i did it!
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on i did it! within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; last night, picked up my 09 hatchback WRX premium (had to get the moon roof) in dark gray!!! it looks ...

i did it!

last night, picked up my 09 hatchback WRX premium (had to get the moon roof) in dark gray!!! it looks and feels amazing. this is my first subaru (first brand new car, too), so i'll have to be extra careful with it. since this is my first subaru (and AWD car).. and pointers or things i should be aware of?

first thing i can't remember .. is if the salesperson said not to exceed 4000RPM for the first 1000 or 4000 miles?!

next thing i can't find... premium package claims to have 10 speakers .. where are they?
    i see 2 in each front door and 1 in each rear door .. that makes 6.. or do the bottom door grills hide 2 speakers each?

another thing i can't figure out... the boost gauge has inMg on one half PSI on the other half. Normal driving has the needle at about 20inMg.. is that normal? or is the boost gauge not calibrated correctly?
    when i step on the gas (not very hard), as the RPMs climb (not too quickly), the boost gauge goes from 20inMg to 0.. i have seen it jump a little to the PSI side... i'm just very confused by this thing.
    since it is a new car, i haven't been able to really test out the boost gauge, but i assumed its rest position would be at 0 (it sits at zero when the car is turned off)

another thing i was confused about. the salesperson claimed OEM subaru oil filter is better than a filter i can pick up at advanceauto (or some other auto shop).. is that true?
    is there anything special about the oil subaru dealerships use? Or would any fully synthetic, like mobil 1 or vavoline work the same?

so far, at about 50 miles on the car .. i love it. so much fun to drive!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Congrats on the purchase!

The Subaru break-in procedure is not to exceed 4000 RPM in the first 1000 miles. I did not follow this break in. I nearly redlined it several times in the test drive, and beat on it nicely in the first 1000 miles. This is a debatable topic, but I believe that this is good for the piston ring seals and does not harm the motor. I waited until 1000 miles to take it to the track, though.

It's in.Hg, and that's vaccuum, not boost. That's normal if you're not in boost.

I would not put synthetic in your car until at least a couple thousand miles are on it, just to ensure the rings seat properly. Just use the recommended 5W-30 conventional oil for now. For the oil filter, it doesn't really matter. Subaru's OEM filters are nice, but expensive.
    2009 DGM WRX 5-door w/ STI short shifter. Stock...for now.

Quote Originally Posted by Cicatrize View Post

It's in.Hg, and that's vaccuum, not boost. That's normal if you're not in boost.
    oops .. meant Hg.. i was thinking Mercury as i wrote and used the 'M'..

anyways .. is that gauge not really a boost gauge? or is the PSI side boost and the in.Hg side vacuum?

more on that .. what does a vacuum gauge tell me?

Quote Originally Posted by minileprechaun View Post
    oops .. meant Hg.. i was thinking Mercury as i wrote and used the 'M'..

anyways .. is that gauge not really a boost gauge? or is the PSI side boost and the in.Hg side vacuum?

more on that .. what does a vacuum gauge tell me?
    It is a boost gauge if it has PSI or bar on it with a positive number. I don't have the premium, so I don't know what it looks like, but it's probably a standard boost/vacuum gauge.

You will have vacuum when at idle due to negative pressure in the manifold, but the pressure will rise to 0 during normal operation, I think.
    2009 DGM WRX 5-door w/ STI short shifter. Stock...for now.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.