newbie with a subie - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on newbie with a subie within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Congrats. Iv had my 09 WRX hatch for almost 3 weeks now and i absolutely love it. i orderd the ...

Congrats. Iv had my 09 WRX hatch for almost 3 weeks now and i absolutely love it.

i orderd the perrin catback this week and honestly it sounds way better than the SPT exhaust. To me the spt sounds way to muffled. The vids on perrins web site for the 08 WRX sounds awesome, the perfect boxer rumble if you ask me. My catback is scheduled for deliver on monday. Cant wait to install. I cant stand the sound of a stock WRX. Its just not right to have a boxer engine without the rumble.

Dont worry to much about a cat back voiding your warranty. Your car came with a catback exhaust from the factory didnt it? YEP. Catback are for sound and wont hurt your car.
    2009 Impreza WRX Hatch.
    Cobb AccessPort: Cobb Protune @ Draco Performance
    346 ft/lbs 289 awhp.
    Perrin CAI.
    Perrin Performance Catback.
    Perrin Performance 3" catted downpipe
    SPT boost guage.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Just read the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act... It states that the dealer must not tie you in to only their product and that they need to clearly state in writing what will void the warranty. I haven't thumbed through my warranty recently, but I don't know if they allow the tuning of your ECU.

I'm outside of my bounds on this one, so does anyone know, clearly stated, what is acceptable within the means of our powertrain warranties?

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
    Not correct. Read the Magnuson Moss act of 1975. It's regarding warranties and aftermarket parts
    Quote Originally Posted by Walkman View Post
    Just read the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act... It states that the dealer must not tie you in to only their product and that they need to clearly state in writing what will void the warranty. I haven't thumbed through my warranty recently, but I don't know if they allow the tuning of your ECU.

I'm outside of my bounds on this one, so does anyone know, clearly stated, what is acceptable within the means of our powertrain warranties?
    HOWEVER, they have a trump card: abuse. If your car makes more power than stock they can say that that is the cause of the accelerated failure. That or how you drive caused it.

The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act was written so that dealerships could not deny warranties to people who get oil changes or spark plug services elsewhere instead of at the dealership. I was not particularly written to defend those of us who modify our cars for performance.

Technically your warranty cannot be voided, but it can be denied. ECU tuning does not flat out mean you will be denied, but the dealership will have that option if they chose to use it. If it's a big repair, chances are high that they will.

That being said, a catback shouldn't affect anything.
    Last edited by brfatal; 07-06-2009 at 06:09 PM.

I Support ClubWRX
    Very true. But when they determined that my clutch failure was due to a vf39 at 18.5psi Subaru still was willing to meet me halfway on the cost of the repair. They were going to cover the labor but not repair.

Everyone is wanting to satisfy their customers right now...
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
    Very true. But when they determined that my clutch failure was due to a vf39 at 18.5psi Subaru still was willing to meet me halfway on the cost of the repair. They were going to cover the labor but not repair.

Everyone is wanting to satisfy their customers right now...
    Yah, I've gotten lucky myself as well a few times.

I was just saying that you always need to be prepared to pay out of pocket if something happens if your car is modded beyond just the very minor stuff.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by brfatal View Post
    Yah, I've gotten lucky myself as well a few times.

I was just saying that you always need to be prepared to pay out of pocket if something happens if your car is modded beyond just the very minor stuff.
    I fully agree with you. I'm just trying to impress the idea that a modification will not "Void a Warranty". The term void is used way too much, and it's not possible to void a warranty. That's why I wanted the rest of the thread to read M & M Warranty ACT of 1975. The only time a warranty truly becomes void is when the vehicle is out of the united states, because then our legal system cannot defend your claim. If I had an off road only rally car, and my glovebox latch failed... they wouldn't "Void" my warranty.

On the same note...

I have yet to hear of anyone get denied anything at or below stage 2... with the exception of the 06 stage 2's that had gear failures (I still believe there is a build date correlation to those few incidents.. but there were so few that we can't prove it.)
    Last edited by Sinister; 07-06-2009 at 06:55 PM.
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12