newb from alaska
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on newb from alaska within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; hey all my name is matt and i finally got a subie. its an 03 wrx wagon, and im lovin ...

newb from alaska

hey all my name is matt and i finally got a subie. its an 03 wrx wagon, and im lovin it so far. basically its stock right now and im looking to upgrade little by little as i learn. since i live in alaska i feel i should go more rally than street performance due to snow banks and such lol. any ideas on were to start? im thinking skidplates for protection but really not sure what else i should do, or where to go with the engine mods as of yet but wanna do something (intake, recirculating bov?) thanks for the help.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome!

When you say rally... I'm assuming you're not speaking of doing a legitimate rally car. You're just saying you don't want to drop the car lower, and add high performance tires, right?

Well... Don't worry about a Recirculating BOV... you have one stock. (RBV = Recirculating Bypass Valve = Same as RBOV). If you want to be able to hear it, get a K&N or SPT Short Ram Intake, and it'll sound like you have a Blow Off Valve.

Get a short ram intake (SRI), most CAIs (cold air intakes) cause MAF readings to be off because of a swirling effect, or the MAF tube isn't exactly right.

If you're just wanting a bit more performance than stock... get a Turbo Back Exhaust and some form of Engine Management. You'll feel like you have a new car!

Since you have an 03... the very first modification you absolutely should do... is a cat-less up pipe. It's possible for the catalyst element in the catalytic converter to fragment, and destroy the turbo. I have seen this happen first hand on a stock turbo.

Any questions about this stuff, feel free to IM/PM me, or ask on the boards!

Welcome!
    -Kevin
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

I don't know if Alaska has it, but in Washington, there's the "Northwest Package." They put something (I don't know the material), under your car, to prevent deterioration from salt.

Other than that, you might want to invest in awesome tires, first.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Organ Donor View Post
    I don't know if Alaska has it, but in Washington, there's the "Northwest Package." They put something (I don't know the material), under your car, to prevent deterioration from salt.

Other than that, you might want to invest in awesome tires, first.
    It's just an anti-corrosive/anti-oxidation undercoating / AKA Rust Proofing. Sounds like they put a catchy nick-name on it at your dealership.

Tires is a good plan... but since Matt's afraid of the snow... then either he needs a great set of all seasons, or 2 sets of tires.. summers / blizzaks. Which is very costly.
    Kevin
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ

If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

thanks guys and nice pic sinister i love some AB ale, its hard to find up here though

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by mattman1383 View Post
    thanks guys and nice pic sinister i love some AB ale, its hard to find up here though
    Haha.. I'm sure it is! I have a hard enough time finding it in colorado.

Your Alaskan IPA is freakin good though!
    Kevin
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ

lol yeh it is the whites even better

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by mattman1383 View Post
    lol yeh it is the whites even better
    I think that's the seasonal IPA for the winter, right?

I had it at our Old Chicago's when they had the winter beer tour going. Pretty good.
    Kevin
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ

right on

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX
    welcome
    ScoobyDMC #000,HawkEyeAlliance#000,Blobeye Syndicate #000, SQC-NY #009, "Dragon Slayer"
    "All We'll Drive"

I <3 boobies: rallyarmor/keepabreast/mud flaps limited edition

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.