resonator removal - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on resonator removal within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by Chaka2002 What's difference between the WRX catback And the STI catback??? And when you say stealthy what ...

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaka2002 View Post
    What's difference between the WRX catback And the STI catback??? And when you say stealthy what do you mean. I apologize for my ingnore, but I'm not familiar with that term, when regarding an exhaust.
    stealthy meaning it doesn't look like a 5" coffee can. It looks like a stock exhaust.

The WRX catback has smaller piping. With a downpipe you really need 2.5 or 3" piping to make the downpipe worthwhile. If you connect a downpipe to your stock catback... the small diameter of the stock catback will restrict the flow enough that it'll make the downpipe's addition negligible.
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Cool, thanks for the explanation. I was under the impression that the OEM exhasut was 2.5 inches.

Is it worth removing the cat from a stock downpipe or is that a waste of time. I'm trying to cut cost by working within my means. Also, are EBay Downpipes even worth considering, or should I just be patient and try to find "known", used aftermarket exhausts.
    Last edited by Chaka2002; 07-06-2009 at 04:45 PM.

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    ps: you should look into getting a catless uppipe asap. dont wait for all the other stuff

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

I Support ClubWRX
    Cool, thanks for the explanation. I was under the impression that the OEM exhasut was 2.5 inches.
    the STi is close to 2.5"... the WRX is ~ 2.0". It's actually in millimeters and I can't remember the specific measurement... but Brfatal knows if you'd like to ask him.
    Kevin
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ

If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

Quote Originally Posted by wrxtreme06 View Post
    ps: you should look into getting a catless uppipe asap. dont wait for all the other stuff
    I'm not worried about that, I know a mechanic who's gonna help me gut the stock uppipe. I'm just trying to sort all this out so I can focus on what I need to aquire before I bring the car to him to get the work done. This is one of reasons I joined the forum, I would love to ask him all these questions but I don't really know him and we both have busy schedules.

So again thanks to everyone for the advice, you guys have been extremely helpful.

I Support ClubWRX
    be extremely cautious gutting the up pipe. If you leave any shards inside it's possible to "grenade" or ruin your turbo.
    Kevin
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ

Quote Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
    the STi is close to 2.5"... the WRX is ~ 2.0". It's actually in millimeters and I can't remember the specific measurement... but Brfatal knows if you'd like to ask him.

thanks

be extremely cautious gutting the up pipe. If you leave any shards inside it's possible to "grenade" or ruin your turbo.
    Hmmm, you guys have given me quite a bit to think about. I think it might be wiser to invest rather than cut cost..... in the long run it'll pay off. It's real easy to get carried away, I've wanted this car for ages, now that I have it..... I feel the horns growing out of my head.

I Support ClubWRX
    Hmmm, you guys have given me quite a bit to think about. I think it might be wiser to invest rather than cut cost..... in the long run it'll pay off. It's real easy to get carried away, I've wanted this car for ages, now that I have it..... I feel the horns growing out of my head.

First complete all maintenance
    Second come up with a goal for your car (fun daily driver, etc.)
    Third come up with a list of parts that meet your budget, meet your goal, and are quality (no ebay parts!)
    Fourth come to appreciate that you did steps one through three!
    Kevin
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ

I live in Montreal.... the roads are bad and the winters can be challenging at times. This is gonna be my extremely fun and practical daily driver, all year round.

I won't be lowering the suspension, I'll just end up doing some free snow removal for the city. As for turbo upgrades and all the other stuff, I doubt i'll be doing any of that unless I win the lottery.

I just want a really nice sounding exhaust that won't draw the attention of the police or wake up the neighbors.
    Last edited by Chaka2002; 07-06-2009 at 06:53 PM.

I Support ClubWRX
    I'm a stickler for getting good quality parts.

The only 2 Up Pipes I'd get are Grimspeed, and APS. Grimspeed has a ceramic coated up pipe with a flex section, and APS has a heat shielded up pipe with a flex section. You absolutely need either ceramic coating or heat shielding (that's why the stock one has it!) and a flex section! (again.. look at the stocker!)

Downpipes are pretty hard to screw up, but I'm a big fan of the invidia. When I re-work my exhaust I'm getting invidia.

Make sure you get either a pro-tune, accessport, or XPT/PDX map. With a downpipe and a tune, you'll be quicker than you can imagine.
    Kevin
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ

I'm a stickler for getting good quality parts.

The only 2 Up Pipes I'd get are Grimspeed, and APS. Grimspeed has a ceramic coated up pipe with a flex section, and APS has a heat shielded up pipe with a flex section. You absolutely need either ceramic coating or heat shielding (that's why the stock one has it!) and a flex section! (again.. look at the stocker!)

Downpipes are pretty hard to screw up, but I'm a big fan of the invidia. When I re-work my exhaust I'm getting invidia.

Make sure you get either a pro-tune, accessport, or XPT/PDX map. With a downpipe and a tune, you'll be quicker than you can imagine.
    I agree being a stickler for quality. Unfortunately my budget doesn't allow to be too choosy right now (although I would LOVE to be).

So a tune is necessary after doing the downpipe. If I were to the DP without a tuning, what would happen? Would the ECU be able to compensate, and would I be doing any major damage.

what about deleting one of the cats, would that free up the sound I'm loking for? Again, right now performace isn't really the goal as I am happy with the car as is. It's the sound I'm looking for.

Sorry about all the questions, I'm new to all this and just trying to narrow down to what's best for what I'm looking for and the budget I'm working with.

I'll even consider a custom exhaust if it'll give me what I'm looking for sound wise.
    Last edited by Chaka2002; 07-06-2009 at 07:55 PM.

I Support ClubWRX
    I agree being a stickler for quality. Unfortunately my budget doesn't allow to be too choosy right now (although I would LOVE to be).
    Then wait until you can afford it in my opinion.

So a tune is necessary after doing the downpipe. If I were to the DP without a tuning, what would happen? Would the ECU be able to compensate, and would I be doing any major damage.
    Since you're an 02... you are very lucky. Your ECU can compensate. You won't be receiving the full power without a tune though.
    Kevin
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ

Then wait until you can afford it in my opinion.

Since you're an 02... you are very lucky. Your ECU can compensate. You won't be receiving the full power without a tune though.
    With the way the economy is going I don't know if i'll be able to any time soon

thanks for your help Sinister

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.