Finally a member of the WRX family...
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Finally a member of the WRX family... within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Well it took quite some time and effort, but i finally got rid of my 2003 Xtreme blazer(which has a ...

Finally a member of the WRX family...

Well it took quite some time and effort, but i finally got rid of my 2003 Xtreme blazer(which has a decent chunk of change invested) for a 2004 wrx. I love everything about the car and always have. I just put my first mod on last night, its a typhoon K&N CAI..I wanted to say hi to the community and ask if i could purchase a hks hipower catback exhaust and possibly later convert it to a turbo back? im sure i can but not positive. Thanks to anyone with some insight, and hello

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

welcome to the club, congrats on the wrx. and to answer your question yes< if you get a catback now you can later convert to a turboback, the only thing you would have to make sure of is if they match up. there is also alot of valuable information to be learned from the site, and it is crucial to use the search button. congrats once again and do you have any pictures?
    2007 WRB WRX Limited SOLD
    2008 QSM Legacy Spec.B

quick question...

My buddy told me there can be some negative aspects to installing a CAI on a WRX...just wondering if anyone knows anything about this or if my friend is just jealous of my newly purchased car lol...thanks

yea there can be some problems with cai's, but thats not to say that you will have them, most people will just advise unistalling it, and put in KNN drop in filter and doing an intake silencer delete
    2008 QSM Legacy Spec.B

eehhh already spent the money, if a problem arises ill deal w it at that point, if none come up then theres not point in doing anything

Registered User DrumminAnimal73's Avatar
    Welcome!

exactly, but if you do happen to have a problem ( god forbid) the first question some one will ask is "do you have a cold air intake."
    2008 QSM Legacy Spec.B

I Support ClubWRX
    Do you have the K&N Typhoon Short Ram Intake? (the filter is in the engine bay) or the K&N Typhoon Cold Air Intake? (filter is in your fender)

The Short Ram actually is perfectly fine for your vehicle, and I have the same exact one on my car. Just don't over oil it!
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

Princess Moderator

I Support ClubWRX
    Our WRX has had a CAI intake, I know people who run them too and have had with no issues at all.

Ohh and WELCOME TO THE CLUB... Enjoy your new ride!
    Jennifer - "Consigliere" for the Bugeye Mafia
    ScoobyDMCtt - Blobeye Syndicate #007
    04 STi ECU - with Protune - FSTi Garrett GT40 -- 422whp-more to come... 12.86 @ 105

BoBBy TuNED@ preracing.com --- DIFFERENT STROKES

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 03WRX_YELLOW View Post
    Our WRX has had a CAI intake, I know people who run them too and have had with no issues at all.

Ohh and WELCOME TO THE CLUB... Enjoy your new ride!
    Your WRX is also tuned... correct?
    Kevin
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ

If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

Princess Moderator

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
    Your WRX is also tuned... correct?
    wasn't for awhile when we first bought it .... And it ran fine. tbe and cai was a few of the first mods. daily driven and raced on the weekends.

Its a hell of a beast now, tuned with AEM.
    Last edited by 03WRX_YELLOW; 04-02-2009 at 10:06 PM.
    04 STi ECU - with Protune - FSTi Garrett GT40 -- 422whp-more to come... 12.86 @ 105

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 03WRX_YELLOW View Post
    wasn't for awhile when we first bought it .... And it ran fine. tbe and cai was a few of the first mods. daily driven and raced on the weekends.

Its a hell of a beast now, tuned with AEM.
    I know you're no newb to soob's.. but did you actually get Wideband AFRs to verify this, or did it just feel fine?

And I'm not saying ALL CAIs are bad news bears... but you and I know for the past 7 years the thought "CAIs create lean conditions without a tune" has been proven true over and over....
    Kevin
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ

Princess Moderator

I Support ClubWRX
    I know you're no newb to soob's.. but did you actually get Wideband AFRs to verify this, or did it just feel fine?

And I'm not saying ALL CAIs are bad news bears... but you and I know for the past 7 years the thought "CAIs create lean conditions without a tune" has been proven true over and over....
    What I am saying is the only thing that has been proven is different size inside diameters of MAF housings can cause lean and rich conditions and it has nothing to do with cold air vs short ram. You buy cheap intakes, cold air or not and its the wrong diameter, it will make the car run improper without a tune... but you buy a well built intake that is made at the right diameter it will affect the air fuel ratio no different than having a drop in filter in a stock airbox.
    To get real technical with you most people lose power on their car because they remove the stock airbox and put a short ram intake on there car with no heatshielding of any kind and then the ecu see's higher intake air temps and pulls timing thus losing power. even though the air fuel ratios are right it will still pull timing. Unfortunately there are so many myths on the internet about certain mods on cars that are incorrect because of the bad rep given because of poor installation and cheap parts. There are several parts regarding our cars that are controversal but most of the time with some real research you will find that there are parts out there that are made well and fit right and work well for our cars.

Sorry for the long rant but I felt the explanation was needed if you would like to talk more about this I really do appreciate your input as well, please pm me.

Also our findings on our car were verified with a innovate wide band xd-1 and then to further reinforce our findings I have asked Bobby several times about this subject and he basically tells me the same thing I explained above and he has proven it himself on the dyno.
    Last edited by 03WRX_YELLOW; 04-03-2009 at 12:04 AM.

I Support ClubWRX
    I fully understand the MAF housing size, and the heat... that's why I went with the K&N... heatshield, correct size piping, and even a heatshield for the MAF.

What I'm asking is... So you're saying that the "Swirling effect" that some cold air intakes supposedly create, causing the air to travel around the MAF causing false readings on a stock car is a 100% myth in your opinion?

And I agree that there are parts that are made well and work well for our vehicles... cobb, k&n, aps, spt are all brands that come to mind with short ram intakes that work well.. but that doesn't mean that there aren't issues that are associated with some parts from reputable companies... I know for a breath Perrin was shipping sways that weren't fitting correctly, but they ended up fixing that... And my SPT heatshield wasn't bent correctly...

I apologize for digressing, but just because it's common knowledge that the K&N SRI works well, that doesn't mean that their CAI doesn't have issues... unless it's been proven otherwise.
    Kevin
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ

I fully understand the MAF housing size, and the heat... that's why I went with the K&N... heatshield, correct size piping, and even a heatshield for the MAF.

What I'm asking is... So you're saying that the "Swirling effect" that some cold air intakes supposedly create, causing the air to travel around the MAF causing false readings on a stock car is a 100% myth in your opinion?

And I agree that there are parts that are made well and work well for our vehicles... cobb, k&n, aps, spt are all brands that come to mind with short ram intakes that work well.. but that doesn't mean that there aren't issues that are associated with some parts from reputable companies... I know for a breath Perrin was shipping sways that weren't fitting correctly, but they ended up fixing that... And my SPT heatshield wasn't bent correctly...

I apologize for digressing, but just because it's common knowledge that the K&N SRI works well, that doesn't mean that their CAI doesn't have issues... unless it's been proven otherwise.
    The swirling effect your talking about is when there is a bend in the pipe to close to where the sensor is reading the air. When an intake has this bend to close it will cause improper reading. but that comes down to poor manufacturing, not the fact that it is a cold air intake. I think what jen is saying is, its not the fact that an intake is cold air or not, but how its manufactured that will affect your air fuels. short rams are a little more forgiving in some aspects because you dont have to worry about that bend being to close to the maf sensor. But when a cold air is manufactured properly it works great as ours did on our 03 WRX.

thanks-
    bobby
    Last edited by PREracing; 04-02-2009 at 11:36 PM.
    bobby@preracing.com
    Performance Race Engineering
    503-619-0055

preracing.com
    Follow us on Twitter
    Friend us on MySpace

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.