09 WRX, what should I do first?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on 09 WRX, what should I do first? within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hello all, new here and first time Subaru owner. My car is about a week old now, and I'm loving ...

09 WRX, what should I do first?

Hello all, new here and first time Subaru owner. My car is about a week old now, and I'm loving it. Was thinking about putting the sti short shifter in and maybe a high flow air intake. Wondering if I should go for it, or use my money for something else first? Got a great deal on the car and have about a 1000$ to spend. Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Bugs68 View Post
    Hello all, new here and first time Subaru owner. My car is about a week old now, and I'm loving it. Was thinking about putting the sti short shifter in and maybe a high flow air intake. Wondering if I should go for it, or use my money for something else first? Got a great deal on the car and have about a 1000$ to spend. Thanks
    Don't do ANYTHING for the first 1000 miles... and most would say for the first 10,000 miles. Find out your build date and post on here. We'll be able to advise you as to whether or not you are at risk for the bearing issue that's on the 2009 WRXs.
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

jan/09 build date. would putting in a new shifter at the dealer void any warranties?

I Support ClubWRX
    jan/09 build date. would putting in a new shifter at the dealer void any warranties?
    Technically you can't void your warranty without taking your car out of the country.

They can deny a warranty claim if they can prove an aftermarket part you installed caused the problem, or if they are able to prove that you abused the car.

January is outside the affected window You should be fine!
    Kevin
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ

If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

Ver good to know, thank you. but then the question still remains. What should I do with my grand? after the first 1000 miles of course

I Support ClubWRX
    Ver good to know, thank you. but then the question still remains. What should I do with my grand? after the first 1000 miles of course
    My personal opinion would be to purchase an AccessPORT v2 and turbo back exhaust, but others will say get a tactrix cable for your computer, install a turbo back exhaust and install an open source map from the internet.

Either way it'll feel like a brand new car. I just like the AccessPORT a lot, so I was willing to pay the extra for it.
    Kevin
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Torque Solution View Post
    If you would like to become a vendor, please speak to an Administrator.
    Thank you,
    Kevin
    Last edited by SD_GR; 05-03-2009 at 08:02 PM. Reason: Vending reference removed
    Kevin
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ

$1000

i agree with a catback exhaust and AP but you looking at more then $1000. Your looking at $1200 to $1500 depending on what exhaust you select. A STI Short shifter isn't a bad place to start.

just the exhaust your looking at around $500 and up. here is a link with a bunch of sound clips for 3GWRX exhausts.
    Exhaust Sound Clips
    Last edited by njkayaker; 05-02-2009 at 04:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
    My personal opinion would be to purchase an AccessPORT v2 and turbo back exhaust, but others will say get a tactrix cable for your computer, install a turbo back exhaust and install an open source map from the internet.

Either way it'll feel like a brand new car. I just like the AccessPORT a lot, so I was willing to pay the extra for it.
    wow, the AccessPort looks really nice. doesn't seem to have been tested on the 09's yet and wouldn't that void some warranties? Sorry for the noob questions, but what will the catback give me that a high flow air won't? oh ya and a real noob Question, can I go through a auto carwash with the hood scoop? and thanks again for your help

wow, the AccessPort looks really nice. doesn't seem to have been tested on the 09's yet and wouldn't that void some warranties? Sorry for the noob questions, but what will the catback give me that a high flow air won't? oh ya and a real noob Question, can I go through a auto carwash with the hood scoop? and thanks again for your help
    If your ONLY running the AP on subaru parts... you can simply uninstall the AP through itself and be stock tune and they'll never know.

Car wash I've always done manual due to chemicals hitting the TMIC - worst case you sue the car wash
    08 WRX Sedan
    the WRX is back! 340whp 366 tq @22psi

depends

If you just want more HP the Cobb AP stage 1 map will give the 09 Stock WRX (on 93 Octane), +16% HP / +21.8% lb. ft. torq. for $695. cobb . wrx accessport . map listing

The other option would be the SPT short throw shifter and catback. These are $295 + $899 msrp. My dealer will match internet pricing so I'm getting these for $250 + 750. The shifter and new bushings make a big difference and the SPT catback is the best one I've heard.

Just remember an AP will void it. All Spt parts dont void if there installed at a dealer if im right. Imo get the shifter and the spt catback to keep your warranty. Let some miles add on and if you still dont feel like you have enough add more.

Like me I got my car in feb 06(05wrx) with 13k on the ticker. I was stock untill about july ish 07 when I get an AP, and was good for awhile. Then next summer I got a full exhaust and a few other small things. Wasnt untill now when I have about 40k on the car that I decided to really mod it.
    Past few months I have gotten struts, springs, pads, rotors. brake lines, CF hood/truck, front lip, wheels, sti foglight covers, and a few other what nots.

Alot had to do with money, atm I have had a big cash flow increase due to being deployed so Im spend some on my car and it will be nice when I get back.

So best advise I could give is dont over spend on part. pay off stuff befour you spend alot on parts.

intakes

About the intake, the concern is unless you get a custom map or a tune to work with your intake it may cause problems with A/F ratio, etc.. This link has details: NASIOC - View Single Post - Intake FAQ: Read if you are thinking of buying one!

Other good links:
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/2135638-post2.html

Just thought I would throw in a hello and welcome to the forum !!

As you can tell everyone is very quick to give advice so here's my two penneth.

Keep the car stock for atleast 6 months yeah you want the extra horses but you start upgrading stuff you'll need to soon look for a remap.

Me personally enjoy the fact you own a Scooby and get used to it mod it with time so you and the car develop an understanding you'll both know your limits.

Having a car that is fast and also has good grip can be a misadventure if you are feeling particulary brave one day.

Take your time speak to people on the forum like you are and know thoroughly what you want to achieve and why before spending any money I do and have not looked back since.

Oaks
    Classic Crew #01
    "When life passes you by in a flash you know you have been Scoobied
    UK / Ex Pats forum
    UK Chat Group
    Oak1ey Gallery

...don't do anything. Seriously. No one seems to know how to tune the 09's just yet, So I'm sticking to S.P.T cat-back, shifter and various other parts that don't compromise my warranty.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.