Upgrades on a Budget?

This is a discussion on Upgrades on a Budget? within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hi, I just picked up a 06 WRX about a month ago and I am looking to do about a ...

Upgrades on a Budget?

Hi,

I just picked up a 06 WRX about a month ago and I am looking to do about a 1000.00 in upgrades for this baby. I am looking for what would be the best bang for my buck to start out with? I already have an Invidia Turboback Exhaust. I would like to get up to about 300-325 chp. Would that be possible with 1000.00 Bucks? or will I have to cough up some more cash?

I have been reading in the forums for about an hour and can't find what I am looking for so I Figured I would start one. Thanks for all the help!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Registered User streetfighterkz's Avatar
    If you have a normal WRX and not the STi then you might get close to 300HP at the crank with just a TBE and $1K. Someone here will of course recommend N02 but that's not the ideal way to do it. You already have a non-catted uppipe so no gains there. If the car never had it before, and with a TBE it should have, get some kind of engine management system. Cobb claims their Stage 2 kit (Accessport + TBE) shows gains of 53HP so if you have a '06 Wrx then you'd be up to 283HP or there abouts.

Read some stuff in Unabomber's Manifesto. Also check out the Engine Performance FAQ [[[READ ME]]] thread.

Later, Doug
    Last edited by streetfighterkz; 04-28-2009 at 06:24 PM.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by streetfighterkz
    If you have a normal WRX and not the STi then you're not going to get 300-325HP at the crank with just a TBE and $1K unless you have some mad negotiating skill buying used parts. Someone here will of course recommend N02 but that's not the ideal way to do it. You already have a non-catted uppipe so no gains there. If the car never had it before, and with a TBE it should have, get some kind of engine management system.
    A TBE + custom tune will put you on par with a stock STi

If you shop around on classifieds, you can get a TBE cheap (my Invidia V2 DP + Borla catback was $200)
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

That was exactly what I was looking for. Thanks Guys! What would you suggest for the engine management system?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by speedWRX03
    That was exactly what I was looking for. Thanks Guys! What would you suggest for the engine management system?
    Custom open-source tune; this should run $300-500

Even if you don't have a tuner near you, there are people who will give you an Internet/e-mail tune which is better than the crappy OTS map you'd get from Cobb. An Internet tune would net the same results as having your tuner give you a road tune. The only issue with an Internet tune would be you have to have a laptop/tactrix cable (or borrow one), which adds to the cost (but an Internet tune is usually cheaper than going to a shop and putting the car on a dyno). I wouldn't pay more than $250 for an Internet tune.
    Last edited by EJ257; 04-28-2009 at 06:31 PM.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC