Upgrades on a Budget?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Upgrades on a Budget? within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hi, I just picked up a 06 WRX about a month ago and I am looking to do about a ...

Upgrades on a Budget?

Hi,

I just picked up a 06 WRX about a month ago and I am looking to do about a 1000.00 in upgrades for this baby. I am looking for what would be the best bang for my buck to start out with? I already have an Invidia Turboback Exhaust. I would like to get up to about 300-325 chp. Would that be possible with 1000.00 Bucks? or will I have to cough up some more cash?

I have been reading in the forums for about an hour and can't find what I am looking for so I Figured I would start one. Thanks for all the help!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Registered User streetfighterkz's Avatar
    If you have a normal WRX and not the STi then you might get close to 300HP at the crank with just a TBE and $1K. Someone here will of course recommend N02 but that's not the ideal way to do it. You already have a non-catted uppipe so no gains there. If the car never had it before, and with a TBE it should have, get some kind of engine management system. Cobb claims their Stage 2 kit (Accessport + TBE) shows gains of 53HP so if you have a '06 Wrx then you'd be up to 283HP or there abouts.

Read some stuff in Unabomber's Manifesto. Also check out the Engine Performance FAQ [[[READ ME]]] thread.

Later, Doug
    Last edited by streetfighterkz; 04-28-2009 at 07:24 PM.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by streetfighterkz
    If you have a normal WRX and not the STi then you're not going to get 300-325HP at the crank with just a TBE and $1K unless you have some mad negotiating skill buying used parts. Someone here will of course recommend N02 but that's not the ideal way to do it. You already have a non-catted uppipe so no gains there. If the car never had it before, and with a TBE it should have, get some kind of engine management system.
    A TBE + custom tune will put you on par with a stock STi

If you shop around on classifieds, you can get a TBE cheap (my Invidia V2 DP + Borla catback was $200)
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

That was exactly what I was looking for. Thanks Guys! What would you suggest for the engine management system?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by speedWRX03
    That was exactly what I was looking for. Thanks Guys! What would you suggest for the engine management system?
    Custom open-source tune; this should run $300-500

Even if you don't have a tuner near you, there are people who will give you an Internet/e-mail tune which is better than the crappy OTS map you'd get from Cobb. An Internet tune would net the same results as having your tuner give you a road tune. The only issue with an Internet tune would be you have to have a laptop/tactrix cable (or borrow one), which adds to the cost (but an Internet tune is usually cheaper than going to a shop and putting the car on a dyno). I wouldn't pay more than $250 for an Internet tune.
    Last edited by EJ257; 04-28-2009 at 07:31 PM.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.