Need buying advice

This is a discussion on Need buying advice within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hi I'm a new member to the forum and I am planning to buy a wrx this summer. I was ...

Need buying advice

Hi

I'm a new member to the forum and I am planning to buy a wrx this summer. I was looking in the forum and came across this wrx2003 WRX Aspen 400+ whp and tons of mods! $13,500

It would be my first car. I know little about the mechanics and what I should look out for. Thanks
    Last edited by minduka; 04-15-2009 at 08:13 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by minduka View Post
    It would be my first car. I know little about the mechanics and what I should look out for. Thanks
    not answering your exact question, but here is some food for thought:

how old are you?

if this is going to literally be your first car- i would not purchase it.

stick with a stock wrx- or maybe just a base impreza until you have a few years of experience behind the wheel.. then think about conquering a 400hp vehicle.

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

Quote Originally Posted by wrxtreme06 View Post
    how old are you?

if this is going to literally be your first car- i would not purchase it.

stick with a stock wrx- or maybe just a base impreza until you have a few years of experience behind the wheel.. then think about conquering a 400hp vehicle.
    Very well put.

I'd bet money on the fact that this car would be destroyed very quickly.
    2009 DGM WRX 5-door w/ STI short shifter. Stock...for now.

I Support ClubWRX
    They sound like your parents, but this is a very valid point.

Consider that 400whp is approximately 500 horsepower at the crank.

500 horsepower is what a Dodge Viper makes at the crank.

Colorado State Patrol runs a program called "Alive at 25" and they sponsor 1 night a week through out the summer to be able to "Take it to the Track". They believe it helps 25 year olds and younger get the "speed racer" out of their system once a week so they don't have to drive like an idiot the rest of the week. I think it's a great program, and shows that the CSP isn't a bunch of d-bags.

There is a reason why your insurance goes down after your first year of driving, at 18, at 21, and either 23/25.

You may think you are a great driver right now, but when you are 25 (like myself) you will definitely realize what a friggen idiot you were behind the wheel, and what ridiculous distractions you had.

Throw that in with a 500 crank horsepower car... and you're dead.
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

I Support ClubWRX
    That's testes1010's old car - fantastic build, from a meticulous owner. Probably the only bugeye I would've felt comfortable purchasing with that amount of modifications (I know nothing of the new owner).

Sinister made a pretty good point, and he's about right. As a first car, that would be a pretty poor choice. Most likely, you won't have the driving ability to control it, resulting in a wreck that can injure or even kill you and/or someone else.

To put it into perspective, I haven't had a ticket in 5 years, and haven't been pulled over for anything legitimate since then either (I've never used a radar detector or anything), driving 18-20K miles/year, so I'd like to think I'm a pretty responsible driver. I think temptation would get the best of me on this one. I'd have a tough time being responsible in a car like that (it'd just be too much fun), and would probably lose my license from tickets.
    Last edited by EJ257; 04-14-2009 at 04:24 AM.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Quote Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
    You may think you are a great driver right now, but when you are 25 (like myself) you will definitely realize what a friggen idiot you were behind the wheel, and what ridiculous distractions you had.
    So true. I'm almost 26 (in May), and sometimes I can't believe how stupid I used to drive. Sure, I may go zipping around places still because I like to go fast, but there's a way to do it responsibly, and there's a way to do it irresponsibly. The decisions I would have made when I was 17-20 behind the wheel of a 400 whp car would've most likely gotten me killed. I'm glad all I had was a Corolla.
    2009 DGM WRX 5-door w/ STI short shifter. Stock...for now.

I Support ClubWRX
    I say this time and time again,unless you have deep pockets or have a lot of experience with OBD II "tuner" cars then maybe you should pass this one up.Buy something stock.If you buy a car like you posted you need to realize you will not be able to take it to the dealership/local mechanic when problems arise.They will not touch it with a 10 ft pole.You will be paying $$$ to take it to a performance tuner shop to have them diagnose and repair.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

+1 not having a 500hp car as you first, when i was going to get my first car i originally looked at the sti, test drove it and it was just too much for me at the time, so i went with the wrx, probably one of the most mature choices ever made (that doesnt say much haha) but good luck and for 13.5k you can find a great stock wrx or even stage 2 if you cant be stock
    2007 WRB WRX Limited SOLD
    2008 QSM Legacy Spec.B

I Support ClubWRX
    The horsepower isn't as big a limitation as the mods since the horsepower is only produced when the car is running.

If this is going to be a first car it will also be an only car, and although it has lots of very expensive components fitted, some of high quality, it is unlikely to consistently run as well as a stock car. It is IMO unsuitable as an only car for anyone, whether they have never driven before or they are Niki Lauda.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Wow, thank you all for your advice and concerns. It was very helpful. I forgot about the costly repairs, so I will be considering something less tunned.
    Another question, modified cars cannot be serviced at dealership?

I would like to buy a stock but it seems that there aren't may stock wrx in Indiana

Could you guys advice me on this one? FS: IN '03 WRX Aspen White Low Miles . I think it might be a little overpriced. By the way I'm 25 and consider myself a very responsible driver (First car at 25?! Well I come from a country where public transportation is very developed and traffic jams are hell)
    Last edited by minduka; 04-15-2009 at 08:14 AM.

Nice car with low miles for a bugeye. It looks like it's been taken care of. But for me, as well as others, I only buy stock. At least it doesn't have too much done to it (why the FMIC?). Price does seem a bit high though. If you're truly interested, get a CARFAX and have somebody that knows Subies take a look at it.
    I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
    Blobeye Syndicate #311