part mystery...

This is a discussion on part mystery... within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I recently took the car in to have some AC work done (03 wrx wagon). To make a long story ...

part mystery...

I recently took the car in to have some AC work done (03 wrx wagon). To make a long story short, the air wouldn't blow cold and the mechanic told me it was a thermistor. He had trouble ordering the part and I ended up getting it back five days later because it was completely useless for me to be inconvenienced without a car if no work was being done at the time. I have had the car back for almost a month and the air miraculously has worked without a hitch or problem for the last 800 miles...until today. Back to my story, completely baffled by this part that I never knew existed (not the thermostat...a thermistor, who knew?) He told me that it would probably run somewhere under $50 for the part (when he found it) and no more than $300 for the entire fix. He told me that it was somewhere buried in the dash and that was the reason for the high cost. Does anyone know how buried in the dash it is and if it is even possible to do it myself. Lately I have also noticed the compressor clutch clicking/hissing every time it engages (it sounds like running through a puddle). Is that normal for an older compressor clutch or am I doomed to have to replace it? Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

36 people have seen this and nobody knows what's up. That's not a good sign...

Quote Originally Posted by subcon View Post
    I recently took the car in to have some AC work done (03 wrx wagon). To make a long story short, the air wouldn't blow cold and the mechanic told me it was a thermistor. He had trouble ordering the part and I ended up getting it back five days later because it was completely useless for me to be inconvenienced without a car if no work was being done at the time. I have had the car back for almost a month and the air miraculously has worked without a hitch or problem for the last 800 miles...until today. Back to my story, completely baffled by this part that I never knew existed (not the thermostat...a thermistor, who knew?) He told me that it would probably run somewhere under $50 for the part (when he found it) and no more than $300 for the entire fix. He told me that it was somewhere buried in the dash and that was the reason for the high cost. Does anyone know how buried in the dash it is and if it is even possible to do it myself. Lately I have also noticed the compressor clutch clicking/hissing every time it engages (it sounds like running through a puddle). Is that normal for an older compressor clutch or am I doomed to have to replace it? Thanks.
    I would take the car elsewhere if you cant figure out the problem. Dont fall for mechanics' bull****. Just take the car somewhere else and get a second opinion.
    Bugeye Mafia #213
    Kevin
    2002 Midnight Black Pearl WRX (Traded In!)

2012 Ice Silver Metallic STi Sedan

Quote Originally Posted by wrx0131 View Post
    I would take the car elsewhere if you cant figure out the problem. Dont fall for mechanics' bull****. Just take the car somewhere else and get a second opinion.
    I have taken several cars to this guy before and haven't had any problems with him, so for the most part, I trust what he says. The last time I second guessed him, I ended up paying three times what he said he would charge and had the same work done. I have done some more research since my last post and realized that there are usually multiple thermistors in an automotive system and that (from what I have gathered) they are electronic parts that do nearly the same thing as a thermostat. There is an AC shop right near my house maybe I should let them check it out and see what they have to say. Anyone who knows anything about these AC systems, please relay the information...thanks.

Flirty User That's Younger Than the Chunks of Corn in Brian's Crap

I have the same problem, but I haven't gone to a mechanic yet. I worked perfectly fine last summer, and now it doesn't ...
    2002 WRX Yellow Blaze

Bugeye Mafia #216

High Mileage Club

Quote Originally Posted by WRXie View Post
    I have the same problem, but I haven't gone to a mechanic yet. I worked perfectly fine last summer, and now it doesn't ...
    same here
    Bugeye Mafia #213
    Kevin
    2002 Midnight Black Pearl WRX (Traded In!)

2012 Ice Silver Metallic STi Sedan

Quote Originally Posted by WRXie View Post
    It still works I think it's just on its way out the door. It blows warm for about 10-15 seconds every couple of minutes...then comes the clutch hiss and then it's like standing in front of an open freezer door. I haven't driven a car without AC in like seven years and the temp is hovering around 90 with about 80% humidity so I am nervous that it's going to go out soon...and the car is black. damn.