NEW STI Owner.. - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

This is a discussion on NEW STI Owner.. within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by SchwingY27 what weight should i get Check the owners manual?...

Quote Originally Posted by SchwingY27 View Post
    what weight should i get
    Check the owners manual?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

75w90, I think. Subaru Extra S is good. Motul, yeah. Some like Mobil 1. The 6spd is less finicky in this area then the 5spd.

Might as well do the rear diff at the same time. Make sure you use LSD oil for that. There might be an additive too (not sure).

This is definitely something you can do yourself, given your background.

I'd bet that the fluid change is going to help tremendously.
    06 GTO M6 Quicksilver, SLP 455 Bobcat, LS7 Clutch w/ SS line (RPM tune:373rwhp/373rwtq)
    07 WRX TR M5 Garnet Red Pearl w/ Straight PPGs and Cusco front LSD (Agile tune:307whp/343wtq)

Quote Originally Posted by Pavia View Post
    75w90, I think. Subaru Extra S is good. Motul, yeah. Some like Mobil 1. The 6spd is less finicky in this area then the 5spd.

Might as well do the rear diff at the same time. Make sure you use LSD oil for that. There might be an additive too (not sure).

This is definitely something you can do yourself, given your background.

I'd bet that the fluid change is going to help tremendously.
    thank you very much!

the previous owner said both diffs had a fluid change 4k miles ago. , I dont remember if he mentioned having tranny fluid change. I sent him a email to confirm it. Tomorrow ill go get some Motul 300. Thats what everyone says works good to help solve gear grinds.

Quote Originally Posted by SchwingY27 View Post
    thank you very much!

the previous owner said both diffs had a fluid change 4k miles ago. , I dont remember if he mentioned having tranny fluid change. I sent him a email to confirm it. Tomorrow ill go get some Motul 300. Thats what everyone says works good to help solve gear grinds.
    Oh. Well, the front diff is in the tranny, so it's been done 4k miles ago.

Did the guy say what brand of fluid? Maybe it's just not working out and the Motul will show improvements. I had thought it was a case of worn fluid, but I guess not.

The STI transmission is pretty stout, so I'm surprised the synchros are going.

Maybe you just have to adjust your shifting? IDK...

Well, try the Motul and see what happens. I don't have to tell you that a fluid change won't fix it if it's a real mechanical issue.

Good luck!
    06 GTO M6 Quicksilver, SLP 455 Bobcat, LS7 Clutch w/ SS line (RPM tune:373rwhp/373rwtq)
    07 WRX TR M5 Garnet Red Pearl w/ Straight PPGs and Cusco front LSD (Agile tune:307whp/343wtq)

Quote Originally Posted by Pavia View Post
    Oh. Well, the front diff is in the tranny, so it's been done 4k miles ago.

Did the guy say what brand of fluid? Maybe it's just not working out and the Motul will show improvements. I had thought it was a case of worn fluid, but I guess not.

The STI transmission is pretty stout, so I'm surprised the synchros are going.

Maybe you just have to adjust your shifting? IDK...

Well, try the Motul and see what happens. I don't have to tell you that a fluid change won't fix it if it's a real mechanical issue.

Good luck!
    hmmm yes that makes sense i guess. front diff is part of the tranny. Now i feel stupid for asking him if fluid was changed since he already told me it was. haha. It cant be my shifting... I can accelerate hard 1st gear through 6th and not have any problems at all. The ONLY time it grinds is when i downshift into 4th. I can be going as slow as 40mph sometimes. coasting in neutral and press clutch in. shift to 4th and it will grind/clunk. its very annoying considering everything else about the car is in perfect condition. I really hope I dont have to replace that syncho for $1000+

I Support ClubWRX
    An upgraded fluid like Motul 300 will definitely help. Have you tried rev matching when downshifting yet?
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    08 Audi S5 Black Diamond edition
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums

Quote Originally Posted by YBNormal07 View Post
    An upgraded fluid like Motul 300 will definitely help. Have you tried rev matching when downshifting yet?
    didnt have time to get the motul 300 today. ill do that tomorrow.

rev matching seems to work.. but this is what i noticed. if im in 6th gear and cruising anywhere from 40+mph and press in clutch, then put into 4th it will grind/ clunk a tiny bit. BUT. if i put into 5th first, let off clutch, press in clutch then go into 4th. it will not grind/clunk at all. so i guess as long as im not skipping gears im fine..

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123