2009 WRX or ???
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on 2009 WRX or ??? within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey everyone, So I am interested in some opinions here. I am looking at buying either an 09 WRX, Audi ...

2009 WRX or ???

Hey everyone,

So I am interested in some opinions here. I am looking at buying either an 09 WRX, Audi A4, 4-Door GTI (with snows), a handful of others. I love everything about the WRX with the exception of the interior quality and "boy racer stigma". I should say that I will be 30 this year, married and have a baby on the way. I live in Colorado so must get into a vehicle that has AWD and a forced induction engine (normally aspirated motors at this altitude lose a lot of power), so my choices are a bit limited. I currently have a turbo GTI with snow tires, and, because of the baby, will need something with 4 doors. My questions are: am I to old and lame to drive a WRX? How old are you guys? And what other vehicles did you consider/ why did you go with the Sooby?

ps- I must say that performance is super important for me, but more in a "sleeper" manner. I'm also attracted to the WRX over Audi/VW for reliability quality...

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I'm going to turn 34 next month and own a wrx wagon. I have 2 kids and a dog. As long as you don't "rice" it up you should be fine. I think the interior of the 09's are alot better looking than the previous generations. As far as looks, it doesn't have the big azz hoodscoop like the older WRX's and Sti's.
    Performance wise you can't go wrong with awd. You live in Colorado you need awd safety. Hope this helps.

C.
    04 Blobeye wagon
    AFE Filter, ebay catback.
    03 RR Evo sold

You're definitely not too old. The Subaru community is a very diverse one. I'm 26 in a couple weeks, and I just bought an 09 WRX and I am very happy about my purchase. I've met guys that are well into their 40's and some in their 50's that have souped up WRX's or STi's, and there's nothing wrong with that. I especially think that the new WRX's are a little more "classy" and have less of the "boy-racer" quality about them.

If you want something AWD, then the GTI has to go, for obvious reasons. The Audi A4 is a fantastic vehicle, but is really overpriced for the power, in my opinion, especially if you get the quattro version.

The only problem I see with the WRX in your case is that the rear seats don't exactly have a lot of room for your child.
    2009 DGM WRX 5-door w/ STI short shifter. Stock...for now.

I am 28 (29 in two months) 09 seems to be a good choice if you don't want a legacy.....

Thanks guys. Yeah, Legacy, no. They seem to have a nice interior but I think they are so ugly, that little wing on the back is awful. Also, the power is simply "ok". It's true, I want maximum power with minimum rice. One other question, do the '09's come only with summer performance tires? Or are seasonals optional? I have a friend that runs all seasons on his 07 and gets by great.

Here's my 2cents on tires. I recommend getting a dedicated summer tires and dedicated winter tires. You don't want to sacrifice performance and safety by getting an all season tire.

C.
    04 Blobeye wagon
    AFE Filter, ebay catback.
    03 RR Evo sold

You can't go wrong with the 09's man.

Just try to make sure the VIN number and build dates are as far away from 07/08 - 09/08 as you can!

(Some of those engines blew but the problem seems to have been resolved, and most engines in that build date haven't had problems anyway so you should be safe either way)

Anyways, good luck in ur search, hope u get the WRX

Quote Originally Posted by CO_Turbo View Post
    Thanks guys. Yeah, Legacy, no. They seem to have a nice interior but I think they are so ugly, that little wing on the back is awful. Also, the power is simply "ok". It's true, I want maximum power with minimum rice. One other question, do the '09's come only with summer performance tires? Or are seasonals optional? I have a friend that runs all seasons on his 07 and gets by great.
    Yes, the come from the factory with Dunlop summer sport tires. They're fantastic.

Just turned 25 this april and I love my 09 wrx. A friend of mine has an A4 (non quatro) he likes it (it screams with a simple chip/tune). However i wouldnt say the A4 is a persons style who likes wrx's though. Your kinda looking at two different styles of car that are designed for different purposes. If you want more luxary go with the audi for sure but the upkeep will also be more pricey then the wrx. I love GTI's too, but after driving a wrx there really isnt any choice to be made... I would choose between the A4 and the WRX drop the GTI...

But for an unbiased opinion, YOU SHOULD JUST GO DRIVE EM AND SEE WHAT YOU LIKE BEST..
    Last edited by Poohbear; 04-28-2009 at 02:11 PM.
    Your vehicle is an extension of your skill as a driver, not a substitute for it.

Stink-Eye Mob Member #21
    08+ Gauge install DIY
    Turn off your seat belt chime

I agree with everything previously mentioned. I also have an '09 and the fatter summer tires that they put on this years model are great. I haven't had any problems with all the rain we've gotten in the past few weeks or the little bit of ice/snow we got last week.

Although, I should say I will be purchasing full on winter tires for the winter just to be on the safe side.

As for the ricer look, I don't think this years model is ricey at all. If anything it's defiantly more streamline than previous models. I think you'll be satisfied with the '09 WRX!!!
    Grant | Stink Eye-Mob #133 | '09 WRX Premium
    STI Short Shifter, 25mm Front Sway Bar, 22mm Rear Sway Bar, Endlinks, Perrin Stealth (Black) Turbo back exhaust
    Pictures of My WRX http://www.flickr.com/photos/37962357@N02/

Banned
    "age aint nothing but a number" no one is too old for a WRX its a great car all around car that satisfies everybody from the grocery getter to the hardcore race scene thats what makes them so versatile

i just got the 09 wrx a few months ago and ive considered asking it to marry me. The power of the 09 stock is awesome. The hatchback should have enough room for everything you need. It also has plenty of child seat anchors for some saftey for your little one. Your best bet is the 09 with some nice winter tires!!!

To answer your question- I have had an '03 Taco, 05 Z-71, and an 06 GLI. I live in northern IL and my 08 wrx was the best handler since the Taco. The Audi is good only if you get the no-cost Maintenance program cuz normal maintenance will run you $200+ every 10000 miles. Electrical issues will be the other ting with the Vw or Audi. Awesome cars but once the warranty is up, everything goes to poop.

I Support ClubWRX
    My former boss, who's pushing 60 went from a WRX wagon to a MS3 - buy the car you want
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I love my dark gray 09 sedan Has great power and the handling is terrific!

Quote Originally Posted by idipskoalmint View Post
    My former boss, who's pushing 60 went from a WRX wagon to a MS3 - buy the car you want
    Well put.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast