Finally a member of the WRX family... - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on Finally a member of the WRX family... within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; We have fully digressed... the issue for the OP is... K&N CAI... good news or bad news? Unless anyone has ...

I Support ClubWRX
    We have fully digressed... the issue for the OP is... K&N CAI... good news or bad news?

Unless anyone has any legit proof, do we know?
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Princess Moderator

I Support ClubWRX
    oh..I was just answering your questions you had to me personally about our wrx. I'll have to ask Bobby... I'm sure he missed that part. LOL Hes in bed now though.

I know of people who have the typhoon short ram, not CAI.
    Jennifer - "Consigliere" for the Bugeye Mafia
    ScoobyDMCtt - Blobeye Syndicate #007
    04 STi ECU - with Protune - FSTi Garrett GT40 -- 422whp-more to come... 12.86 @ 105

BoBBy TuNED@ preracing.com --- DIFFERENT STROKES

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 03WRX_YELLOW View Post
    oh..I was just answering your questions you had to me personally about our wrx. I'll have to ask Bobby... I'm sure he missed that part. LOL Hes in bed now though.

I know of people who have the typhoon short ram, not CAI.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
    I apologize for digressing, but just because it's common knowledge that the K&N SRI works well, that doesn't mean that their CAI doesn't have issues... unless it's been proven otherwise.

Yeah.. that got a little clouded.. I was asking for his sake, but the OP never responded whether he has the CAI or SRI... so it may not matter!

I run the K&N short ram myself, and know 4 or 5 others personally that do as well.. but I have yet to meet anyone with the K&N CAI for some reason...
    Kevin
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ

If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

I Support ClubWRX
    It looks like K&N took their cold air off of their website, and only sell short ram now... I wonder why...

(and just so people don't think I'm an idiot and it never existed... here's a link to the CAI)
    K&N Typhoon Cold Air Intake System (2.0l WRX) - Modern Automotive Performance
    Kevin
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ

Quote Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
    We have fully digressed... the issue for the OP is... K&N CAI... good news or bad news?

Unless anyone has any legit proof, do we know?
    I wouldnt get say we got completely off topic, but after reading everything I will say we def. strayed away a little. I simply was responding to your statement about how you feel it has been proven that CAI's in general cause lean conditions. then you asked about our car specifically being verified that it worked well or not. However I see now that you could of assumed Jen was saying we had a K&N CAI, and that is not the case, I read it like you were saying all CAI's, and I wanted to try and shed some light on this "myth" about "all" CAI's being bad. I dont ever remember seeing a K&N CAI I have always seen the short rams so I have no proof either way if the cold air version of this intake works well or not. But there is a way to find out if an intake will cause an issue or not and that is measure the inside diameter of the tube and compare it to the stock airbox, then a rule used for MAF sensor location is on the intake tube mark the center line of the sensor location. Then from that line measure towards the air filter, and the pipe should have no bends in it for at least double the diameter of the pipe. So if your inside diameter is 2.75 inches then your straight portion of your pipe should be atleast 5.5 inches. That allows the air to straighten out before being metered. Hope that helps anyone.

thanks-
    bobby
    Last edited by PREracing; 04-03-2009 at 08:27 AM.
    bobby@preracing.com
    Performance Race Engineering
    503-619-0055

preracing.com
    Follow us on Twitter
    Friend us on MySpace

damn that got pretty in depth there haha. Thanks to everyone for your insight and personal knowledge concerning this issue. I did the measurements suggested and it looks like im fine. K&N is def not a cheap no name brand and they did it right. Thanks again to everyone..any suggestions for my first couple mods? it came with a GFB Stealth BOV, plus the CAI i just installed...i was thinking catback exhaust but any input would be greatly considered since im new to the subaru tuning scene. Thanks again everybody this site is extremely helpful!

you will see little if any gain with a cbe besides from the sound. you should look into finding a stock wrx bpv and get rid of your gfb bov. unless its set right gfb i assume your talking about go fast bits do tend to leak. also lookinto an aftermarket dp catted/catless depending upon your emission laws and look into an aftermarket up-pipe or gut your stocker.
    03 WRB WRX STAGE II
    STi COMING SOON

BUGEYE MAFIA #199

LET ME QUOTE THE LATE COLONEL SANDERS " I'M TO DRUNK TO TASTE THIS CHICKEN . . ."

yeah well its too late now lol the cbe is on its way here. I am working with the funds i have and plan on looking into a catted downpipe for a future investment. I also lost my license for legal reasons so i wont b able to hit the streets for awhile. So by the time i can actually get it out of my driveway i plan on converting the CBE to a TBE, its just a matter of time and money. Thanks tho for the info. its always appreciated...where in Jersey you from? I have a bunch of friends that are pretty serious tuners from Philadelphia, maybe you know one of them somehow, thanks again buddy

Welcome from one former Xtreme Blazer owner to another

Quote Originally Posted by MarkyMark04rex View Post
    where in Jersey you from?
    im from the toms river area. i live like 5 minutes from seaside im sure you've been there before.
    03 WRB WRX STAGE II
    STi COMING SOON

BUGEYE MAFIA #199

LET ME QUOTE THE LATE COLONEL SANDERS " I'M TO DRUNK TO TASTE THIS CHICKEN . . ."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12