Turbo Timer? - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Turbo Timer? within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Ok, so then I have alot to learn about turbos, since this is my first car with one. So how ...

Ok, so then I have alot to learn about turbos, since this is my first car with one. So how about a bov? Are they ok to get? Ive heard from many wrx owners that its not a good thing to get for this car. LOL but man do I love the sound of it!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    "2002MY WRX TURBO COOL DOWN PROCEDURE
    FHI's position regarding this is that it is not necessary to perform a "cool down/idling" procedure, as was recommended with past turbo models. Our current 2.0L turbo engine has a far greater cooling capacity and, coupled with technology advances, makes this practice no longer necessary. This explains why information about cool down is not included in the 2002MY Impreza Owner's Manual.

The heat contained in the turbo charger will begin to vaporize the coolant at the turbo charger after the engine is stopped. This hot vapor will then enter the coolant reservoir tank which is the highest point of the coolant system. At the same time the vapor exits the turbo charger, coolant supplied from the right bank cylinder head flows into the turbo. This action cools the turbo charger down. This process will continue until the vaporizing action in the turbo charger has stopped or cooled down."

YOU DON'T NEED A COOL DOWN PERIOD OR TURBO TIMER!!

A Turbo Timer is designed to keep the OIL from cooking inside of an oil cooled turbo. We don't have an oil cooled turbo. It's oil lubricated, and water cooled. If you're having second thoughts.. re-read my above post.
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by TurboKimchi View Post
    Ok, so then I have alot to learn about turbos, since this is my first car with one. So how about a bov? Are they ok to get? Ive heard from many wrx owners that its not a good thing to get for this car. LOL but man do I love the sound of it!!!
    time out! stop & start from ground zero before you touch your car at all.

read these:
    Unabomber's Manifesto - NASIOC

Engine Performance FAQ [[[READ ME]]]

Yes, you need an EM for engine mods

http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/engine...ov-thread.html

and after you're done & know your car like the back of your hand- THEN you can start modding.

subarus are picky picky picky.

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

I Support ClubWRX
    TurboKimchi... Just noticed you're local...

Give me a PM on here, or IM on AIM, and I'd be glad to meet up for a burger, and show you around your car, and help you out a bit.
    Kevin
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ

If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

I Support ClubWRX
    Not to mention our cars also have a factory oil cooler as well which aids in reduced engine and turbo wear and tear.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

So our turbos are water cooled? even in the 09 WRX?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
    YOU DON'T NEED A COOL DOWN PERIOD OR TURBO TIMER!!

A Turbo Timer is designed to keep the OIL from cooking inside of an oil cooled turbo. We don't have an oil cooled turbo. It's oil lubricated, and water cooled. If you're having second thoughts.. re-read my above post.

I Support ClubWRX
    The turbos are all water cooled. It is becoming more and more difficult to find turbos that are not water cooled.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I considered a timer for it's other available options, like air/fuel ratio, digital tachometer, top speed recording, shift light, etc.... things that are available on a couple of models, and they are $100 or less. Some are offerred with harness on eBay at that price.

I finally decided against it, because the A/F ratio is narrowband, tachs notoriously innacurate, shift light a total bork, therefore not useful...

If Subaru had built a car in the last 6 years that died after 50k miles of driving, no one would like Imprezas, no one would buy them, and they would get laughed at all the time.

Leave it stock, and change the oil, etc., and it can last a million miles if driven gently enough. It is unlikely, but it is not impossible. There are totally stock Imprezas in Maine (where I am), which have over a half million miles, I have seen this myself, and it is why I have mine.

Mine won't make it that far without a lot of love, I have already done the damage we do.

somewhere in the nowhere of somethings mind eye of a nothing
    yes u dont need a turbo timer, did i get one yes. y? cause wen im the highway or a long drive i dont want to sit there 'just in case' i rather get out wit no worries. so plz no s**t for it.

i got an apex'i for 80 bucks and it came with the harness...
    "if you want peace, prepare for war", latin proverb and common sense
    "Why do penguins take smoke breaks?"

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 03subiedude View Post
    yes u dont need a turbo timer, did i get one yes. y? cause wen im the highway or a long drive i dont want to sit there 'just in case' i rather get out wit no worries. so plz no s**t for it.

i got an apex'i for 80 bucks and it came with the harness...
    You wasted your money if that's why you got one. You don't need to sit on the car for it to cool down after a steady highway drive on the behalf on the turbo. Why? Your turbo isn't scolding hot. The only time you would legitimately have to is if you just did 5 laps at Infineon or Buttonwillow.

Quote Originally Posted by Nyccandyman View Post
    So our turbos are water cooled? even in the 09 WRX?
    No turbocharged, non-exotic car has come stock with an oil-only cooled turbo since the mid 90s.
    Last edited by brfatal; 08-14-2009 at 10:52 PM.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    The turbos are all water cooled. It is becoming more and more difficult to find turbos that are not water cooled.
    Even aftermarket ones.
    Kevin
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ

If a cool turbo is something you are really concerned with, there are nice heat shields out there, you can upgrade the oil/coolant lines to stainless braided ones, the coolant tank can be replaced with billet, and if you have time and the desire, you can pull the turbo out and polish it. The polishing won't make a major difference, but having it completely clean will help if it is presently dirty at all. It is remarkable that a clean engine does run several degrees cooler than a dirty one.

For the same money as a good turbo timer costs, you can do all of the above and probably have a few dollars left over. Heat shield -$50, braided lines -$40, cleaning -$0-20.

Cusco is about to send out it's turbo heat shields to several vendors who are backordered, it is a good time to get your orders in.

It is not seen as often, does not add lights and beeps to the interior, but years from now a shield will possibly prevent a labor charge and parts replacement. A turbo timer will only add to the likelyhood of having to go back and do some sort of re-do...

Cobb has a nicely made heat shield also... as does SPT, and Nasioc has a nice DIY for around $20-30. Along with this, if you have a short ram intake, you can build or buy a heat shield for it which can divert some heat from that area also, while keeping the intake charge air slightly cooler (not so important, but looks pretty nice).

Good luck on this, our (OEM) turbos are quite good for their longevity and cool operation. I doubt there is any real cause for concern.

Our primary heat issue is heat-soaked intercoolers. There are many fixes for it, and it is wise to do at least one. The heat-soaked intercooler can cause Cyl 3 plug fouling, and a few other issues. A search will quickly show you the other problems that this creates. Sprayers, aftermarket TMICs, inlet and coupling upgrades, FMIC kits, etc., are all methods tried and true for helping with this.

Ultimately, the turbo timer is a gadget, like a dashboard-mounted clock. It redundantly performs a task which is already being adequately handled by other accessories (any aftermarket radio with a digital display will have a clock).

Not sure if this is similar to the "Big BOV Thread", where all BOV questions are repeated over time... I do not want to offend anyone, and I do hope that my information is accurate.

I Support ClubWRX
    SPT heat shield isn't a turbo heat shield. It's an intercooler heatshield that works in conjunction with a stock size turbo heat shield. (Works fine with my cobb). It's mostly bling, and may actually hurt the performance of the IC because it catches the heat and conducts it through to the intercooler end tanks. That's never been proven one way or another to my knowledge.

All that you mentioned are upgrades that IMO aren't worth their weight in gold. There is no need to upgrade coolant lines on a stock turbo, the stock turbo heatshield is better than any aftermarket... it just doesn't fit most aftermarket downpipes... and how're you going to "Clean" the turbo?

The Cylinder issue you're referring to isn't from a heat-soaked intercooler. The back right cyl is the closest to the turbo... with a large turbo that is not blanketed, or even a small one without the heatshield... the cylinder's EGTs can get to temperatures that are high enough to melt some plugs, and cause other issues.
    Kevin
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ

nice

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
    SPT heat shield isn't a turbo heat shield. It's an intercooler heatshield that works in conjunction with a stock size turbo heat shield. (Works fine with my cobb). It's mostly bling, and may actually hurt the performance of the IC because it catches the heat and conducts it through to the intercooler end tanks. That's never been proven one way or another to my knowledge.
    The Cobb piece is the same thing. It's an engine dress up item, not a functional shield.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.