Hi there! First subie, have a concern...

This is a discussion on Hi there! First subie, have a concern... within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hello all, I just bought an 09 OBP WRX Hatch in June, and overall I'm loving it. I do have ...

Talking Hi there! First subie, have a concern...

Hello all,

I just bought an 09 OBP WRX Hatch in June, and overall I'm loving it. I do have one slight problem though and I'm hoping you guys/gals can help clear it up!

The thing that bothers me is a slight jerk or bucking that occurs when I'm in second gear. For example: I am fully in gear not touching the clutch and at around 2500 RPM, but when I let up even a little bit on the throttle then I feel a slight bucking of the car. I know this definitely doesn't happen in 3rd 4th or 5th gear, but not sure about first. There doesn't seem to be any bucking if I accelerate again, only if I let up.

I looked around and the things that seem to match up with my symptoms are Driveline Lash, but I can't find very much about it or if there are any ways to eliminate it, or a poorly adjusted throttle positioning sensor... My previous car was a 2000 BMW 323i, and I never experienced anything like this when letting up on the throttle. Is this just something innate to Subarus or is something wrong?

I also have a completely unrelated question that I should have learned the answer to a long time ago seeing as the BMW was manual but... when I downshift and blip the throttle, is it ok to blip it while in the downshifted gear as long as the clutch is depressed? Not sure if I have to put it into neutral gear and let up the clutch to blip first, should blip it in neutral gear with the clutch still depressed, or blip it in gear with the clutch down. Blip.

Thanks for any help!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Go to your dealership. You are under warranty, and the 09 had some production issues. It's a good idea to get it checked by a pro than by some amateurs on the world's greatest website.
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

I Support ClubWRX
    Greetings and welcome to the club!

Quote Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
    Go to your dealership. You are under warranty, and the 09 had some production issues. It's a good idea to get it checked by a pro than by some amateurs on the world's greatest website.
    Yes, please go back to the dealer.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

i've only had my 09 WRX for a few days and i can tell you i feel the exact same thing and only in second gear. i couldnt describe it more clearly than you did, and I only feel it when i let off the throttle. i figured i would drive it more defore i mentioned any concerns about it but now that you did i might as well chime in on it.

and i was also hoping for an answer to your throttle blip question since this is my first owned manual =P

I Support ClubWRX
    Good luck, please use your warranty while your still fresh meat.. Someone needs to get use out of em.

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

Quote Originally Posted by Jidet1 View Post
    when I downshift and blip the throttle, is it ok to blip it while in the downshifted gear as long as the clutch is depressed? Not sure if I have to put it into neutral gear and let up the clutch to blip first, should blip it in neutral gear with the clutch still depressed, or blip it in gear with the clutch down. Blip.

Thanks for any help!
    Its called rev matching, and its perfectly fine. It makes the downshift less harsh. Their are some good videos on youtube of people doing the heel toe method.