max rpm
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on max rpm within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hello All I am a new 09 WRX owner. Needless to say it is an amazing car. I do not ...

max rpm

Hello All

I am a new 09 WRX owner. Needless to say it is an amazing car. I do not speed and I don't intent to mod however I do enjoy accelarration. What would you recommend highest rpm to hit on everyday basis without hurting the engine. I intend to keep the WRX for 7-8 years.

thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

under-redline is a good idea :P It depends a little on how fast you shift - some people drop the clutch before they release the throttle (some never let the throttle completely cut) - if you are one of those - then shifting at 6.5 will lead you into red. I personaly enjoy acceleration as well and often shift out just before redline at least once through third almost everytime I get behind the wheel. I'm no mechanic by any means, but I've driven all of my cars like that and never had any issues with the engine or tranny.

Imprezas are meant to drive. I doubt you will hurt a stock engine by driving it in a way that it lets you (unless you are horrible at driving stick)

Keep it below red line, don't ride the clutch.

My fiance is horrible about leaving in the acceleration while shifting. When racing is one thing, but she does it just cruising down the street with her extremely slow shifting.

if you like acceleration you should shift between 5 and 6k. you lose power when you pass 6k. redlining just make you slower. if you want the most power shift between 5 and 6k. while drag racing i did both runs and i ran a slower time when i would redline. research it if you dont believe me. welcome to the club enjoy ur new subie
    278whp 286tq blouch 16g @ 17.5psi
    "My 02 wagon build" http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/everyd...gon-build.html
    Operation Iraqi Freedom x3
    WRX wagon MAFIA #68

Quote Originally Posted by 2002_wagon View Post
    if you like acceleration you should shift between 5 and 6k. you lose power when you pass 6k. redlining just make you slower. if you want the most power shift between 5 and 6k. while drag racing i did both runs and i ran a slower time when i would redline. research it if you dont believe me. welcome to the club enjoy ur new subie
    I'm a total novice, but I am a little on the fence in terms of experience - only 2.5K miles on my car, but anytime I red-sign race, I red-line before shifiting.....but when I just want that acceleration by myself, I do tend to shift closer to 6K and I definetly feel like she if gives me a littler more power (w/quick shifts) than if I red-line it......never spent the time to research that and figured it was just in my head that she would give me more in the next gear @6 - can you provide a link or two?

Quote Originally Posted by akumar View Post
    Hello All

I am a new 09 WRX owner. Needless to say it is an amazing car. I do not speed and I don't intent to mod however I do enjoy accelarration. What would you recommend highest rpm to hit on everyday basis without hurting the engine. I intend to keep the WRX for 7-8 years.

thanks
    how new? make sure you do a proper break-in before you start doing anything crazy. i know it's tough, but that 1000k mark comes quicker than you think ( i'm at 1200 now )
    2008 OBP STi
    traded in: 2004 PSM WRX
    Stink Eye Mob #25
    08+ Impreza Owners Photo Gallery...

If you really plan on keeping the car that long do yourself a favor and basically with the exception of acceleration needed to merge at high speed keep the revs below 3000 RPM. this minimizes wear and also eases up on the gas bill.

Every vehicle I have followed that practice on has given me over 100K miles of basically trouble free service.

1984 Nissan Pulsar retired after 14 years and 168K manual
    2001 Subaru Forrester 135K 5 years auto
    2006 toyota matrix 140K and climbing auto.
    2009 STI WRB
    The light at the end of the tunnel is most likely an oncoming train

I Support ClubWRX
    Hello and welcome to the Club!

The WRX is not an engine you need to redline to get plenty of performance out of.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

Quote Originally Posted by Chessie View Post
    If you really plan on keeping the car that long do yourself a favor and basically with the exception of acceleration needed to merge at high speed keep the revs below 3000 RPM. this minimizes wear and also eases up on the gas bill.

Every vehicle I have followed that practice on has given me over 100K miles of basically trouble free service.

1984 Nissan Pulsar retired after 14 years and 168K manual
    2001 Subaru Forrester 135K 5 years auto
    2006 toyota matrix 140K and climbing auto.
    Intuitively cannot disagree with you. I babied my accord which is going strong at 170k miles. At the same time wouldn't you think a car like WRX is made to survive frequent high rev? I mean if it would take such a toll that car is done in 4-5 yrs who would buy it?

Hi,
    No doubt it is designed to go to readline. However any car that does high revs a lot of its life most likely will need more spent on upkeep than one that is generally "driven calmly" all its life.

Remember this. Race car engines scream. BUT they go through a complete teardown after each day of events. They don't just change fluids afterwards and call it a done deal. It basically goes down to the block and starts over.

Considering that the WRX wants to be kept for a long time It is prudent to keep the revs within a reasonable level. Rings and cam shafts will be the first to display wear due to excessive RPM. How do I know, because I grenaded a civic engine by operating most of its life well above 3000RPM. Stretching the timing belt, Excessive wear on the cam shaft and the 2,3 cylinders lost one of the oil rings and smoke was its claim to fame after that. And the part that really tweaked my screws was that the oil and filter where changed religously on the 2500 mile mark.

Remember that Subaru wants to sell you a new car every few years or so. Parts are engineered to give reasonable service life under average conditions with the occasional 0-60 stop light trial thrown in for good measure But if every traffic light turns into a land speed record time trial then expect the engine to wear accordingly. Remember it is a mass produced product that pretty much uses the "Least" amount of material and labor to provide the "most" for the profit factor. If you have any doubt, just look at you factory warrenty period. If they were convinced that their car under normal use would go 10 years and 100K+ miles then why do we have just 3-36 coverage????

With regards to time, take a look at some of the threads where folks are having issues with new vehicles. Some are driven hard, some are normal daily driver. I honestly don't know what the average "turnaround time" is for Subaru owners (specifically WRX and STI)to get a new car. I see some folks get one every few years and I see others that have theirs for many years ( and love them). I honestly think most car companies build with the idea that in 4-6 years you will want another one with the latest toys and such.

My last facto story. My uncle has a 2002 impreza. regular no special anything. It is manual and the thing has over 200K miles on it and he NEVER had anything break on it. still has the original clutch.

Fact of gasoline engine life. You can run forever at maximum torque value and not do excessive wear on anything. BUT if you run at maximum Horsepower rating at more than 2% of the engine on time then you are going to be headed for excessive wear issues at some point.

Clear things up a little or did I really make a mess of it
    Last edited by Chessie; 07-03-2009 at 06:07 PM. Reason: forgot some stuff
    2009 STI WRB

Quote Originally Posted by Chessie View Post
    Hi,
    No doubt it is designed to go to readline. However any car that does high revs a lot of its life most likely will need more spent on upkeep than one that is generally "driven calmly" all its life.

Remember this. Race car engines scream. BUT they go through a complete teardown after each day of events. They don't just change fluids afterwards and call it a done deal. It basically goes down to the block and starts over.

Considering that the WRX wants to be kept for a long time It is prudent to keep the revs within a reasonable level. Rings and cam shafts will be the first to display wear due to excessive RPM. How do I know, because I grenaded a civic engine by operating most of its life well above 3000RPM. Stretching the timing belt, Excessive wear on the cam shaft and the 2,3 cylinders lost one of the oil rings and smoke was its claim to fame after that. And the part that really tweaked my screws was that the oil and filter where changed religously on the 2500 mile mark.

Remember that Subaru wants to sell you a new car every few years or so. Parts are engineered to give reasonable service life under average conditions with the occasional 0-60 stop light trial thrown in for good measure But if every traffic light turns into a land speed record time trial then expect the engine to wear accordingly. Remember it is a mass produced product that pretty much uses the "Least" amount of material and labor to provide the "most" for the profit factor. If you have any doubt, just look at you factory warrenty period. If they were convinced that their car under normal use would go 10 years and 100K+ miles then why do we have just 3-36 coverage????

With regards to time, take a look at some of the threads where folks are having issues with new vehicles. Some are driven hard, some are normal daily driver. I honestly don't know what the average "turnaround time" is for Subaru owners (specifically WRX and STI)to get a new car. I see some folks get one every few years and I see others that have theirs for many years ( and love them). I honestly think most car companies build with the idea that in 4-6 years you will want another one with the latest toys and such.

My last facto story. My uncle has a 2002 impreza. regular no special anything. It is manual and the thing has over 200K miles on it and he NEVER had anything break on it. still has the original clutch.

Fact of gasoline engine life. You can run forever at maximum torque value and not do excessive wear on anything. BUT if you run at maximum Horsepower rating at more than 2% of the engine on time then you are going to be headed for excessive wear issues at some point.

Clear things up a little or did I really make a mess of it
    Thanks...you make good points.

Thanks...you make good points.
    On the other hand if one has to drive it like a mini van to get decent life out of it then why buy a WRX and pay higher insurance and fill up premium fuel....just buy a civic

On the other hand if one has to drive it like a mini van to get decent life out of it then why buy a WRX and pay higher insurance and fill up premium fuel....just buy a civic

You don't have to drive it like a mini van. But in the same stance you don't want to be headed in the indy 500 catagory either. Any car or truck is a matter of personal choice and fills individual taste. Would a civic better serve your needs?? I have no idea.

If you look around really good at everyday cars you come in contact with you will see an occasional 20+ year old japan made car floating around. it usually is not in perfect shape but it still runs under its own power. Now thinking about this how many 20+ year old turbo subies do you see on the road today??
    Honestly I have seen very few if any. So does that mean they don't survive the really long run or is it that somebody is hoarding them all in some other country Now in all fairness there were probably not that many of them made so did they become extinct due to parts not being available or just that they are not worth the time and effort to make them last??

The only extremely old turbo vehicles that are still out there in high numbers are the Mercedes Benz 300D Turbo diesels
    Now also keep in mind that at least in the USA that you will see very few gasoline powered MB's from the same time frame (none)

Can a WRX last as long as a civic. Sure. Will it be as inexpensive to operate as the civic?? No. But when viewing Turbo AWD cars that go like a scalded cat and are built to deliver premium performance charateristics when compared to general off the shelf plain jane cars it is a solid winner and worth the additional costs associated with its upkeep. As long as you drive it like a 30 year old and not a 16 year old you should be able to get all expectations of lifespan out of the car with few issues if any.

2009 STI WRB

Quote Originally Posted by 2002_wagon View Post
    This is completely false. I could see short shifting on a 2.5 block TD04'd WRX thats been tuned agressively.

Think about torque multiplication. The new 2009 WRX makes its peak power at 6000 RPM. Thats only 500 RPM shy of its redline if i am correct. Running it out to redline WILL yield the best acceleration. If your getting slower times you need the driver mod.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.