New09WRX

This is a discussion on New09WRX within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Well, my odometer just hit 500 miles on my new '09 WRX sedan that I got last week. I've been ...

New09WRX

Well, my odometer just hit 500 miles on my new '09 WRX sedan that I got last week. I've been trying to go easy on it and break it in correctly, but it's tough. I absolutely love it so far, and I know I'll only love it more when I can actually do some spirited driving. Here's a cell phone pic:

I got a decent deal on it--just under $24k. It's the base model, but came with the boost gauge, fog lights, footwell lights, and some other crap that just ends up adding more weight. I also got a good deal on a 5 yr/100k mile bumper-to-bumper warranty for $800. I was tired of making and paying for repairs on my '01 Celica GT-S, so I'm looking forward to having someone else foot the bill when something breaks. I have a couple of questions, though:

1. What upgrades can be made without voiding the warranty?
    2. Can I do the work myself, or do I have to have them done at the dealer?
    3. Is anything logged in the ECU if I exceed the recommended 4000 RPM during the first thousand miles? I know it sounds paranoid, but I don't want to risk losing the warranty for something stupid like that.

I'm not considering anything major at this point, but that will probably change. I'd definitely like to have the short-throw shifter sometime soon, though. About the only thing I miss from my Celica is the six speed (maybe the brakes, too, but that's an easy fix). The shifter in the WRX is pretty loose, and I have to watch that I don't try to go into sixth (reverse). Of course, the STS will only take care of the first problem.

I'm going to ask the dealer the same questions, naturally, but just thought I'd see if anyone had prior experience with WRX warranty work and mods.

And finally, has anyone had problems posting if their title has a space in it? I tried about ten different times, but I couldn't preview or post unless I had a no-space title. I know it sounds weird, but it's the only way I could get it to work.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by drrockandroll View Post

1. What upgrades can be made without voiding the warranty?
    2. Can I do the work myself, or do I have to have them done at the dealer?
    3. Is anything logged in the ECU if I exceed the recommended 4000 RPM during the first thousand miles? I know it sounds paranoid, but I don't want to risk losing the warranty for something stupid like that.
    1. Any upgarde that is offered from subaru. Anything else and ur asking for an arguement if work must be done. Some dealers are better than others w/ upgrades.

2.I was told that if i do the service work (oil, air filter changes etc) to keep meticulous records to back up your claims.

3. I would say no but that is just my opinion not fact, if anybody knows for sure jump in on this one.

Congrats on the new WRX!
    Who wants to have some FUN!
    ---Stink-Eye Mob #26---

Congrats on the new sc00by

Hi there Hangout
    I to have a new 2009 WRX sedan I was looking at putting a boost gauge in but would like to now where Subaru have mounted this gauge could you please post a pic

Dagger, here's a pic of my factory boost gauge:

It's late here, so that's the best I could do. The boost gauge is in the upper right, mounted on top of the dash. It's kind of tacky, but it serves its purpose. I'd rather see it integrated into the A-pillar, but they chose to slap it on top of the dash at the factory. Oh well.

In an effort not to get this thread totally hijacked, I'd still appreciate any additional info regarding the Subaru warranty, self-installed Subaru-approved mods, and any ECU logging that may be done during the break-in period (see original post). Thanks!

nice ride the same color imma get soon but premium

is the boost gauge nessecary on all wrx?

Thx for the pic gives me an idea of where to put my Defi gauge

Welcome to the club.

Regarding the warranty, a dealership cannot void an entire warranty for aftermarket parts. If they can prove that your mod caused the damage that needs to be repaired, they can deny your claim, but they can't just kill the entire warranty.

For example, say you add a TBE and Cobb AP and then your suspension has some kind of malfunction. More than likely, it is safe to assume your mods did not cause the problem. Your warranty will cover the cost of repairs to your suspension.

As for the ECU logging, most definitely does it record your RPMs and keep track of them. I have had that told to me by several people at my dealership.
    2009 WRX Premium - Stock (for now)

HokieRex, just to be clear, you're saying that the ECU definitely logs RPMs? If it does, how does it log it? RPM vs. time (that would get to be a pretty big file), max RPM, or average RPM? How long does it keep the log before overwriting it with new values?

Does it also log speed?

How would one go about accessing these logs? Can they be altered or erased?

I'm not sure of the details behind what exactly it logs, but I was told that if necessary a dealership can send the car's ECU to SOA and they can read off the things like the maximum RPM and get a basic "driving history" if you will of the car.

They could have just been blowing smoke though, but I trust my dealership enough to believe them.

As for how to access and/or erase them, I imagine getting some kind of EM with data logging capability will allow you to access them. Erasing I am not sure about, someone with a little bit more technical knowhow might be better able to answer that.
    2009 WRX Premium - Stock (for now)