newb here help me decide

This is a discussion on newb here help me decide within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; well seeing how this is going to be my first post please spare me the flaming. i have spent the ...

newb here help me decide

well seeing how this is going to be my first post please spare me the flaming. i have spent the majority of the last 5 years working and researching nissan 240sx's with the ka24de turboed. i had a full build in the plans with a precision sc61 turbo with suporting mods at 20psi. i was aiming for 400+whp at 20psi. if i hit more i would be happy but max of 20psi on pump gas. now i am really lookiing into buying a new more reliable vehicle. i live in massachusetts and a rwd platform blows in the snow especially modded. i love the wrx wagons for pretty much all the same reasons as the next person. i need the cargo room and the sedan just doesnt fit my needs. plus they are cheaper. now my question to you (the wrx sti community) is this. my main goals of this car is reliablity. i want to do some suspension mods/wheels. possible bigger brakes (sti) but not needed if not hitting high numbers. im pretty uch stuck between the 02 bug eye and the 05 wagon. from what i have read the 05 has the larger engine (2.5) and the 02 is smaller at 2.0. now what i truely want to know is if im aiming for 300+ awhp which engine/year is the better choice. i like both looks so body is not a worry. i make good money and i know the key to a reliable car is the tuning. what engine takes better to turbo upgrades? what turbo combo would land me in my goals.... i know this must have been asked before and like many newbs ive flamed in the past i apologize for the same questions asked. i am having trouble finding the answers i need. please help me out pms would be beter since i am not acustomed to this site and layout thank you
    -ryan

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I believe it was the 06+ models that had the 2.5L motor, i think i saw in another thread the breakdown 02-03 was 2.0 and 04-05 was 2.2 and 06+ is currently 2.5

Now as far as 300awhp is concerned i would think the 2.5L motor is the better platform to achieve those numbers. I own an 08 which has the 2.5L motor and from what I read hittin 300awhp can be achieved with a few mods.

As far as brakes goes i wouldn't rush to do STi brakes better rotors and pads will achieve the stoppin power your lookin for along with better brake lines (SS) and better fluid. Guys who are more knowledgeable will chime in. I gave the basics.

Quote Originally Posted by ryan987 View Post
    well seeing how this is going to be my first post please spare me the flaming. i have spent the majority of the last 5 years working and researching nissan 240sx's with the ka24de turboed. i had a full build in the plans with a precision sc61 turbo with suporting mods at 20psi. i was aiming for 400+whp at 20psi. if i hit more i would be happy but max of 20psi on pump gas. now i am really lookiing into buying a new more reliable vehicle. i live in massachusetts and a rwd platform blows in the snow especially modded. i love the wrx wagons for pretty much all the same reasons as the next person. i need the cargo room and the sedan just doesnt fit my needs. plus they are cheaper. now my question to you (the wrx sti community) is this. my main goals of this car is reliablity. i want to do some suspension mods/wheels. possible bigger brakes (sti) but not needed if not hitting high numbers. im pretty uch stuck between the 02 bug eye and the 05 wagon. from what i have read the 05 has the larger engine (2.5) and the 02 is smaller at 2.0. now what i truely want to know is if im aiming for 300+ awhp which engine/year is the better choice. i like both looks so body is not a worry. i make good money and i know the key to a reliable car is the tuning. what engine takes better to turbo upgrades? what turbo combo would land me in my goals.... i know this must have been asked before and like many newbs ive flamed in the past i apologize for the same questions asked. i am having trouble finding the answers i need. please help me out pms would be beter since i am not acustomed to this site and layout thank you
    -ryan

Just thought I would say hello !!

We all know that power for the Scooby in not a question if you want it to be more powerful it's there for the taking.

Biggest mistake IMO is going lower and harder suspension ie coilovers if you are looking to keep as much tread on the road and keeping traction it would have to be with a decent set of springs that are going to give you feed back thorugh the steering but also forgive you when you push to hard and we all do at some point.

Drving a rear wheel 200 SX like I have done for 2 years drifting on dry wet or slippery surfaces it will make you grin.

try and do the same on the Scooby and all you will do is push it and lose the car sideways.

WRX wagon I take it is for work lugging around what ever you need mod it yes but keep it to around 350 brake and all the standard components should be fine.

Oaks
    Classic Crew #01
    "When life passes you by in a flash you know you have been Scoobied
    UK / Ex Pats forum
    UK Chat Group
    Oak1ey Gallery

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by spt wrx 2k8 View Post
    I believe it was the 06+ models that had the 2.5L motor, i think i saw in another thread the breakdown 02-03 was 2.0 and 04-05 was 2.2 and 06+ is currently 2.5

2.0 was 02-05. 2.2T was never introduced on a USDM WRX or STi
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

Quote Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
    You guys not do imports ??
    Classic Crew #01
    UK / Ex Pats forum
    UK Chat Group
    Oak1ey Gallery

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    2.2T was only on one Impreza ever. The 22B.

Yeah I agree the only reason why the GC8 was a 2.2 was the stroker kit.

To be honest the 22B is legendry !!

Can't wait to buy one some day !!

but in the meantime I'll run the RA it's the b#llocks only weighing just over 1000kg.
    Happy days

Oaks
    Classic Crew #01
    UK / Ex Pats forum
    UK Chat Group
    Oak1ey Gallery

thanks for correcting me.

not trying to piss on anyones Bonfire but you you will never get an Imprexa better then a 22B.

Though I have a lot to learn still only being a Scooby owner for a year I know a bit more !!

I have the DNA for that in my classic and thats my aim.

But to learn and help people to learn is the way forward.

Oaks
    Classic Crew #01
    UK / Ex Pats forum
    UK Chat Group
    Oak1ey Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by spt wrx 2k8 View Post
    thanks for correcting me.
    Was not trying to correct you but classics is a UK thing casue you guys wernt lucky enough to get them unless imported

I am sure I will be corrected by Weasel but I think I am right
    Classic Crew #01
    UK / Ex Pats forum
    UK Chat Group
    Oak1ey Gallery