resonator removal
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on resonator removal within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hi everyone, I'm a new member and have been doing some research. I've done quite a few searchs but can't ...

resonator removal

Hi everyone,

I'm a new member and have been doing some research. I've done quite a few searchs but can't quite find the answer I'm looking. I bought a 2002 Wrx Wagon in march.....and I'm loving it. I'm looking to get that nice growl out of my exhaust. I'm on a limited budget and I don't want to void the waranty that I got when I purchased the car.

So far I removed the silencer from the intake and intalled an sti muffler. It changed the sound (slightly) ....but it's not what I expected. I don't want to go to crazy because i know that this can become quite expensixe. So I was thinking of removing the resonator from the stock exhaust and just replacing it with some 2.5" piping. Has anyone done this.....and will it bring me closer to the sound I'm looking for. After that I'm thinking of gutting the stock up pipe and maybe changing the downpipe to one with a high flow cat. My goal is to get the sound I'm looking for......and doing what I can with what's already there. I'm not really going for hp gains, although an hp gain might be a result of these mods.

So right now it's the sti muffler + the removal of the resonator. Afterwards gutting the stock up pipe, and installing an aftermarket down pipe with a high flow cat (used if possible). And later on after the warranty is done possibly a tuning.

What do you guys think.

Thanks in advance... any advice will be welcome

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    For the pain in the butt that it'll be, you may want to just look at a downpipe + a catback. If you get a catback to pair with the downpipe, make sure it is 2.5 or 3"
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

I Support ClubWRX
    Hello and welcome to the club!

Removal of the resonator will make some more noise.

Its worth noting that a modification alone does not void a warranty. An individual warranty claim may be denied if the modification actually caused the failure.

Mod away.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

There are mixed opinions on what removing/replacing cat's will do to your warrenty. I personally won't mess with mine for a while.

Getting a full CBE will help the sound.
    + DP will really improve the sound (get a tune though)
    I'd go with a 3" system
    A TBE+tune is stage 2. You will get a much better sound and HP as well.
    2008 OBP STi
    traded in: 2004 PSM WRX
    Stink Eye Mob #25
    08+ Impreza Owners Photo Gallery...

oh, and welcome
    2008 OBP STi
    Stink Eye Mob #25

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by alax25 View Post
    There are mixed opinions on what removing/replacing cat's will do to your warrenty. I personally won't mess with mine for a while.
    Not an opinion, a fact.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    Mods & Pics

Quote Originally Posted by 04.SPT.WRX View Post
    Not an opinion, a fact.

and this Chaka2002, is why we trust the older and wiser. enjoy your mods
    2008 OBP STi
    Stink Eye Mob #25

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by alax25 View Post
    and this Chaka2002, is why we trust the older and wiser. enjoy your mods
    Why thank you. Definitely the older part ... not sure about the wiser ...

I know of a few warranty claim issues firsthand that were unaffected by modifications.
    Mods & Pics

I Support ClubWRX
    I have had several warranty claim issues that were resolved... while I had a vf39 turbo upgrade and basically everything else in my profile. As long as you know your rights as the consumer, you'd be surprised what can pass as warranty work.
    Kevin
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ

If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

Quote Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
    For the pain in the butt that it'll be, you may want to just look at a downpipe + a catback. If you get a catback to pair with the downpipe, make sure it is 2.5 or 3"
    It might be pain in the butt, but I'm willing to do it if it saves me money and gives me the desired result. I'm a welder so doing this won't be such a hastle. And I also know some guys that'll do the stuff that I can't for a relatively good price. If I get the desired result for next to nothing....why spend money....

by the way I just took the car for another drive.....it does sound significantly different. I had just changed the muffler this afternoon and I had my step son with me so I wasn't able to focus too much on how the STI muffler sounds. I think if i remove the resonator it'll be close to what I want. Also, I've spoken to the head mechanic where I bought the car and the warranty will not be voided if I tamper with the exhaust. He did say that a tune is out of the question though. So i guess I'll wait until the warranty is up. Thanks for all the advice.
    Last edited by Chaka2002; 07-03-2009 at 07:21 PM.

I had the resonator cut out from the stock rear exhaust pipe today and a 2.5" pipe welded in it's place. It is a little louder, and raspier, but still not what I want. I'm gonna do the up pipe and down pipe next. All in all it has been relatively cheap. The car sounds good, it's not too loud and it didn't cost very much.
    Last edited by Chaka2002; 07-04-2009 at 05:20 PM.

Is there a DP that will fit the OEM exhaust?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaka2002 View Post
    Is there a DP that will fit the OEM exhaust?
    Almost all of them will mate to the stock catback section, but you need to get the adapter for several of them.

My suggestion would be to get a STi catback since it's almost 2.5", it's stealthy, same volume as the stock one, it'll match up to a downpipe, and it'll allow you to take advantage of the downpipe.
    Kevin
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ

Quote Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
    Almost all of them will mate to the stock catback section, but you need to get the adapter for several of them.

My suggestion would be to get a STi catback since it's almost 2.5", it's stealthy, same volume as the stock one, it'll match up to a downpipe, and it'll allow you to take advantage of the downpipe.
    What's the difference between the WRX catback And the STI catback??? And when you say stealthy what do you mean. I apologize for my ingnorance, but I'm not familiar with that term, when regarding an exhaust.

Thanks for the suggestion. Seeing that there various combinations, I appreciate the input.
    Last edited by Chaka2002; 07-06-2009 at 05:03 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast