Quick advice before purchase.

This is a discussion on Quick advice before purchase. within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey my names Ron. Im in the market for a wrx and I came across one that Im considering for ...

Quick advice before purchase.

Hey my names Ron. Im in the market for a wrx and I came across one that Im considering for purchase. Its an 06 with 26k on it. Well maintained. Good looking car. What worries me is that it has an aftermarket blow-off valve. I can tell what brand it is and if its atmospheric or re-circulatory. Can anyone tell me what brand it is by looking at it in this picture? Ive read that atmospheric bov's make the motors run rich and Im worried that the bov on this wrx is atmospheric. If I got this all wrong please correct me. I appreciate the help everyone! Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

First of all, Welcome to the club.

Looks like GFB to me (Go Fast Bits). Check over the entire car, give it a test drive and take it to a knowledgeable mechanic.

A BOV isn't a huge problem. It's easily replaced and shouldn't hurt the car too badly. The venting of metered air will make the car run rich slightly, but not enough to make your car asplode.

The biggest problems that could arise are the fouling of spark plugs and weakening of the catalytic converter (it'll do its job less efficiently).

Other than that, look over the entire car. Since the smart guy put an aftermarket bov, s/he might've put several more modifications on it.

Good luck.
    --Justin

Hawk-Eye Alliance #128

Thanks for the help. Yea Im going to take a look at the car on thursday. Thats good to know that a bov wont hurt the car alot. Im hoping they owner still has the stock one.

I Support ClubWRX
    With only 26k on the clock, you probably don't have to worry about any of the problems I have listed below, but just be warned that these are the worst case scenarios with a BOV, and this is why I won't own one.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinister
    Here's what the deal is... A RBV (Recirculating Bypass Valve) is what we have stock. It relieves pressure in the intake tract between the turbo and throttle body on shifts. The excess air, is then directed back into the intake tract by a hose that connects to the turbo inlet hose. All of this air has already been metered by the MAF because it's before all of this in the intake tract.

A BOV does the exact same thing, but instead of injecting it back into the intake tract (where it was pre-metered) it's now being blown off to the atmosphere. You'll commonly hear this called "VTA" or Vent To Atmosphere.

The problem is... the air that gets vented to the atmosphere was already metered by the MAF (Mass Airflow Sensor). So on shifts with a BOV, you get a temporary rich condition. Most people think that it's a "cool" sound, and the fire balls that a BOV can cause (if you're catless) are cool. What they don't realize is the negative repercussions. There are 3 major ones.

1) The excess fuel in the cylinders causes "cylinder wash". Excess fuel washes the oil off of the cylinder. This causes extra wear on the cylinder walls, and piston rings. It also, in turn, mixes fuel with oil, and lowers octane for those strokes. This can cause knocking (WHICH IS BAD!!) but is not noticeable without a computer hooked up to your car. This decreases performance.

2) The excess fuel, means very "sooty" exhaust because all of the fuel cannot be burned because the air to fuel ratio isn't "stoich". This will foul your catalytic converter. There was recently a guy on our forums that reported that he installed a BOV on his car, and within 6 months had ruined his catalytic converter. This means big time problems when you go for your emissions testing... and also, it means more build-up on your catalytic converter element. This means more back pressure, which we all know is the enemy of performance on a turbo-charged car.

3) The turbo loses it's spool easier. With the air being lost to the atmosphere, the turbo doesn't have airflow coming in to keep the spooling up. This means that you actually lose performance because the turbo is spinning slower, generating lower boost at the beginning of your next gear. So acceleration is decreased.

There are 3 VERY solid reasons to avoid getting a BOV. If you are fine with losing performance, reliability, and your emissions certification just for a "pshhhh" then by all means get it.

Now if you want the sound, but not the issues... get a K&N Short Ram Intake. It allows you to hear the air that's getting injected back into the intake tract because there is no silencer. It sounds just like a Blow Off Valve, but without the issues. In addition, it adds the sucking sound of the air rushing through the filter, and the whirring of the air impacting the impeller wheel.
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

Awesome thanks alot!

Quote Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
    With only 26k on the clock, you probably don't have to worry about any of the problems I have listed below, but just be warned that these are the worst case scenarios with a BOV, and this is why I won't own one.
    WoW.... very informative...im new on these forums and im also going to look at rex wagon.... first time i try subaru, but with mitsu is going out of bussiness, i can live with it...cant wait to become part of the subii fam....

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by rfital87 View Post
    Awesome thanks alot!
    Sure!

Quote Originally Posted by TWRXX View Post
    WoW.... very informative...im new on these forums and im also going to look at rex wagon.... first time i try subaru, but with mitsu is going out of bussiness, i can live with it...cant wait to become part of the subii fam....
    Can't wait to have you!
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

Question... I'm a car guy adn buying cars and waisting money it my thing...lol.... can i be pointed in the direction of parts and acces for the subie.... show and go goodies... that are not overly priced but worth doing.... my wagon is a daily but i also like to do the local car shows on the weekends? Thanks...

To the Mods i have to say that i'm very happy with this forum, i don't see alot of bulls hit.... many helpful threads and people on here... thanks for all the help....

~>Ray

So did u buy it?
    --Justin

Hawk-Eye Alliance #128

Not yet. I test drove it today and it runs perfect! Shifts perfect, clutch engagment is smooth. Clean interior and exterior and the car pulls. I talked her down to $14,800. I just have to wait for the bank to come through and I have to get rid of my car. Anyone looking for a 99 integra GS-R? lol. Im trying real hard to get this subbie.

What do you guys think about and 04 wrx wagon, 99,000k, for $11,900? The Wagon is completely stock... no signs of mods, engine is quiet...seam to have a little hop at idle, i don't know if it was the weather... it had a bit of white smoke... At that milage would it have smoking, headgasket, oil consumtion issues?? Interior was clean, seat could probably use a lil bit more cleaning....i've never owned a subie... does that sound normal, worth the price? I going in 2morrow and offer $9k... would that be to low? Should i not even waist my time... also what is the normal milage for timing belt replacement?? Sorry one last thing....at 100k what do in need to look for in a subie?? I don't wanna spend 10g and have to spend another 5g to get it running right..... Thanks

~>Ray