First WRX (Advice?)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on First WRX (Advice?) within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey all! First off, I apologize for asking for advice in my first post on the boards. I've always been ...

First WRX (Advice?)

Hey all!

First off, I apologize for asking for advice in my first post on the boards. I've always been a WRX fan and have finally been put into a situation where I can afford to get one. It's used, and the price seems alright for the mileage and condition, so I was hoping maybe a few of you current owners could give me some advice on what to look for when I give it a test drive and look over at the dealership tonight. Here's the page for it on the dealerships website:

2002 Subaru Impreza 4 Door Sedan - Pre-Owned Inventory Details at Whaling City Ford Lincoln Mercury Mazda - Your New London, Connecticut Ford Lincoln Mercury dealer

Any replies at all would be most appreciated. Looking forward to hilarious antics and conversations in the future.

~Dan~

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Registered User streetfighterkz's Avatar
    Looks clean and most importantly unmolested. The low mileage doesn't hurt either.

Obviously when you take a test drive check the steering for pulling to the side, clunks from the suspension, shaking/ vibrations from warped rotors during braking, etc. Also see if the dealership can provide you with a Carfax so atleast you have some sort of info about previous owners/accidents, etc.

Later, Doug

Quote Originally Posted by streetfighterkz View Post
    Looks clean and most importantly unmolested. The low mileage doesn't hurt either.

Obviously when you take a test drive check the steering for pulling to the side, clunks from the suspension, shaking/ vibrations from warped rotors during braking, etc. Also see if the dealership can provide you with a Carfax so atleast you have some sort of info about previous owners/accidents, etc.

Later, Doug
    Thanks Doug,

Great advice, much appreciated. Hopefully I'll log on tonight and post a few pics of my new "quick and shiny".

~Dan

The car does look clean. Is it just me or does the price seem kinda high for an 02? I would think you should be able to get it for about $8k from what I have seen.

Quote Originally Posted by 09WRXShopper View Post
    The car does look clean. Is it just me or does the price seem kinda high for an 02? I would think you should be able to get it for about $8k from what I have seen.
    That's a bit of priceless information I was hoping to gather from this post. I did some googling and research and it seems like most 02 WRX Impreza's that are going for around 8k have nearer to 90,000 miles on them. The price is listed at 10.7...I was gonna ask for 10k out the door. Figured it's a foundation to start on in terms of haggling.

Check out the stickies/faq's at the top of this forum
    Car Purchasing Forum - ClubWRX Forum - Subaru Impreza WRX and STi Community and Forums

A starting point of 9k out the door would be better if you're looking to haggle

However, 10K out the door would be a good price to pay.

Awesome. Thanks a mill. for the feedback. Anything helps. I'll take a look at that thread too.

A starting point of $10k isn't much different from what they are asking. Go look at the car, test drive it, let them tell you all about it, then sit down with them and talk price, I would suggest starting your offer at $9k, or even $8,5k depending on the condition of the car when you see it in person. Talk about the condition of the car, it's almost 7 years old, use things like age and paint condition (this is big because Subarus are notorious with paint chipping, etc.) as a bargaining point. Also, check the tires, if they are pretty worn, mention that and the dealer might be able to put new tires on if you pay a little more than what you are offering. This works out for both of you because the dealer buys tires at a lower cost than you, and you drive away with brand new tires which you will be buying eventually anyways.

Hope that helps, good luck! And remember, you can always walk away, there will be more Subies out there! (And chances are if you show interest and walk away, they will call you with a better offer)

Thanks for the response. It's funny you mentioned walking away. After speaking with the dealer for 45 minutes after the initial test drive, he wasn't willing to budge on the price. There were two noticeable dents on the passenger side, large scrapes on the rear bumpers, and yes...chips in the paint on the hood. I'd love to get myself into a Subie, but it has to be something I can live with for the next several years at the very least. I may save a few more grand and take a look at some 09's, as I've heard nothing but great things about them from other forum members.

Thanks again for your amazing advice. I hope to update you guys when I have better news.

~Dan

That's exactly my experience, I just bought an 05 after looking at an 03, I love the bugeyes but the ones I found were pretty beat up.

Quote Originally Posted by ryscott View Post
    A starting point of $10k isn't much different from what they are asking. Go look at the car, test drive it, let them tell you all about it, then sit down with them and talk price, I would suggest starting your offer at $9k, or even $8,5k depending on the condition of the car when you see it in person. Talk about the condition of the car, it's almost 7 years old, use things like age and paint condition (this is big because Subarus are notorious with paint chipping, etc.) as a bargaining point. Also, check the tires, if they are pretty worn, mention that and the dealer might be able to put new tires on if you pay a little more than what you are offering. This works out for both of you because the dealer buys tires at a lower cost than you, and you drive away with brand new tires which you will be buying eventually anyways.

Hope that helps, good luck! And remember, you can always walk away, there will be more Subies out there! (And chances are if you show interest and walk away, they will call you with a better offer)
    75,000 miles is not that bad considering it is 7 years old...thats about 10,000 miles a year.

You will be lucky to bring that price lower than 10,000, but you can find used bugeyes on the street for a little cheaper, though it's a greater risk.
    Bugeye Mafia #213
    Kevin
    2002 Midnight Black Pearl WRX (Traded In!)

2012 Ice Silver Metallic STi Sedan

IF YOU TAKE ANY OF THIS ADVICE ON HAGGLING. TAKE MINE. I BEG OF YOU.

This might be obvious to you, but I'm just making sure. When your test driving, looking at it, pretend to be un-amused, and just "So-So" about the car. Be quick to point out any and all flaws. This points you in a better position for negotiation. Don't over do it and make them think you are a "Tire Kicker" so to speak, but certainly don't be praising the car the entire time. That points them in a position to call it 10.7 firm.

In my opinion, 9k would be a deal, 9.6-9.8 a break, but 10k really isn't that bad. I paid 9k for a Silver 2002 Automatic with 72,000 miles, and it was worth every penny. I got it for 9k because it was A) In cash, and B) The thing had several creases from car doors being opened into it.

Which reminds me, be really careful looking over for pings, dings, and creases. Silver really hides it well when clean.

Over all though, I'm happy for you, and welcome to the family! That car if taken care of properly should take you well into the 200,000 range
    Evos make eight pound six ounce baby jesus cry...

vintage '02 bug eyes died in clifton VA *tear*

08 WRB WRX is now ftw.

Banned
    I have an 09 wrx and everytime i get into my car i find another reason why i love it. My suggestion is that you should save your money for a big down payment on an 09 and haggle yourself into a brand new car if it has to last you several years the 09 will be your best bet

Quote Originally Posted by DTKLBI View Post
    I have an 09 wrx and everytime i get into my car i find another reason why i love it. My suggestion is that you should save your money for a big down payment on an 09 and haggle yourself into a brand new car if it has to last you several years the 09 will be your best bet
    how much did you pay for your 09?

final price and downpayment amount?
    Bugeye Mafia #213
    Kevin
    2002 Midnight Black Pearl WRX (Traded In!)

2012 Ice Silver Metallic STi Sedan

Quote Originally Posted by DTKLBI View Post

Sounds like this may be the direction I'm leaning towards. The more I read about the 09's the more I'd like to see myself in one.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.