Intake/Exhaust Upgrade Advice

This is a discussion on Intake/Exhaust Upgrade Advice within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hello everyone, Now that my tax $$ is in the bank I'm looking into some upgrades to do on my ...

Intake/Exhaust Upgrade Advice

Hello everyone,

Now that my tax $$ is in the bank I'm looking into some upgrades to do on my 02' WRX. I'm new to both tuning and the WRX, but have done some simple upgrades with my brother on his Celica GT (Cold Air, spoiler, etc.) So I was thinking about buying a cold air intake and possibly an exhaust upgrade for mine.

I'd like to hear what more experienced people suggest for upgrades to start with.

Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome to the Club!

There are a lot of stickies (permanent posts), and a lot of reading that will help you on your quest to make your car more enjoyable.

My suggestion is to read the ones in the Engine Modifications forum so you can figure out what you want.

Everyone can benefit from a Turbo-back exhaust, and a tune. You can either purchase a catted or non-catted turbo-back exhaust. As far as the tune: Either purchase a Cobb AccessPort v2 (cobbtuning.com) or purchase a tactrix cable and download maps and use your computer to tune.

The VERY first thing you need to do though, is purchase a new up-pipe! You have a catalytic converter known as a "pre-cat" in there, and it has been removed on 06+ WRXs because it can fragment and destroy your turbo!!

My suggestion is to purchase the APS Up-pipe because it is the only one that uses heat shielding and a flex pipe.

Welcome again!
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

I don't recommend going with a CAI. Its not necessary. Get a drop in filter and you should be fine. Like Sinister said a turboback exhaust and most importantly a tune. Use the search in this forum, very helpful from members that been there and done that.

C.
    04 Blobeye wagon
    AFE Filter, ebay catback.
    03 RR Evo sold

Don't get a CAI

Do get uppipe, downpipe, catback.

Then if you're wondering what to do next, get engine management

Listen to Sinister,

The best thing for your ride would probably be a new Up pipe, get that restrictive (see, dangerous) factory cat the Hizzle out of there. No good can come from it.

And while a CAI may seem appealing just remember that the factory subaru Intake is good up to something like 300HP, that, and it's already a cold air/ram air intake system, that won't make your engine eat itself if you drive through a puddle.

after that, the best thing for you IMHO in order are

1. a good tune
    2. down pipe
    3. rear brake upgrade
    4. replace factory Y pipe behind TMIC (top mount intercooler
    5. rear sway bar
    6. a good tune

happy modding!
    "if you are going to tell someone the truth you had better make them laugh otherwise they'll kill you" - George Bernard Shaw.
    Bugeye Mafia #214
    Dirty Crew #42

Thanks a lot guys. I've been checking out some turbo back exhausts systems avialable. Ebay has a ton of them. Any dealers on there that I should steer clear of? Also, I tried to find some places that sell the aps up pipe you recommended. They seem to be only sold by APS dealers. Know any good places to find all this stuff?

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Supermyhr View Post
    Thanks a lot guys. I've been checking out some turbo back exhausts systems avialable. Ebay has a ton of them. Any dealers on there that I should steer clear of?
    If you ever plan on seeing snow/road salt, all of them. If you live in a dry environment, a lot of them will work.

^^^+1 i live in nj and had one on my wrx when i first got it. it rusted and lost its shine.

look for used parts on here. you dont neccesarily have to go with the aps up-pipe either. i like perrin txs and the hks up-pipe i have installed all 3 of thoose and never had a problem with any of them. i would stay away from the helix up-pipe ran into fitment issues with that one.
    03 WRB WRX STAGE II
    STi COMING SOON

BUGEYE MAFIA #199

LET ME QUOTE THE LATE COLONEL SANDERS " I'M TO DRUNK TO TASTE THIS CHICKEN . . ."