To buy or not to buy

This is a discussion on To buy or not to buy within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Sup guys... new to the forum. I've been lurking for the last few days. I found a WRX on Craigslist ...

To buy or not to buy

Sup guys... new to the forum. I've been lurking for the last few days. I found a WRX on Craigslist that I wouldn't mind having, and the more I look at them, or the STi's, the more I want one. I've wanted one for a long time, but could never find a decent one around me.

Right now though, I have a 2004 Audi A4 3.0 V6 quattro with the ultra-sport package. It's not bad, but I would rather have another AWD vehicle, and definately something turbo.

I think my first question to you guys would be, should I buy the WRX, or wait until I find a decent, used, STi? Here is the link to the one near me that I am considering buying; 2002 WRX moded very fast **REDUCED**

I realize that it is ultimately my choice, but are you WRX owners happy with what you have, or would you rather have an STi?

Anyway, I'm here... Like I said, I've been lurking for a few days now, so I'll probably end up staying for a while. And, sorry for the retardedly long intro...

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    I'd rather have a WRX than an STi for all years except 2008 or 2009, but I'd not buy a modified car. However my needs and preferences may not match yours or even be popular on this site.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Do you mind me asking why you would rather have a WRX? Is it just for insurance and the overall price you'd be paying for it?

BTW, I fully intend on getting the price down based on how well it has been maintained, whether or not the timing belt has been changed, and more obvious things... I wouldn't pay the asking price. I would be happy withpaying about 8 grand though. Do you guys think that is too much? KBB says the price should be around 8-9 grand.

welcome to the forum, trust me youll probably stay around even if you dont end up buying a wrx. well first you are a lot better off buying a car that has not been modified at all, but if you must buy a modded one realize that you could be steeping into a heap of trouble and problems. One of the mods that you want to stay away from is a BOV, ( theres a great sticky about it around here somewhere, us search its very helpful). another thing to a void is if the car has been modded make sure that there is some kind of supporting engine management to accompany it ie, cobb accessport. there is also a car purchasing thread around here that you should take a look at. good luck finding a suby and if you do try to post the link to see if any of the senior guys/girls around here can help you out with you choice. sorry for the long post
    2007 WRB WRX Limited SOLD
    2008 QSM Legacy Spec.B

I posted a link so people can see whether or not it might be worth it. I'm still looking around the forum, so we'll see what kind of info I can get my head wrapped around.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Pestilaence View Post
    Do you mind me asking why you would rather have a WRX? Is it just for insurance and the overall price you'd be paying for it?
    The WRX is the better road car of the two for the years mentioned. Insurance and price aren't much of an issue in our case but for those in a different situation, the STi versions also typically mean literally shoveling money at insurance companies once a month - not my style.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Yeah, I know insurance will be more...

Having owned an 04 STi and now an 09 WRX, my personal opinion is the STis from 04-08 or the WRX for 09. Up until this model year, the WRX has been significantly below the STi in performance. But now, my 09 WRX is actually faster than my 04 STi was, and I love it!
    2009 WRX Premium - Stock (for now)