Hey
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Hey within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey guys quick question and probably an ignorant one. Getting a 05' wrx wagon this weekend does it only holds ...

Hey

Hey guys quick question and probably an ignorant one.
    Getting a 05' wrx wagon this weekend does it only holds premium gas? whats the problem with regular gas on it?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Premium only. Regular can be used in an emergency but the maker requires premium fuel for use on a regular basis.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

yes there have been studies on subby forums that show that u actualy will save money by running premium gas because u get better mpg

I Support ClubWRX
    Uhhmm.......I am assuming your not really a car guy and don't understand why there are actually different grades of gasoline........
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Yes, your new car requires premium.

Welcome to the ClubWRX

Quote Originally Posted by Skiracer8148 View Post
    yes there have been studies on subby forums that show that u actualy will save money by running premium gas because u get better mpg
    More importantly, if you use "regular" gas, you risk doing serious damage to the motor in the long term.
    2009 DGM WRX 5-door w/ STI short shifter. Stock...for now.

Quote Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
    Uhhmm.......I am assuming your not really a car guy and don't understand why there are actually different grades of gasoline........
    Im not really a car guy ur right but I always thought that the gas as diferent amounts of octanes regular being the lowest and premium being the highest and that is gonna influence in taking full profit of the capacity of the car am I right? or theres other stuff beind fuel usage?
    thanks

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricardini View Post
    Im not really a car guy ur right but I always thought that the gas as diferent amounts of octanes regular being the lowest and premium being the highest and that is gonna influence in taking full profit of the capacity of the car am I right? or theres other stuff beind fuel usage?
    thanks
    GAS - High Octane Truth or Myth?

Premium vs Regular: The octane thread

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

I Support ClubWRX
    Another thing to know, with regard to our WRX's, is that your car's ECU (electronic control unit) will adjust your engine's timing if it detects that lower octane gas is being run. This SHOULD minimize the damage that you could do if you needed to run regular.

Having said that, I can't promise you that long term use is safe...and I don't see the point in running anything but what the car was designed to use. It's like purchasing a thoroughbred for racing, then hobbling one of it's feet.

Welcome to the club. Lots of info on tap here...enjoy!
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

thanks
    The higher the octane, the more explosive it is. That is why using a lower octane in a high powered car (especially with a large range of power with forced induction) can produce results that are very bad for the motor. Premium is also not the highest. The standard premium gasoline at pumps is 91-93 octane. There are race fuels available at tracks and at special gas stations which offer octanes well above 100, which are commonly referred to as C** (ex 116 octane is C16). Due to their quicker and more powerful explosion, the motor is able to turn much faster and produce more power.

When I took delivery of my 08' WRX the dealer made it a point of tellin me put only 93 octane in my car. Which I've done since day 1.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Cicatrize View Post
    The higher the octane, the more explosive it is.
    The opposite it true. "Octane" ratings are made in reference to a theoretical ratio of octane to heptane -- and specifically, in reference to that example fuel's ability to resist detonation. A higher octane fuel resists detonation more than a lower octane fuel.
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

once again thanks for all the info

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    The opposite it true. "Octane" ratings are made in reference to a theoretical ratio of octane to heptane -- and specifically, in reference to that example fuel's ability to resist detonation. A higher octane fuel resists detonation more than a lower octane fuel.
    gotcha premium all the way. And is it true that U will get more mpg with it?

I Support ClubWRX
    gotcha premium all the way. And is it true that U will get more mpg with it?
    That I don't know. I do know the car cannot run optimally on regular though, if that's an indicator.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    I probably sounded like a retard because I said it completely wrong, lol. It's not characteristically more explosive as in the general idea of an "explosion", but more so in the fact that it ALLOWS more compression inside the chamber due to the detonation resistance of the higher octane fuel, which if utilized will produce more power.

Sorry.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.