need an unbiased opinion - 04wrx or 06si - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on need an unbiased opinion - 04wrx or 06si within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; if you like the Si's interior styling then the 2.5rs will still have the same ol suby styling, but in ...

if you like the Si's interior styling then the 2.5rs will still have the same ol suby styling, but in trade they still look pretty BA to me.
    <------------ Pure unfiltered joy... 04 wrx stage III ** The Blobeye Syndicate **... #39----------------------------------->

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    I'm going with Trainrex for "option C" on this depending mostly on where you're going to school.

If you're stayin' in the dorms on a big campus, I would personally look into a cheaper Civic and keep the rest of that money for something else or maybe on your next car out of school. I'm telling you from experience that you're going to be pissed the first time you walk out to your (new to you) Si or WRX and there's some amateur key marks on a door or hood. Nice cars are a$$hat magnets for college kids. If campus is a little safer than some in Jersey, then maybe you could get away with it. Just something to think about.

Something else to think about... if you're in the dorms, an apt. or commuting, ask yourself how much you're really going to be driving around at school? If you're not commuting you're just going to park it most of the school week so you might not need AWD that frequently, but who knows.

If you're only sticking with Option Si and Option WRX, I guess I'd say an Si because of better gas mileage and the less costly repairs.

I Support ClubWRX
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
    Reliability, Toyota and Honda take the cake... easy 300k miles.. but there are many subarus with 200k+.

Honestly... I think you should be buying a 2.5RS. Almost no one modifies those. Gas mileage is decent. Insurance is almost as good as a Civic. They're more reliable than a WRX because WRXs get driven hard. The 2.5RS has AWD...

Will all of the reasons everyone has pointed out.. if you throw the 2.5RS into the pot, I would hands down choose a 2.5RS
    qfp
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Ying
    If you're stayin' in the dorms on a big campus, I would personally look into a cheaper Civic and keep the rest of that money for something else or maybe on your next car out of school. I'm telling you from experience that you're going to be pissed the first time you walk out to your (new to you) Si or WRX and there's some amateur key marks on a door or hood. Nice cars are a$$hat magnets for college kids. If campus is a little safer than some in Jersey, then maybe you could get away with it. Just something to think about.
    You also have to factor in the drunken college kids stumbling and falling into your car or barfing on it

Quote Originally Posted by Ying
    Something else to think about... if you're in the dorms, an apt. or commuting, ask yourself how much you're really going to be driving around at school? If you're not commuting you're just going to park it most of the school week so you might not need AWD that frequently, but who knows.
    This as well. How much do you really want to spend for insuring your car if you're only driving 200-400 miles/month?

Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    If I was in school with $13,000 of expendable income, I would buy an older $4000-$5000 Civic, and stash away the rest for a rainy day.
    Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR
    Ignore opinions. Since you are in school, buy the car with the better reliability record and that is cheaper to insure and run. Check used car ratings for the info and go from there. To get to class you need a car that first and foremost runs, and exists -- in that you can afford to run it. Think practical and make as logical a decision as possible, there will be plenty of time after school to pick something exciting or even irrational.
    I side with TR/SD_GR on this one. College has a strange way of draining your bank account. Buy a car that runs, and buy something fun later.

I got my STi when I was still in college, but I got it for dealer cost, I gave my old car to my sister (she needed something other than her 3500 truck), and I made enough money working to not have the payment impact my social life in any significant way. It just worked out for me.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Where are you going to school?

I went to school in North Jersey and I will tell you from experience that Hondas are magnets to steal. I had my Integra stolen from campus. My replacement car, an e36 BMW 318i had its mirror bashed out. A nice car is great to have, and I loved having nicer cars (and I do thank my parents for helping me out) but its what they wanted to do for me. I never asked for it.

If you have a choice, get something that will be pretty nice, reliable, and will last you til your done school...then pay to play. I agree fully with TR, you should sit on your cash for awhile. When you graduate college, get a great job, you will already have a hell of a down payment towards who knows what awesome car you can afford then.

AWD is awesome in the snow, but I had two FWD cars and an RWD car in North Jersey winters, and they dealt with it perfectly fine. If you don't drive like a moron in the snow without AWD, then you won't have a problem.

Goodluck with your choice
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Where are you going to school?

I went to school in North Jersey and I will tell you from experience that Hondas are magnets to steal. I had my Integra stolen from campus. My replacement car, an e36 BMW 318i had its mirror bashed out. A nice car is great to have, and I loved having nicer cars (and I do thank my parents for helping me out) but its what they wanted to do for me. I never asked for it.

If you have a choice, get something that will be pretty nice, reliable, and will last you til your done school...then pay to play. I agree fully with TR, you should sit on your cash for awhile. When you graduate college, get a great job, you will already have a hell of a down payment towards who knows what awesome car you can afford then.

AWD is awesome in the snow, but I had two FWD cars and an RWD car in North Jersey winters, and they dealt with it perfectly fine. If you don't drive like a moron in the snow without AWD, then you won't have a problem.

Goodluck with your choice
    What school?

Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex View Post
    What school?
    I was at good ole William Paterson University in Wayne...
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    I was at good ole William Paterson University in Wayne...
    I'm just 15 minutes up the road (in the nicer direction). I wouldn't bring a Civic within 5 miles of Paterson if I could help it. Then can sense it when you enter town.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12