Exhaust question!

This is a discussion on Exhaust question! within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I drive a 1997 Subaru Impreza Outback 2.2l I am currently looking into options for a cat back exhaust to ...

Exhaust question!

I drive a 1997 Subaru Impreza Outback 2.2l
    I am currently looking into options for a cat back exhaust to replace my skinny restrictive stock one.

I have looked into several possibilities and it seems as though for the best sound, and best power gain a straight piped Cat back would be the best choice.

Please share your advice, I just purchased this vehicle and I am dyeing to get make it stand out!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Johannes View Post
    I drive a 1997 Subaru Impreza Outback 2.2l
    I am currently looking into options for a cat back exhaust to replace my skinny restrictive stock one.

I have looked into several possibilities and it seems as though for the best sound, and best power gain a straight piped Cat back would be the best choice.

Please share your advice, I just purchased this vehicle and I am dyeing to get make it stand out!
    You can probably find a new/used WRX cat-back, and the sound will be very similar. Then just have an exhaust shop weld that baby in!
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

Quote Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
    You can probably find a new/used WRX cat-back, and the sound will be very similar. Then just have an exhaust shop weld that baby in!
    +1 shouldnt cost all that much either
    ** The Blobeye Syndicate ** #511
    Dirty Crew #6
    -05 WRX-

Thats an awesome idea! I didn't think one would fit all that well, that would be much better than my idea :P and look cooler.
    Thanks! looking on the craigslist right now

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Johannes View Post
    Thats an awesome idea! I didn't think one would fit all that well, that would be much better than my idea :P and look cooler.
    Thanks! looking on the craigslist right now
    It will have to be cut and welded, but it should work! Let us see it after all is said and done!
    Kevin
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ

If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    You can use a WRX AXLEBACK if you rotate the flange. A WRX catback would have to be hacked up and rebuilt if you want it to fit your car.

I Support ClubWRX
    Read above... I said he could get a used cat back chop the muffler off and get it welded in... I said nothing about the flanges matching up.

If he looks for a used cat back he has many more options than a used axle back. How many brands sell axleback portions only? Not many.

So buddy... Find the sound u want, and get that baby WELDED in!
    Kevin
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ

That will clear everyting? the axel back exhaust has a strange bend in it that I am not sure will be an issue.. That sounds like another possibility though.
    Thanks

Read above... I said he could get a used cat back chop the muffler off and get it welded in... I said nothing about the flanges matching up.

If he looks for a used cat back he has many more options than a used axle back. How many brands sell axleback portions only? Not many.

So buddy... Find the sound u want, and get that baby WELDED in!

ok, i'll see what I can do as far as used parts.

make sure to stick with the 2.25 ID

Ok thanks, I havn't had time, but I think I know where to get a whole catback for it! Will I lose to much back-pressure if it is larger?