Main differences between WRX/STI perfrmance
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Main differences between WRX/STI perfrmance within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Ok, I am looking at buying a wrx/sti. Most likely 04-06. My question really is about the performance differences. I ...

Main differences between WRX/STI perfrmance

Ok, I am looking at buying a wrx/sti. Most likely 04-06. My question really is about the performance differences. I have done some preliminary research but would like some feedback from owners. So with that said here it goes. I have a muscle car with plenty of torque and power and I am mechanically inclined but new to the import market. I want a car with power and handling hence suby and there rep. Obviously I know that it will be easier to find a wrx with less abuse than an sti, but I am willing to do the leg work if need be. Here are a list of questions that I have.
    1. As far as wrx's are concerned which is the better motor? 2.0L or the 2.5 06' and up? is one more easily upgradeable or reliable?

2. I want to be able to drift. Is this attainable at a stock level in either the wrx or sti at a stock level? I doubted that the wrx is but I thought the sti should be able to. Or how much work is needed for a wrx to attain this.

3. Any years that have upgraded engine/trans mounts that can better handle launches/mods?

4. Any years have stronger trans?

5. I assume the sti can break all four loose from a dead stance but can the wrx stock? (I heard the 2.5L can?) or how much work to attain this in a wrx? (I heard about 275whp)?

6. And lastly I might be answering my own question but for the price difference is it worth things that would be very expensive if able to be done at all to a wrx (i.e. adjustable diff, intercooler spray, upgraded engine, 6 MT).

So sorry for the long post but I have a lot of questions and have been cruising this site for a while gathering some info so I dont sound like a fool.
    Thanks in advance to whoever replies.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by wannasuby04 View Post
    Ok, I am looking at buying a wrx/sti. Most likely 04-06. My question really is about the performance differences. I have done some preliminary research but would like some feedback from owners. So with that said here it goes. I have a muscle car with plenty of torque and power and I am mechanically inclined but new to the import market. I want a car with power and handling hence suby and there rep. Obviously I know that it will be easier to find a wrx with less abuse than an sti, but I am willing to do the leg work if need be. Here are a list of questions that I have.
    1. As far as wrx's are concerned which is the better motor? 2.0L or the 2.5 06' and up? is one more easily upgradeable or reliable?

2. I want to be able to drift. Is this attainable at a stock level in either the wrx or sti at a stock level? I doubted that the wrx is but I thought the sti should be able to. Or how much work is needed for a wrx to attain this.

3. Any years that have upgraded engine/trans mounts that can better handle launches/mods?

4. Any years have stronger trans?

5. I assume the sti can break all four loose from a dead stance but can the wrx stock? (I heard the 2.5L can?) or how much work to attain this in a wrx? (I heard about 275whp)?

6. And lastly I might be answering my own question but for the price difference is it worth things that would be very expensive if able to be done at all to a wrx (i.e. adjustable diff, intercooler spray, upgraded engine, 6 MT).

So sorry for the long post but I have a lot of questions and have been cruising this site for a while gathering some info so I dont sound like a fool.
    Thanks in advance to whoever replies.

if u have the extra money go for an sti. It can definatly take a bigger beating and the trans is very solid. Make sure you find one with low miles. How much are you look to spend

and as far as breaking loose on all four tires, i was able to do it in my stock 05. I dont recommend it though, doesnt really accomplish anything, its just not very trans friendly.

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by wannasuby04 View Post
    06+ have the 2.5L which take to modding easier and make a bit more power

buy a 240 or an rx7

like honda said, if you can afford the sti, buy it.

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

Um lets just say an Sti is better in every way the counts. But that also cost's more. Like me I could only afford the wrx when I was in the market. But now that I can afford an sti im to far into my wrx to sell it.

but for drifting, just like sammich pwincess said, if you wanna drift dont look to wrx/sti just not cost effective in that way. Hell me im thinkin of gettin a 02 camaro so i can get the sideways bugs out of my system that i cant get from my wrx.

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    If you want to drift, an Impreza is not for you. You can't drift them.

the STi is way beyond the 2.0L WRXs.

The 2.0L have weak motors that cant handle more than about 350whp (maybe less), and the tranny is even worse.

They can be modded, but stock for stock, the STi blows the wrx away.
    Bugeye Mafia #213
    Kevin
    2002 Midnight Black Pearl WRX (Traded In!)

2012 Ice Silver Metallic STi Sedan

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by wrx0131 View Post
    the STi is way beyond the 2.0L WRXs.

The 2.0L have weak motors that cant handle more than about 350whp (maybe less), and the tranny is even worse.

They can be modded, but stock for stock, the STi blows the wrx away.
    A bit less than 350 whp. 350 whp is getting up there for STI engines as well.

Quote Originally Posted by brfatal View Post
    really?? i thought the sti could handle 400whp?
    Bugeye Mafia #213
    Kevin

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by wrx0131
    really?? i thought the sti could handle 400whp?
    350whp is about the level you really should have forged pistons ...
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    350whp is about the level you really should have forged pistons ...
    This is of course on a mustang dyno right?
    Bugeye Mafia #213
    Kevin

I Support ClubWRX
    Since no one really pointed out the biggest differences...

In my opinion... the reasons to buy an STi are....

The STi has a SureTrac Limited Slip Differential up front, the WRX has an open diff up front. The mechanical center differential has a rear bias, whereas the WRX has a 50/50 torque bias with the center diff.

The STi's 6spd can handle approximately twice as much power as the WRX's 5spd. Also the 6spd maintains boost better (by staying in the powerband), but you gain an additional shift in the 1/4 mile. (or additional 2 shifts... depending on driving styles, final drive and power levels)

The brakes on an STi are so good that they don't really need to be upgraded for the weekend warrior. The 06/07 WRX brakes are also very good, but all WRX brakes could use some freshening up if you're a weekend track warrior.

The Hubs on the 05+ STi are upgraded and have a much lower occurrence of "Knock-back" than any WRX or the 04 STi.

the 04+ STi and 06+ WRX use the same EJ25 block that is semi-closed deck, and at extreme horsepower levels, you don't have to worry about cylinder distention as early as with the EJ205 block.

But if you're into "DRIFTING" the WRX and STi are not the platform to do it. They are designed around the premise of traction. AWD is an amazing platform for a track car. Whether drag, autoX, or road racing. But they are horrible platforms for anything that involves slipping the back end around the front ON TARMAC. Dirt is a different story. But don't get twisted into the idea that a WRX is a rally car. It has rally heritage, but it is not designed around rally racing. It is possible to turn one into a Rally Car easier than many other platforms though.
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by brfatal View Post
    Again... the dynamometers are not designed the same, and do not provide the same numbers... as we all know.

My personal opinion from research is to not go above a TD06-20g on race fuel/E85, or a FPGreen-style turbo on pump fuel on the STi or 06+ block without having forged pistons.
    Kevin
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ

If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

Quote Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
    But don't get twisted into the idea that a WRX is a rally car. It has rally heritage, but it is not designed around rally racing. It is possible to turn one into a Rally Car easier than many other platforms though.
    So I'm glad you mentioned this, but here is the nub question......what does it take to bring a wrx to rally spec (please include price)?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by decrypted View Post
    So I'm glad you mentioned this, but here is the nub question......what does it take to bring a wrx to rally spec (please include price)?
    Depends on what class you're looking at. The place to look this up would be "dirtyimpreza" They're a forum dedicated to off roading impreza's... including WRXs and STi's.

In general, the EvoIII 16g turbo seems to be the favorite of amateur STi rally cars.. but that's not set in stone.. just an observation of mine! In addition, long travel rally coil overs, and dirt tires / wheels are all necessities.

If you look at Anson's setup... that's a gorgeous rally wagon in my opinion.
    Kevin
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast