New member and a couple of questions
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on New member and a couple of questions within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hi all, just wanted to introduce myself to the community. My name is Jordan and I'm looking at buying a ...

vog

New member and a couple of questions

Hi all, just wanted to introduce myself to the community. My name is Jordan and I'm looking at buying a Subaru in the next week or two.

I was hoping I could get some advice or suggestions from members who have went through a similar decision. I've narrowed down my car selection to a used 2008 STI vs. a 2009 WRX. The STI has under 6k miles and the seller is willing to let go of it for $27k. I love the style, power, and additional options that will come with the STI, but it's Obsidian Black Pearl and I live on a rock road, which means the STI will be dusty most of the time (at least until I can get a new place).

The 2009 WRX, however, would allow me to pick my own color and give me almost similar performance. I'd really miss the fenders, brembos, and stereo system, but I would save a little money (which would go towards SPT catback and short-throw shifter).

My concern with the STI is that it is used. It's still under warranty, hasn't been tracked or modded, but the dealership reflashed the computer? The owner said Subaru came out with a better tune for it and performed the flash. The STI also has some rock chips on the rear fenders. I read another thread that this is a problem on the STI's? Is this because of the fenders, or is it common on any Impreza?

I'm really having a hard time deciding between the two and was hoping some Subaru owners could offer a little insight into my purchase. The car will be my daily driver and I plan on keeping it for 5+ years assuming all goes well. Any advice/recommendations is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

-Jordan (vog)

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

My only advice would be to check the VIN number and make sure it's not on the recall list for the knocking issue.....but if you can pick up a stock un-tracked 08 STI vs a 09 WRX for that discount...........................don't think I need to say more.

Regarding your comment about where you live - are you worried it will get dirty or it will get body damage? I would hope I keep mine covered in mud all year round personaly :P

Flirty User That's Younger Than the Chunks of Corn in Brian's Crap

What do you plan on doing with the car? Do you plan doing work on it a lot?
    2002 WRX Yellow Blaze

Bugeye Mafia #216

High Mileage Club

Quote Originally Posted by vog View Post
    My concern with the STI is that it is used. It's still under warranty, hasn't been tracked or modded, but the dealership reflashed the computer? The owner said Subaru came out with a better tune for it and performed the flash. The STI also has some rock chips on the rear fenders. I read another thread that this is a problem on the STI's? Is this because of the fenders, or is it common on any Impreza?
    I don't recall there being a reflash done on the 2008 STI's anyone know anything about that?
    Previous Subarus:
    2004 Subaru WRX, 18G Deadbolt Zilla setup w/ Supporting Mods
    2009 Subaru WRX Hatchback Stock!

vog
    decrypted: The VIN is JF1GR89638L822883. Is there a recall list with all the VIN's affected? If so, do you know where I can check this out?

I'm not concerned about the rock road causing body damage so much as my car never being clean due to the dust. I've had a black car all my life and have always lived on a rock road. I guess I'm just ready for a color that hides the dirt a little better!

WRXie: I plan on modifying the car a little. I probably won't venture into suspension or turbo modification, but I'm open to exhaust, short-throw, winter set of wheels/tires, and maybe some modest tuning after a year or so. This will be my first vehicle with forced induction, so I'm still learning what works best with the vehicle.

jpjester: I thought the reflash thing sounded slightly odd, but since I'm kinda ignorant on all-things Subaru, it didn't seem too fishy. The sellers exact words were "The dealer did reflash the computer shortly after I got it when Subaru came out with a revised tune."

I have yet to CarFax the car (hopefully will get a chance later today).

Thanks for all the help so far guys!

how much for the 09?
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #898Military Milita #898

AP stage 2 93 oct. maddad DP. SPT short ram intake,SPT intake heat shield,HKS carbon fiber catback,boost,MAF,volt gauges,STI springs, pioneer flip screen headunit, polk audio speakers, vortex generator,STI wing,rally armor UR flaps

vog
    Quote Originally Posted by wunderboy987 View Post
    how much for the 09?
    I haven't received an exact quote from any dealerships yet, but I've spoken with a couple over the phone and they seem to believe they can sell me a base 09 hatchback for $25k + sales tax. Do you think they'll go lower than $25k?

I don't have the paperwork in front of me, but I just purchased an 09 wrx for 23,5??. I was really just there for a second test drive, planning on buying it at another dealer. offered me more for my trade in and then said how about 1000 under invoice? wich really is just cost without dealer delivery charge and a couple other things dealers hit you with to make a little more money. you should be able to get the same deal, put the money you save into it and eat a stock sti for breakfast.

I haven't received an exact quote from any dealerships yet, but I've spoken with a couple over the phone and they seem to believe they can sell me a base 09 hatchback for $25k + sales tax. Do you think they'll go lower than $25k?
    STi, If i was presented with this option when i was buying my WRX i wouldn't have thought twice about it.

My Prem 08 was stickered at 27k plus aftermarket wheels and tires, so about 29k. I got it for 23k, out the door for 27k because of negative equity from my trade and financing.

Quote Originally Posted by 08 Beast View Post
    STi, If i was presented with this option when i was buying my WRX i wouldn't have thought twice about it.

My Prem 08 was stickered at 27k plus aftermarket wheels and tires, so about 29k. I got it for 23k, out the door for 27k because of negative equity from my trade and financing.
    wow I thought I got a good deal. they sold you a 29k car for 23k? Is that the price on the loan papers before the tax, negative equity and financing?
    Sounds as if there might be some problems with the sti he is looking at. wich is even more reason to go brand new wrx.

I have a 09 WRX.

The 2009 WRXs had or have a problem with spun bearings, but apparently as long as you get a car with a build date after September of 2008, the problem is supposedly fixed. Since it's May that's probably not an issue but something to keep an eye on. believe me, that's not a good sound.

They also had to replace my ECM, but I haven't heard of that happening to anybody else, so maybe it was just my luck.

So, with my two not-so-minor problems out of the way, let me say that I still love the car, and would recommend it.

You might want to test drive em both, though, I think the feel could be quite different, and you might have an opinion on which would be more comfortable driving down your rocky road. The STI is probably a fair bit stiffer, and you might like that or you might not. I say this having never been in an STI. Still, you gotta drive it to know whether you like it.

my 2 cents

I just bought my 09 WRX Hatchback about a week ago. I got it all said and done out the door with tax tags and all for 28,000. I talked them down too, so anything lower that that is good.
    Previous Subarus:
    2004 Subaru WRX, 18G Deadbolt Zilla setup w/ Supporting Mods
    2009 Subaru WRX Hatchback Stock!

Quote Originally Posted by Bugs68 View Post
    wow I thought I got a good deal. they sold you a 29k car for 23k? Is that the price on the loan papers before the tax, negative equity and financing?
    Sounds as if there might be some problems with the sti he is looking at. wich is even more reason to go brand new wrx.
    It was just a tad under 27k out the door, with the neg equity and financing. The STi only has 6k miles, still under warranty so any problems should be taken care of. For me especially because it is black, I live in a rural town and everything is dusty and dirt roads, i would still kill for a black STi.

decrypted: The VIN is JF1GR89638L822883. Is there a recall list with all the VIN's affected? If so, do you know where I can check this out?
    Try these links for information on it

Subaru Recalls: a list of recalls on various model.

Is it true 08 recall? engine knocking? - NASIOC

vog
    well guys, i came to a decision:

I hope this will help make my membership "official".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast