Not HOW to learn manual....but WHERE to learn manual??? - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on Not HOW to learn manual....but WHERE to learn manual??? within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I remember my first time. HA. It was my dad's "company car." An 80-something Vista Colt. Why they had this ...

I remember my first time. HA.

It was my dad's "company car." An 80-something Vista Colt. Why they had this car, made no sense to me. Considering the owner of the company owned a 67 E-type Jaguar, perfect condition, and several other nice cars, and is a millionaire.

Anyways, The Colt had no side-view mirrors, and no RPM gauge. So, I had to do everything by ear, which surprisingly, went well.

Anyways, The best place to learn manual is in a Honda. Their catch point is so large, you can't miss it. You can easily find Civics on CL for $300. Or, like many have said, ask a friend with a crappy car.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Organ Donor View Post
    I remember my first time. HA.

It was my dad's "company car." An 80-something Vista Colt. Why they had this car, made no sense to me. Considering the owner of the company owned a 67 E-type Jaguar, perfect condition, and several other nice cars, and is a millionaire.

Anyways, The Colt had no side-view mirrors, and no RPM gauge. So, I had to do everything by ear, which surprisingly, went well.

Anyways, The best place to learn manual is in a Honda. Their catch point is so large, you can't miss it. You can easily find Civics on CL for $300. Or, like many have said, ask a friend with a crappy car.
    i think buying a crappy MT car is a good idea...nice to also have as a beater

Quote Originally Posted by greenc51 View Post
    i find this to be far from true....

first time i ever drove an STI, the dealer gave me the keys and said "make a right out of the lot, go to the stop light and come back. have fun"

i was novice at best with manual so i used this as time to learn the basics. didnt stall, but i sure burned the clutch
    2004 PSM WRX Kartboy Short Shifter, SPT Cold Air Intake, TurboXS Turboback Exhaust, Cobb AccessPort Stage II
    Blobeye Syndicate #123
    Dirty Crew #123

Quote Originally Posted by greenc51 View Post
    i think buying a crappy MT car is a good idea...nice to also have as a beater
    You know, if you think about it, how much is a beater? Like 500-1000 dollars right?

A new clutch is about 200-300 dollars plus install. Might as well just learn on the car your going to get. I think you will spend less money. Just my opinion.
    Bugeye Mafia #213
    Kevin
    2002 Midnight Black Pearl WRX (Traded In!)

2012 Ice Silver Metallic STi Sedan

Quote Originally Posted by wrx0131 View Post
    You know, if you think about it, how much is a beater? Like 500-1000 dollars right?

A new clutch is about 200-300 dollars plus install. Might as well just learn on the car your going to get. I think you will spend less money. Just my opinion.
    Not to mention you are required to buy liability insurance, which is $500.

I Support ClubWRX
    If you are 25 and have a credit card, just rent a manual shift u-haul truck for a day. This will be great introduction into shifting a manual of a gearbox that can take the abuse you will be putting it through, without having to worry about attaining speeds that you might be doing in a car when in 5th or 6th gear.

Rent it, go to a parking alot, learn the basics, hit the road, return it at the end of the day.

I wouldn't worry too much about the differences. Once you learn the mechanics of synchronizing clutch/throttle/gear lever, it's translatable to all motor vehicles. Just different levels of effort and timing really.
    Last edited by YBNormal07; 05-21-2009 at 01:11 PM.
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    08 Audi S5 Black Diamond edition
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums

timing is everything with this shifting business

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.