fix a clutch than an entire front end when you lose traction in the snow without AWD.
    2003 Midnight Black Pearl WRX Sedan
    200.7 AWHP Protuned Stage 2 at 5400ft above sea level
    Bugeye Mafia Member #225
    Mods
    Pics

I Support ClubWRX
    If those are the only two choices, I would take the Civic hands down.

More reliable
    Easier to fix
    Cheaper insurance
    Better fuel mileage
    Better driving experience
    Better resale value

If I was in school with $13,000 of expendable income, I would buy an older $4000-$5000 Civic, and stash away the rest for a rainy day.

Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex View Post
    More reliable
    Easier to fix
    Cheaper insurance
    Better fuel mileage
    Better driving experience
    Better resale value
    not sure i agree completely on that one. bu yes the Si would be a great choice for your situation.
    <------------ Pure unfiltered joy... 04 wrx stage III ** The Blobeye Syndicate **... #39----------------------------------->

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Gel Mibson View Post

Reliability, Toyota and Honda take the cake... easy 300k miles.. but there are many subarus with 200k+.

Honestly... I think you should be buying a 2.5RS. Almost no one modifies those. Gas mileage is decent. Insurance is almost as good as a Civic. They're more reliable than a WRX because WRXs get driven hard. The 2.5RS has AWD...

Will all of the reasons everyone has pointed out.. if you throw the 2.5RS into the pot, I would hands down choose a 2.5RS
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast