squeaky struts, suspension, sway bar...normal?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on squeaky struts, suspension, sway bar...normal? within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I got my 08 sti at 50k miles. Thing was squeakin like a mug the first time I test drove ...

Registered User Reverand Hustle's Avatar

squeaky struts, suspension, sway bar...normal?

I got my 08 sti at 50k miles. Thing was squeakin like a mug the first time I test drove it. If I didn't want it so bad I would have let it go.

Going over a speed bump is like a musical. The suspension is singing to me or something? Struts, sway bar...what the freak is making all that racket. I can't even ride with my windows down cuz the noise gets so loud and annoying like nails on a chalk board.

Love the crap out of that car though.

And shifting, will I ever get good enough that it won't make that "thud!!!" almost every time. I'm starting to figure the "thud" out, my shifts are a little smoother. But, i'm still battin like %30. Is that just me. Or is it good sometimes to get a nice "thud" when it drops into gear??

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    It's very likely your sway bar are squeaking if they aren't lubricated properly.

What all suspension mods do you have (brands plz)?

Quote Originally Posted by brfatal View Post
    It's very likely your sway bar are squeaking if they aren't lubricated properly.

What all suspension mods do you have (brands plz)?

aaaah sick. i don't know. I feel like a little girl right now.

I'll try asking the dude who sold it to me. Or I could just look at the strut plates and maybe get under and look at the bar.

Wait, the strut plates wouldn't help me out though...would they. separate.

My back end was rattling like crazy whenever I went over a bump or drove down our gravel roadway. Stereo was louder than normal just so I could cope with it. Took it in to the dealer and both of the rear struts were total goners. Had both of them replaced. It may be the same for you?! Hope not! Had I not had the extended warranty, it would've cost me a pretty penny to replace them both!

aaah...don't scare me like that. That would mean I got played. Sold as is. No warranty.

win some, you lose some.

Quote Originally Posted by Reverand Hustle View Post
    aaah...don't scare me like that. That would mean I got played. Sold as is. No warranty.

win some, you lose some.
    Sorry...didn't mean to scare you. I about crapped my pants when they told how much it would cost and then I remembered I got the additional warranty(first time I actually got one). I only had to pay a $100 ded out of the $1200(including labor) they quoted me.

Hopefully it's not the struts, though!

I Support ClubWRX
    struts on STi's have been known to go out at 50k ish...

Tell us the color of the rear sway bar.. if it's blue or red, and the rear mounts have a nipple on them.. then theyre hotchkis or cobb sways and have to be lubed once a year or they get squeaky
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

Quote Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
    struts on STi's have been known to go out at 50k ish...

Tell us the color of the rear sway bar.. if it's blue or red, and the rear mounts have a nipple on them.. then theyre hotchkis or cobb sways and have to be lubed once a year or they get squeaky
    So after fiddling around with things, I found out that however the previous owner set it up, the left arm on the rear sway gets lose after driving for a few thousand miles. That over time has lead to the bushings on the Whiteline endlinks to go out.

Or, it may have happened the other way around. Regardless, it sounds like the endlinks are the squeaky component, and the bushings on at minimum the rear endlinks need to be replaced. And of course, lock tight on the sway bar arms.

Don't know if that means buying new endlinks. Or, can the bushings be replaced easily. Can't find replacements on the web.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.