boost problem???

This is a discussion on boost problem??? within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I am a new subby lover and recently I bought a 2005 subaru Impreza WRX STI with aprox. 45000 miles ...

Question boost problem???

I am a new subby lover and recently I bought a 2005 subaru Impreza WRX STI with aprox. 45000 miles on it in great condition, this is the first car I own that is boosted and my question is that when the vehicle is in IDDLE should the boos needdle be pointing 0 or less?? During IDDLE my boost gauge shows about -7 or so psi is that normal???
    U guys think my turbo is bad

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Hi, welcome to the board!

Yes that is perfectly normal. When your car is idling the turbo isn't forcing the air into the motor like it does under throttle. A negative pressure exists until your turbo begins to spool up.

Quote Originally Posted by elosky View Post
    I am a new subby lover and recently I bought a 2005 subaru Impreza WRX STI with aprox. 45000 miles on it in great condition, this is the first car I own that is boosted and my question is that when the vehicle is in IDDLE should the boos needdle be pointing 0 or less?? During IDDLE my boost gauge shows about -7 or so psi is that normal???
    Your good, below boost is vacuum you will see that whenever you are not in boost.

Welcome to the club! Tons of knowledgeable people here. Check out the FAQ's and search the forums. There is more information here then you will ever need

Also most any question you have is already answered here Unabomber's Manifesto
    Carpe Diem!

My 03 Bugeye is cooler than your mom

Bugeye Mafia #222

When idling or cruising (i.e. - not accelerating) your car runs in vacuum like normally aspirated cars. So yes, -7 to -20 vac is normal under these conditions.

Boost is the increase in pressure above ambient (which at sea level is 14.7). When not accelerating you will be in vac, when you accelerate the turbo spins compressing the air creating an increase in pressure post turbo, this increase in pressure is the boost read by your gauge.

Hope this helps!

"My 03 VF39'd Bugeye is cooler then your mom"

"than" j/k
    S&R Built 2.5/2.0 '03 Hybrid w/ PE1818
    Scott Siegel Tuned 308whp/320wtq
    Vogtland Club Spec Springs on KYB AGX's

******* I BOOST, therefore I AM! *******

Quote Originally Posted by Sooby-Doo View Post

"My 03 VF39'd Bugeye is cooler then your mom"

"than" j/k
    After all this time you are the first person to point out my grammatical shortcomings
    Carpe Diem!

My 03 Bugeye is cooler than your mom

Bugeye Mafia #222

Quote Originally Posted by Spencer3636 View Post
    After all this time you are the first person to point out my grammatical shortcomings
    haha....sorry, they just stand out like neon lights to me...lol nice quick fix BTW

We will now return you to your regularly scheduled thread
    S&R Built 2.5/2.0 '03 Hybrid w/ PE1818
    Scott Siegel Tuned 308whp/320wtq
    Vogtland Club Spec Springs on KYB AGX's

******* I BOOST, therefore I AM! *******

boostin'

Hello, I have a 2005 STi and I just got a manual boost controller. I was wondering what the max boost for the stock turbine.

Quote Originally Posted by elosky View Post
    Didn't you get the car inspected prior to spending $20k on it? I'm guessing no... That is step #1 when buying a used car and then you wouldn't be asking these questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Laomatic View Post
    Hello, I have a 2005 STi and I just got a manual boost controller. I was wondering what the max boost for the stock turbine.
    Go sell that useless device and modify your car correctly. Read the stickies at the top of the STI forums for the correct modification path for your car.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Dude seriously? Try not being a total jerk. He said it was his first turbo car. Not everyone is born knowing how turbos work. Go back to driving around your ridiculous gas hog of a truck...