New member needs help.

This is a discussion on New member needs help. within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hi i'm new on the boards but have been a long time Subaru enthusiast. I have owned 3 Sti's since ...

New member needs help.

Hi i'm new on the boards but have been a long time Subaru enthusiast. I have owned 3 Sti's since they were released in the states in 03'. I have a big issue right now with the infamous "oil pick up tube". Yes, I have fallen victim. Has anyone had any issues with this? If so post up and share your experiences. Hopefully with strong numbers of owners with the same problem, Subaru will do something about this. If you haven't no idea what i'm talking about do yourself a favor and keep reading, it might save your engine...

Here are some threads to check out:

Oil pick up tube broken... - IWSTI.com: Subaru WRX STI Forums

Official oil pickup tube failure thread - NASIOC

Oil pickup tube failures - important! - Subaru Legacy Forums

Has anyone else seen this problem? Broken oil pickup tube - Subaru Forester Owners Forum

Here's my story: Taken from another forum. Thanks for your help on this Chris:

Quote Originally Posted by Speaker Freak View Post
    I drive an 06 sti. The same exact thing happened to me on Wendesday. I was driving down the freeway and I saw my oil light click on and before I could even exit to check the oil the most horrible sound came from my engine and i started losing power. The car was towed to a dealer that I go to regularly to get my oil changed (synthetic). I had my last oil changed at 61,000 miles a month ago. When I got to the dealer the service manager checked my oil which he said was "completely full", he started the car to "diagnose" it and concluded that I blew a rod. He continued to say that since I had 63,000 miles on the car that it would not be covered under warranty and that it would cost $5,500 in parts and labor to replace the motor! I have never ever had any modification to my vehicle and between my family and I we have purchased 3 Sti's since they first came out in 2003. If this is truly a manufacturers defect, which it looks like it is - Is there anything I can do to get it fixed without paying out of pocket (barely out of warantee consideration, class action, claims court, etc) or am I just pretty much screwed?...
    Quote Originally Posted by killerbmotorsport View Post
    If you search the threads here and on NASIOC you'll find many others have gone through exactly the same thing as you. It's very unfortunate and Subaru should address this flaw.

That said, they will not issue a recall because these pickups (that have failure history) have been in use since 1996, and on many models beside the Impreza line. A recall of that magnitude could put Subaru in serious financial trouble.

So to sum up the threads (I think I've read them all, and there's a lot!) If you're still under warranty most dealers will cover it without much hassle, some will try to come up with an excuse not to (abuse), and if you're luck enough to have a good dealership near you they'll admit the known issue and fix your car. If you're out of warranty you can read through some of the threads to find what tactics work best with SOA contacts and work off of some one else's known progress route. I'm not aware of anyone that has had any success getting Subaru to replace a shortblock after warranty. There are also theads discussing class action, lawsuits, etc. If you make any progress with a suit against a company like this it will take years as they have pockets deep enough to make it take f-o-r-e-v-e-r. After which time you would have spent a considerable amount of your reseouces too. If this were a safety issue you'd have a much greater opportunity for legal justice.

I'm truly sorry to hear of your situation. I often get calls for my Ultimate Oil Pickup from guys that just had a failure/blown engine and googled it and came across my site, and had no idea this was something to watch out for. It's sad to say the least.

There are polls here and on NASIOC where you'll see MANY others who have also fallen victim to this as well. If you'd like to see a collection of other failed pickups and some basic technical stuff on the failures feel free to look HERE. Pay no attention to the "Rugedized" pickup pictures because that's an old design

If you have any other questions regarding this or anything else regarding the pickup failures please don't hessitate to ask.
    UPDATE: 06/21/09

Here is what's going on as of today. My car was sitting at my local dealership for a few weeks (Kearney Mesa) while I was researching the problem (forums, google searches, youtube, etc.) while trying to find a solution. I got a call from the service manager at Kearney Mesa Subaru (Kevin Davis) to see what I was going to do and he mentioned I had not gotten my 30,000 mile service done. I don't keep a lot of my receipts but I did happen to have that one. When I pulled it out and explained to him that I have a copy of the receipt right in front of me, he back tracked and said he remembered that I got it done and that it may be in the computer somewhere. (I would imagine so, seeing that his name was on the invoice... ) Not even a few days later, i got a voicemail from Kevin and he said that he had spoken to the regional service rep for So Cal and had good news for me. I called him back and he said that the regional service rep had offered to pay for a portion of the repair but wouldn't know how much until there was a complete "teardown" of the engine. When I asked how much he said, $1600.

To get a second opinion, I got on the horn with the next closest dealership (Bob Baker - Carlsbad) and a very nice lady from service (Dawn) answered the phone. I explained the situation and she said that it did sound like it could be a failed oil pick-up tube and that she's seen a couple of these come in before. She told me that they would have to drop the oil pan to be sure and that would be at the cost of $210 dollars. I picked up my car from Kearney Mesa Subaru a few days later and had it towed to Bob Baker. When I got there, Dawn was there to greet me.

I pulled out my laptop and proceeded to show her all the "Oil Pick Up" threads, pictures and polls that i gathered through my research on nasioc, iwsti, fastwrx etc. They dropped the pan and when I arrived a few hours later she meets me at the front and said that it was indeed the oil pick up tube and that pictures have been sent to SOA as well to my email address and that they were going to get on the horn with the area service rep and that I should gather all my maintenance records as help for my case.

Here's my dillema.
    Before I had my car towed from Kearney Mesa Subaru I asked for the complete file of all my service records and there were major gaps. Like no oil change receipt for 10,000 mile gaps... I searched through all my stuff at home that evening and found my 30,000 mile service invoice plus 3 more invoices that they didn't have on file, along with a record of engine concerns. So my question to all of you is if they are missing certain invoices of consistent oil changes - will that help or hurt my case when the regional rep comes out to look at my car?

The day my car was towed, I talked to Kevin Davis at Kearney Mesa and he even showed me the correspondence he had with the area service rep and gave me a good indication (in no uncertain terms) that the area service rep would most likely cover 50% of costs for repair. He said he felt sorry for my situation and he seems a lot nicer. I'm torn as to whether I should I keep it at Bob Baker (they have been nothing short of top notch so far), or take it back to Kevin Davis at Kearney Mesa since he has been the one who's done all my service - and show him everything, the pictures, research, and let him handle it.... Here are the pics from Bob Baker... What do you guys think I should do?

Daniel

Here are the pictures we took of your vehicle and sent along to Subaru.

Rick Nelson

I'll keep everyone updated as things progress, hopefully Subaru will do the right thing. If they do, we will be looking into buying our 4th Sti.
    Last edited by Speaker Freak; 06-21-2009 at 06:01 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    So my question to all of you is if they are missing certain invoices of consistent oil changes - will that help or hurt my case when the regional rep comes out to look at my car?
    It does not matter who has the service receipts as long as someone does and can produce them. This means that whether you have all the receipts or the dealer has all the receipts, or you and the dealer each have some receipts, if you can all produce them and generate a correct, complete service record, you can document that your warranty requirements are met.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

UPDATE 6-23-09

A resolution has finally been met with SOA and myself. I called Bob Baker Subaru yesterday just to check on the status of my repair. When Dawn got on the phone this is what she said:

"I was just about to call you. I just wanted to let you know we got the answer back from SOA and the Regional Rep and........
    they have agreed to pay for all parts to repair your engine, which will include the new short block and any additional parts that we may need to replace from other damage that may have been caused. The minimum for the parts is going to be at least $4,500. All you have to pay for is the cost of labor which will be $1,260 - which also includes the $210 we charged you to drop the oil pan, what do you think?..."

Me: "Hmmmmm..... Let me think about this for a minute.... HELL YEAH I'LL TAKE IT!"

Well after a long three weeks of research, negotiations, and a touch of luck, i finally got what i wanted. Though it wasn't completely paid for, the fact remains my car was still out of warantee. SOA and the regional rep really didn't have to do a thing if they didn't want to and this could of very easily went the wrong direction. Nevertheless, I think everyone came out with a winning hand. $1,000 for a brand new engine and a 3 Year/36,000 mile Warantee - i can't complain about that...

Thanks to:

EVERYONE on the forums, (especially KillerB) for all the insight and helpful advice, i really never could of accomplished this without you guys.

Bob Baker and Kearney Mesa Subaru for being the angels in my corner and working as a team to help expedite the process and get this thing done.

Rick Nelson and especially Dawn, if you're reading this - YOU ROCK!.

SOA: well what can I say. You guys made a believer out of me again.

Hopefully this story will echo in the forums for a long while and serve as a precedence, god forbid any other loyal Subaru enthusiast happens to fall upon the same misfortune.

Now, the wait begins...
    Last edited by Speaker Freak; 06-24-2009 at 12:40 AM.

wow that's freaking awesome! thanks for posting that

Update: 07/03/09

So I talked to Bob Baker today and they said my car was done, and instead of getting a brand new short block (like they said I would get) i got a remanufactured short block. What does that mean, should I be pissed or is there no difference?

Update 7/30/09

Hey guys. For those of you who haven't been following this thread in it's entirety, i Just recently had a short block replaced by Bob Baker Subaru in Carlsbad due to a failed oil pick up tube which threw a rod in my engine. Well I got my car back a couple days ago from Bob Baker and was happy like a kid on christmas morning. A brand new short block! Hell yeah, right?

WRONG! 50 miles on the odometer and my check engine light comes on. Confused, I drive straight back to the dealership and they pull a code for an "emmision leak". The tech John who did all the work on my car said it was caused from my gas cap not being tight enough. (Weird seeing that i never had that problem before in the previous 63, 000 miles I had put on my STi, but oh well i'll take it for what it's worth.) He tightens the cap and sends me on my way. No worries right?

WRONG! Not even 30 miles later the check engine light comes on again. I hadn't pumped gas or touched the cap since. At this point I'm starting to get really concerned seeing that the first 1,000 miles are the most criucial for my brand new engine to break in and i'm very VERY nit picky on breaking my engine in proper. I then, again, drive it back to the dealership and now they say, "We'll it's not the cap. It's a leak from "somewhere" in the back of the vehicle and couldn't be coming from the short block install because the short block is in the front of the car. So we're going to have to smoke the car and find out where the leak is and charge you an $150 to do it since it's not caused from the install."

WTF. I just paid $1400 for a new short block for something that wasn't even my fault and some damn idler pulley (which they said i needed to have replaced.) Now I have to pay extra for them to smoke my car for a problem I never had until I took my car in to Bob Baker?

1) Can dealerships do this.

2) When installing the short block could someone have put a tube on backwards or not tightened something enough to make that code come up?

2) Is my engines break in totally ****ed now. Are the rings still going to seal properly.

3) If it's something they screwed up and the rings don't seal properly, are parts replaced and do I start over again since the engine is under warranty?

What should I do, What can I do? Someone, anyone, please help because i'm going out of my mind worrying about this. thanks.

Update 7/30/09

Hey guys. For those of you who haven't been following this thread in it's entirety, i Just recently had a short block replaced by Bob Baker Subaru in Carlsbad due to a failed oil pick up tube which threw a rod in my engine. Well I got my car back a couple days ago from Bob Baker and was happy like a kid on christmas morning. A brand new short block! Hell yeah, right?

WRONG! 50 miles on the odometer and my check engine light comes on. Confused, I drive straight back to the dealership and they pull a code for an "emmision leak". The tech John who did all the work on my car said it was caused from my gas cap not being tight enough. (Weird seeing that i never had that problem before in the previous 63, 000 miles I had put on my STi, but oh well i'll take it for what it's worth.) He tightens the cap and sends me on my way. No worries right?

WRONG! Not even 30 miles later the check engine light comes on again. I hadn't pumped gas or touched the cap since. At this point I'm starting to get really concerned seeing that the first 1,000 miles are the most criucial for my brand new engine to break in and i'm very VERY nit picky on breaking my engine in proper. I then, again, drive it back to the dealership and now they say, "We'll it's not the cap. It's a leak from "somewhere" in the back of the vehicle and couldn't be coming from the short block install because the short block is in the front of the car. So we're going to have to smoke the car and find out where the leak is and charge you an $150 to do it since it's not caused from the install."

WTF. I just paid $1400 for a new short block for something that wasn't even my fault and some damn idler pulley (which they said i needed to have replaced.) Now I have to pay extra for them to smoke my car for a problem I never had until I took my car in to Bob Baker?

1) Can dealerships do this.

2) When installing the short block could someone have put a tube on backwards or not tightened something enough to make that code come up?

2) Is my engines break in totally ****ed now. Are the rings still going to seal properly.

3) If it's something they screwed up and the rings don't seal properly, are parts replaced and do I start over again since the engine is under warranty?

What should I do, What can I do? Someone, anyone, please help because i'm going out of my mind worrying about this. thanks.
    Get a lawyer

Banned
    il try that one