Tech Question on 04 WRX
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Tech Question on 04 WRX within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey guys I am new to the subaru world but hope to learn and mod my car more! I bought ...

Tech Question on 04 WRX

Hey guys I am new to the subaru world but hope to learn and mod my car more! I bought a 04 wrx (not sti )with around 50K on it for a really good deal and I am just woundering what power can the car hold without changing the clutch or turbo? The car currently is set at 14.5 psi which I believe is the same as the sti version? This was done by a former shop employee who passed away and the wife sold the car dirt cheap. What type of numbers am I expecting if i were to put it on a dyno? Also what is the max psi or hp the turbo can hold? I currently have a perrin boost controller, cobb cold air intake, Greddy RS BOV, and Cobb exhaust.

Also what parts can fit from the sti version?( I know this is broad but maybe a link? Mainly like engine parts, and exhaust like elbow pipe, downpipe, straight pipe, plugs, wires, alternator etc.)

I tried searching but like any others there is a bunch of threads that I just don't want to look hours through or they are dead links! So please don't say search cause I did, and will continue to untill i find the answers or untill someone helps me out!

Thanks and hope to get pics up soon as my camara comes back!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    Is it tuned? If not, take off the boost controller. And do you have a downpipe?

No its not tuned for it and stock dp. Only got a catback! The mbc is only 1 psi more then stock according to wrx/sti info so i dought it does any harm as i ran mbc on my other cars with no ill effects even at 5+ psi! But i might get the car tuned at 17+ psi in 2 weeks which is why I asked what the turbo can hold.

Can anyone help maybe move this to the tech section?

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    If you're getting tuned, then you won't be the one deciding the amount of boost you'll run. Until then, you need to be running stock boost (I don't see +1 psi being a huge deal, but no more). Your WRX is not a DSM.

A yes, what parts will swap between STI and WRX is very broad, as most parts will. Here's a better question, what are you wanting to swap out for STI parts?

Well I did some searching and found out majority of engine parts are interchangable kinda like the nissans! So my main question now is what is the hp the engine and trans can handle I maybe looking around 350 to 400 whp. Which after reading some articles and post seems like the engine is built to hold around 500 to the flywheel? Is my power goal too steep to be running as a daily with some street pulls and some time attacks and road courses on weekends? Of course I will be getting bigger injectors, upgraded clutch, 255 fuel pump and bigger elbow or uppipe as you subbie people like to call it, along with a down pipe and mid section. And maybe a turbo. Possibly thinking of a medium sized Holset, little smalled then the hx/hy35 as they are cheap and last a long time and only require the flanges to be modified on the piping which will also lead to better turbo choice down the road and less money aswell! Yea there power band might be a little less and have a little less hp and trq but for a fraction of the price it's hard to beat! I was researching and looks like the vf22 was the one that held the most hp around 400 to 450hp and reliablity of all the turbos as most articles stated but they are hard to find. Maybe havent looked hard enough

I Support ClubWRX
    Unabomber's Manifesto - NASIOC

This one link will answer almost any question you might have...
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.