WRX Noob

This is a discussion on WRX Noob within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hay all, just bought an 04 Black WRX. Lovin it so far except for first gear. I also own a ...

WRX Noob

Hay all, just bought an 04 Black WRX. Lovin it so far except for first gear. I also own a Galant VR4 and have been trying to get it built/runnin for awhile now, so i have a little car work under my belt. A few questions for those more experienced than I:

How bad is it to install the STI shifter?
    Are those Prodrive lowering springs worth the money?
    What is the first cat exhaust piece called/should i replace or just gut it?
    Does the stock IC piping need upgraded?
    And does the stock scoop really not work after 60mph?

Thanks for the help!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    1. How bad is it to install the STI shifter? (if you've worked on a car before it shouldnt be too hard. If this is your 1st project to undertake ever, you may need to set an afternoon aside to do it)
    2. Are those Prodrive lowering springs worth the money? (no comment, never driven on them)
    3. What is the first cat exhaust piece called/should i replace or just gut it? (Up-pipe. You can gut it, but aftermarket ones are already cheap and will net a few more hp)
    4. Does the stock IC piping need upgraded? (+5 whp can be gained from getting a better y-pipe)
    5. And does the stock scoop really not work after 60mph? (False, '02-'03 WRXs were said to have a problem where around 100-110 mph air would be deflected over the scoop instead of into it, but when the '04 redesign came they added a larger scoop)

The reason I ask about the shifter is on the galant you have to remove the middle console and its a pain. Thanks for the info, ill just have to find out on those springs. Its a ways off anyway when im able to get some rims.