New to the import world
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on New to the import world within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I just made the rough transition from domestic world to Suburu land when my wife had our son, and sold ...

New to the import world

I just made the rough transition from domestic world to Suburu land when my wife had our son, and sold my Mustang, lightning, and motorcycle. It was tough, and I know NOTHING about imports.
    Anyway... I have a stock 2008 wrx. Where do I start modding? And how do I not void the warranty?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

ANd yes... Ill read this unibomber manifesto thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Blow Me View Post
    I just made the rough transition from domestic world to Suburu land when my wife had our son, and sold my Mustang, lightning, and motorcycle. It was tough, and I know NOTHING about imports.
    Anyway... I have a stock 2008 wrx. Where do I start modding? And how do I not void the warranty?
    Well first question, how far do you want to go with your car? You have to let us know your goal first, then we can tell you how to get there.

Also you looking to do Performance and Apperance Modifications or just Performance or what?

Voiding a Warranty all depends ....read a few of the stickies floating around.

Welcome to the club, I see you split your time between the DC/NY area, so do I .

Anyways, I think voiding warranty really depends on what mods you have and what dealer you're frequenting. I bought my wagon brand new and never went back to the dealer again (except to pick up oil filters). I think the manifesto is a great start to getting informed.
    Canadian Tech Support:
    "ok, type su eh"
    Customer:
    $sua
    bash: sua: command not found
    ---------------------------------------------
    "Dont worry ma'am, we're college students, we know what we're doing"

Welcome to the dark side!!!!!!!!!!
    2006 Aspen White WRX STI (320whp/390wtq - Molested by Drunkmann Tuning)

Thanks for the welcome.

bkzshabbaz- I'm up near Rochester. I'm at Ft. Drum getting ready to move down to Ft. Meade. I grew up in moco, so Im pretty familiar with nova.

jpjester- I'm not much into appearance mods. A chin spoiler and tint is good enough for me. I'm all about go fast mods. A good goal for me would be roughly 350hp with good streetability. It's def. my everyday driver car, so I don't need anything too crazy.

Thanks again for the welcome guys.

What a coincidence, I went to RIT, and now I work in Columbia

Be aware that at 350WHP you'll probably want to upgrade gears. Also, at that point, your warranty is voided.
    Canadian Tech Support:
    "ok, type su eh"
    Customer:
    $sua
    bash: sua: command not found
    ---------------------------------------------
    "Dont worry ma'am, we're college students, we know what we're doing"

I Support ClubWRX
    I'd start off with the basics are far as engine mods go. That would include a turbo back exhaust and engine management. You can either buy from one company of peice together a downpipe and a catback to get the turbo back. You will need some sort of engine management to go along with this setup. Cobb offers engine management and there is also Openecu which is another option. At this time they are the two most popular tuning solutions.

Honestly with the above mentioned mods you'll have a fairly quick street setup. Not the 350HP you are looking for but with the AWD you'll have a snappy little car. If you need more the next step would be a turbo upgrade along with injectors and a fuel pump as well as a new tune.

If you arent really big into suspension mods I'd suggest getting some GOOD all seasons or even better a winter/summer combo along with sway bars/endlinks and a good alignment. Once again the basics which would give you a good starting point.

At the end you'll have a very well rounded street car with some suspension goodies and a stage 2 powerplant.

As far as your warranty...anothing besides a Catback will potentially cause you issues with getting things fixed. If the warranty is a huge deal...leave it stock.
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

Damn. Good info. I'm not all that worried about winter driving. I made it all winter up north here, which is pretty hellish. I am a little worried about the paint, however... I've been keeping it extremely clean all winter, and already am finding small surface rust spots. Next week when I get out of NY I'm going to take a buffer to it, but is this a common occurrence?

I've been also having some trouble finding parts for the 4 door. I hope as the car ages, more parts will be made available. Everything's made for the hatch.

I know I have a lot of noob questions, but I guess I am, in the sewB world.

bkzshabbaz-- We're looking to buy a house in Columbia within the next few months. Strange.

Quote Originally Posted by 302@12psi View Post
    I'd start off with the basics are far as engine mods go. That would include a turbo back exhaust and engine management. You can either buy from one company of peice together a downpipe and a catback to get the turbo back. You will need some sort of engine management to go along with this setup. Cobb offers engine management and there is also Openecu which is another option. At this time they are the two most popular tuning solutions.

Honestly with the above mentioned mods you'll have a fairly quick street setup. Not the 350HP you are looking for but with the AWD you'll have a snappy little car. If you need more the next step would be a turbo upgrade along with injectors and a fuel pump as well as a new tune.

If you arent really big into suspension mods I'd suggest getting some GOOD all seasons or even better a winter/summer combo along with sway bars/endlinks and a good alignment. Once again the basics which would give you a good starting point.

At the end you'll have a very well rounded street car with some suspension goodies and a stage 2 powerplant.

As far as your warranty...anothing besides a Catback will potentially cause you issues with getting things fixed. If the warranty is a huge deal...leave it stock.

Are you look to slowly modify the car, or go all out at once? Thats important as well.

Quote Originally Posted by jpjester View Post
    Are you look to slowly modify the car, or go all out at once? Thats important as well.
    Gradually... Well, as quick as I can without the wife noticing we're always broke.

I am a little worried about the paint, however... I've been keeping it extremely clean all winter, and already am finding small surface rust spots. Next week when I get out of NY I'm going to take a buffer to it, but is this a common occurrence?
    I noticed the same thing up real close when washing mine recently as well
    Tyler - Aspen White 04' STI
    Blobeye Syndicate #40
    Stage 2 - 312HP ~ 339 lb ft. torque
    Live Gamertag - TMANN05
    NOTE: If you run a turbocharger beyond itís compressor efficiency range, it will turn into a flame thrower.

Quote Originally Posted by tmann05 View Post
    I noticed the same thing up real close when washing mine recently as well
    So it's not just me!!! Good, well... sort of. I spoke with the service department and they tried to tell me it was brake dust sticking to the paint. Okay... maybe some of the spots were, but I know the difference. It's extremely small, and not visible unless inspecting the paint, but they're there.

I think some of it has to do with our cars being light colors (mine's silver) so it's more visible, but hell, it's only got 5000 miles on it and I keep it in the garage.

So it's not just me!!! Good, well... sort of. I spoke with the service department and they tried to tell me it was brake dust sticking to the paint. Okay... maybe some of the spots were, but I know the difference. It's extremely small, and not visible unless inspecting the paint, but they're there.

I think some of it has to do with our cars being light colors (mine's silver) so it's more visible, but hell, it's only got 5000 miles on it and I keep it in the garage.

Same here as far as keeping it in the garage. Mines an 04 and just turned 25k miles. I thought maybe it could be salt from the roads? Whatever it is, I don't like seeing it. Subaru gonna offer us free replacement jobs? Before I bought the car I heard the paint isnt that great...now I know what they meant.
    Tyler - Aspen White 04' STI
    Blobeye Syndicate #40
    Stage 2 - 312HP ~ 339 lb ft. torque
    Live Gamertag - TMANN05
    NOTE: If you run a turbocharger beyond itís compressor efficiency range, it will turn into a flame thrower.

Quote Originally Posted by tmann05 View Post
    Same here as far as keeping it in the garage. Mines an 04 and just turned 25k miles. I thought maybe it could be salt from the roads? Whatever it is, I don't like seeing it. Subaru gonna offer us free replacement jobs? Before I bought the car I heard the paint isnt that great...now I know what they meant.
    I dont think subaru will offer anything. I was hoping there was some problem that some subarus had, and they would honor it, but from the searching Ive done I cant find anything. Subaru will fix a body panel if rust eats through the metal, but not the paint.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast