07 sti

This is a discussion on 07 sti within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey everyone, just need some advice. I've been drooling over STI's for quite sometime. Every since 04-05 but I could ...

07 sti

Hey everyone, just need some advice. I've been drooling over STI's for quite sometime. Every since 04-05 but I could never seem to get around to get one. I've been looking at this 07 Silver STI. 2-tone. For about 26k. 9k miles. Theres answers that I'm curious on.

1. Are these cars reliable? I'm sure if I would break something on them. It would cost a pretty penny

2. What would be the first thing to go? Wear and tear wise.

3. Is insurance pretty high? For a 23 year old?

I'm a car enthusiaist. I've had a turboed celica GT, S2000 and I now own a SRT-4 . I would like to step up real towards performance. I don't really care for comfort but without ripping a hole in my pocket.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Jconno85 View Post
    Hey everyone, just need some advice. I've been drooling over STI's for quite sometime. Every since 04-05 but I could never seem to get around to get one. I've been looking at this 07 Silver STI. 2-tone. For about 26k. 9k miles. Theres answers that I'm curious on.

1. Are these cars reliable? I'm sure if I would break something on them. It would cost a pretty penny

2. What would be the first thing to go? Wear and tear wise.

3. Is insurance pretty high? For a 23 year old?

I'm a car enthusiaist. I've had a turboed celica GT, S2000 and I now own a SRT-4 . I would like to step up real towards performance. I don't really care for comfort but without ripping a hole in my pocket.
    1) any care is reliable if you take care of it and treat it right.

2) well, it depends on how you drive. if i had to choose something i'd say turbo or transmission, although both will last forever if you take care of it

3) no one can answer this question either. there are a LOT of factors that go into an insurance quote. dont ask us, ask your insurance company whether or not its going to be high.

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

Hey, thanks for the reply.

It's a subbie. They should last forever. They are great for snow. Well, that comes from my experiences with the outback. It's what attracts me to them. I live in Vermont. So...snow for 5-6 months. Question 1. My SRT-4. Yes, if you treat them well. It will you well but something about the sync is messed up in all models. Grinding in 3rd. Sometimes comes natural.

How are the 09s? Anything different? Same turbo with same amount of boost? I haven't heard much about them yet so everyone that I know demands a 07 or below. They look extremely sexy though. I have no excuses on it looking like a wagon. I just want to make the right choice in year. If that makes a difference. Towards it's prime yet.

One last question. How come the front-end suspension is lifted so high?

I Support ClubWRX
    '09 is arguably the best year WRX available.

The '07 STi has a HORRIBLE factory tune, but the best gear ratio of the STi sedan. If you buy the '07, you should really get a tune ASAP. Not sure where you're located, but we'll be flying a tuner in this month or the next. PM me for more details.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Vez
    I don't know if this still holds true or not, but shortly after I got my 07 STI, SOA issued a free "factory" retune to fix the problem. I took mine to my dealer and they did it there in 10 minutes. Once I got the reflash, all the problems went away.

If you plan on modding your car, EM is most likely in your near future. If you plan on going that route anyway, and if affordable, a Cobb AccessPORT will nullify the need to get a retune from the dealer (you can just download the proper stock map if you want it, but you will most likely just run thier Stage 1 map instead). I'm sure other forms of EM would also work.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #081
    I'm the only person born a Pirate and trained as a Ninja; I sometimes don't get along with myself..
    2007 UGM WRX STI Ltd. #081/800

I Support ClubWRX
    Hey, thanks for the reply.

It's a subbie. They should last forever. They are great for snow. Well, that comes from my experiences with the outback. It's what attracts me to them. I live in Vermont. So...snow for 5-6 months. Question 1. My SRT-4. Yes, if you treat them well. It will you well but something about the sync is messed up in all models. Grinding in 3rd. Sometimes comes natural.
    oh trust me, i know. my boyfriend has an srt-4 and i know first hand about the 3rd gear griding lol

anyway- i honestly would not look at an 08/09 sti. if youre used to driving something rigged and "raw" feeling like the srt, i dont think you'd appreciate the softness of the new sti's.

the 09 wrx's however, are VERY fun (imo) and perfect for daily driving

desiree

Quote Originally Posted by idipskoalmint View Post

The '07 STi has a HORRIBLE factory tune, but the best gear ratio of the STi sedan. If you buy the '07, you should really get a tune ASAP. Not sure where you're located, but we'll be flying a tuner in this month or the next. PM me for more details.
    Didn't this only affect a certain vin range or was fixed after a certain vin number?
    Bugeye Mafia #141 Military Militia #007 Hawkeye Alliance #126 The Stink-Eye Mob #92
    03 WRB WRX - Sold
    07 WRB STi - Sold
    11 SWP WRX - Current

Without having to test drive a STI first. The SRT-4 has a farily decent ride. It's not too hard on bumps but it's the STI that I heard was a rough ride. Just like the Evo 8s. Either way. I use to have a turboed Celica GT with tein coilovers and a S2000. Im sure it's not worse than those 2 cars. I could feel every little ripple in the road. Nearly a butt massage to it's finest. I'll take it from actual owners to tell me if it's good or bad. If all else fails and I can't afford the STI. I'll have to stick with a WRX. Not too much difference. Other than the upgraded suspense, bigger turbo and differerential settings and the other small things they added...bigger spoiler, hood scoop, 6 speed...etc...if I'm correct? Both look like really good cars and I'd be damn happy to own one. Especially compard to a FWD.

It's not a good feeling to be driving in the snow with winter tires. Sliding a little bit and even if you accelerate even more. You keep going sideways(drifting with no controls).

The one thing that I'm scared about and I'm sure everyone else is about buying used cars are the premods or finding out the driver before you just rallied the hell out of it. Same with the SRT-4. I was very lucky with mine but it's not up to par with my requirements. I plan on trading my SRT-4 in but I'm not sure if I can get a 18k loan . I'll be trying though.

Sorry for the repost or what not. How could the 09 wrxs be more fun than the 09 STIs? What's the boost ranged in the WRX's anyway?

I Support ClubWRX
    Sorry for the repost or what not. How could the 09 wrxs be more fun than the 09 STIs?
    i drove both cars and wrote reviews on them. you can read them if youre bored. lol:

my 09 wrx test driving experience

my (late) 2008 STi review!

cliff notes: the sti felt soft to me, compared to the other years. power delivery was weak & it was very toned down.

the 09 wrx on the other hand (despite less horsepower/tq than the sti), FELT comparable to the older wrx's and sti's as far as power & what not. it was very peppy and fun to drive. i didnt feel like i was in my grandpa's station wagon or anything

desiree

Hm...good reviews. Reading from magazines The tighter feel from the STI seems to be common in reviews. I wouldn't prefer a rough ride. The horsepower in both cars seems to be just fine. Depending on the taste of one another. My car has 260(something like that). WRX - 265. Not like I'm going to be using the power much. I just want it there. Just to have it. The comfort rating of the car is a plus. I do take long road trips. No need for a numb butt. I get that alot with my current car. I find the STI to be more towards the extremist of Subaru lovers. No offense. I'm not one of them. Only the right one for me. So I'm leaning more towards the WRX. Sedan especially. Not a fan of hatchbacks.

If anyone else has informative stuff to stay. Feel free. All the better to make my decision.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB007
    Didn't this only affect a certain vin range or was fixed after a certain vin number?
    Not quite sure - all I know is how many horror stories I read about of stock '07s with blown motors
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Quote Originally Posted by idipskoalmint View Post
    Not quite sure - all I know is how many horror stories I read about of stock '07s with blown motors
    I've had mine for almost a year and I haven't had any problems.

To the OP you may be on the right track with the 09 WRX, I guess that is my two cents.
    Bugeye Mafia #141 Military Militia #007 Hawkeye Alliance #126 The Stink-Eye Mob #92
    03 WRB WRX - Sold
    07 WRB STi - Sold
    11 SWP WRX - Current