20g or no?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on 20g or no? within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; hey everyone whats up just joined the site and so far its been great i have an sti and i ...

Registered User StiMetalhead666's Avatar

20g or no?

hey everyone whats up just joined the site and so far its been great i have an sti and i really want a 20g turbo and if anyone has any suggestions as if this would be an alright way to go i have a bunch of mods already thanks for your help

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by StiMetalhead666 View Post
    hey everyone whats up just joined the site and so far its been great i have an sti and i really want a 20g turbo and if anyone has any suggestions as if this would be an alright way to go i have a bunch of mods already thanks for your help
    Welcome, first off.

Second, What current modifications do you have done to the car?

Third, Whats your goal with the car, will help us, help you get there?

Forth, lol, What year is your car? 2.0 or 2.5

Finally, I thought of another, Why a 20G? Did a friend suggest it or why that size turbo?
    Last edited by jpjester; 05-05-2009 at 12:37 PM.
    Previous Subarus:
    2004 Subaru WRX, 18G Deadbolt Zilla setup w/ Supporting Mods
    2009 Subaru WRX Hatchback Stock!

Maybe he's got the 2.5L motor. I know I may go 18g or 20g or VF52 on my 2.5L

To the OP:

List your mods so we can help you make a decision that suits your goals.

Quote Originally Posted by jpjester View Post

Forth, lol, What year is your car? 2.0 or 2.5

Finally, I thought of another, Why a 20G? Did a friend suggest it or why that size turbo?

for modifications its not alot but i am looking at turbos to go with other stuff i am buying but heres the problem i have a baby on the way and i dont wanna go huge turbo and go balistic but i wanna modify my car a lil more heres the list: Fmic, manual boost controller, 3inch turbo back exhaust, cold air intake,greddy r/s bov, thats all i have done for now but i am not just looking at turbo just seeing whats best suggested i heard from a couple ppl that 20gs are the way to go and yes i have an 05 2.5l, thanks for your help guys.

for modifications its not alot but i am looking at turbos to go with other stuff i am buying but heres the problem i have a baby on the way and i dont wanna go huge turbo and go balistic but i wanna modify my car a lil more heres the list: Fmic, manual boost controller, 3inch turbo back exhaust, cold air intake,greddy r/s bov, thats all i have done for now but i am not just looking at turbo just seeing whats best suggested i heard from a couple ppl that 20gs are the way to go and yes i have an 05 2.5l, thanks for your help guys.
    You've addressed the need for airflow, but you still need fuel flow. You need an upgraded pump, and bigger injectors. Probably around 800cc.

The boost controller is probably not needed.

Which model are you thinking of going with? TD05 20G or TD06 20G?

If you have a baby on the way, perhaps something along the lines of a protuned stage 2 would be good enough? ~300whp will get you moving...

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    2 things.

1. Remove that manual boost controller. ASAP!
    2. Stay out of boost until you get tuned. If you run your car hard you're risking detonation because you have exhaust but no tune to fix the fueling delay. This needs to be remedied as soon as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by brfatal View Post
    2 things.

1. Remove that manual boost controller. ASAP!
    2. Stay out of boost until you get tuned. If you run your car hard you're risking detonation because you have exhaust but no tune to fix the fueling delay. This needs to be remedied as soon as possible.
    whoa....i was thinking those were mods he wanted to do. Good eye. +1 to the above. That's quite the recipe for disaster.

I'm just curious, and not bashing you, but when you bought all of those parts, didn't you read or hear from the vendor anything about needing a tune? The following CEL's didnt raise any red flags?

i have a 20g td05 its great good spool up

Just so that I am understanding everyone right now:

Your running:
    Front Mount Intercooler
    A Manual Boost Controller
    3 Inch TurboBack Exhaust
    Cold Air Intake
    Greddy Recirculating Blow Off Valve
    ------------------------------------
    So you have those modifications on your 2005 Subaru STI and you do not have any engine management or tune what so ever done on the car? Is that correct?
    Previous Subarus:

From my friend's experiences, the 2.5L seems to like the 20G better then the 2.0L, thats why I asked. All depends on a vareity of factors.

Now you said several people had suggested the 20G, I guess I am confused why your not looking at the 18G or the 16G. The amount of power behind the 20G will be TOO much for driving a little baby around in a car seat I feel. I bet several other people will back there.

I was running the 18G Setup with Supporting Modifications and I put down 311 HP at the WHEELS! Do you know what over 300 HP to the Wheels feels like? Or do you currently have the mindset of "The more power the better at this point". Now that's with an 18G, think about the 20G.

Yet, if we can't pull you away from your 20G decision this is what I suggest.

You Currently Have:
    Front Mount Intercooler
    A Manual Boost Controller
    3 Inch TurboBack Exhaust
    Cold Air Intake
    Greddy Recirculating Blow Off Valve

I'd suggest doing the following all at once, if you CAN'T then I'd recommend getting a Protune right away by a local respectable Subaru Shop. As right now your hurting your car driving it along with not taking advantage of your current modifications 100%.

My suggestions to do all at once:
    Walbro 255 Fuel Pump
    -Remove the Manual Boost Controller - Reason = There's no reason to have it at this point. It hurts your car right now.
    -Power Enterprise 850cc Injectors
    - The 20G turbo recommend above
    - Exedy Stage 1 Clutch - Reason = Power = Need better Clutch to support.
    - Cobb Accessport V2.0 = Will be used when you get your Protune.

Is there anything you don't understand?
    Previous Subarus:

thanks for your help guys im thinking of going cobbs tuning already just wanted to see what turbo to go for and what was recommended from u guys and another question when i first bought the car it was used and i knew the guy a lil bit and i know the ecu was played with and he has an adapter wired that is their probably for cobbs or a flasher but i am pretty sure he reset it

can u pls specify exactly what u do and dont have on the car. id reccomend like everyone says to go get it tuned. id reccomend utec delta. the thing with the AP is that only authorized people can tune it. Utec or open ecu can be tuned by any shop.

I would reccomend having all this done at once(if its not already):
    FMIC
    EMS
    injectors
    fuel pump
    turbo(20g)
    3" tbe
    clutch

but honestly if ur just looking for a fun car without a butt load of power id suggest just a tbe and tune. with a good tune u can hit 300whp with the 257.
    Power Is Nothing Without Control.
    Bugeye Mafia #221

i have a fmic,3inch tbe,cold air intake, manual boost controller,greddy type r/s bov thats what i have done so far.

but i wanna get some stuff with the 20g or whatever turbo is best recommended from u guys so far i want streetlite Act flywheel, Act street disk clutch kit, cobbs Accesport v2.0, i am not sure how big i wanna go for injectors yet, walbro 255 fuel pump, not sure for brakes,rotors,and suspension yet then be done.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 012.5RS
    id reccomend utec delta. the thing with the AP is that only authorized people can tune it. Utec or open ecu can be tuned by any shop.
    Anyone can tune the AP (AccessTUNER)
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Quote Originally Posted by idipskoalmint View Post
    Anyone can tune the AP (AccessTUNER)
    Yet, not everyone SHOULD be tuning their car. It's great that Cobb came out with the AccessTuner, but now we will have kids cruising around thinking they can tune their own car, lawl!
    Previous Subarus:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast