New to the site and up-pipe question
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on New to the site and up-pipe question within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hi, New to the site and was just wondering what would be the best up-pipe to run with my 04 ...

New to the site and up-pipe question

Hi,

New to the site and was just wondering what would be the best up-pipe to run with my 04 wrx. I have a tbe from cobb that I just put on and flashed my ecu with accessport. Any suggetions?

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Grimmspeed
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I Support ClubWRX
    are you looking for, what, best performance gains? cheapest? fitment?

All I recommend is that you make sure you get one with a flexpipe... otherwise you may not get a good seal under hard acceleration, or there even have been people that have broken turbo studs from aftermarket uppipe or headers without a built in flexpipe. (Don't quote me... but I think there was a thread on nasty-sock about it)
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

I am looking for mostly performance and fitment... so you are saying flexpipe... I remember reading somewhere that flexpipe up-pipes were no good, but I really don't know too much about up-pipes.... Is there any particular brand you would recommend?

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    Sinister, best performance gains? All of these are more or less foot long steel pipes that do the same exact thing.

I say get a solid pipe, but be sure to put it on right the 1st time.

I'm running an agency power for the past year and haven't had any issues. also i would stick with a solid pipe because the flew sections tend to leak over time. Also cobb and perrin both use solid piping. Perrin also removes the egt sensor and included the resistor to avoid the cel in their kit. I belive its around $200. Really just depends on what brand you like as they are all mostly the same other than flange thickness.

Just remember USE ALL NEW GASKETS do not reuse your old gaskets and tighten the turbo studs first then the connection to the manifolds after you get the new pipe in and all nuts and bolts started loosely. As for the install most people think its a major pain. I did the up-pipe, downpipe, and threw in sti group N motor motor mounts and samco intercooler hoses in just under 4 hours. Really isnt that bad at all.

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    ^ Just don't buy Agency Power.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by brfatal View Post
    Sinister, best performance gains? All of these are more or less foot long steel pipes that do the same exact thing.

I say get a solid pipe, but be sure to put it on right the 1st time.
    I understand, but there is plenty of speculation that a flexpipe creates pre-turbo turbulence that supposedly means they get fewer horsepower gains than a solid-pipe.

I used to get annoyed by ur challenging, but I'm starting to enjoy it!

To the original question:
    I hate the company, but I'd probably get a turboXS one. Has flexpipe and is a reputable company.

The only reason I'd stick to a flexpipe: If you end up down the line with a good amount of power, and stock engine mounts... you'll possibly (not probably) have a chance of encountering problems with either exhaust leaks, or a broken stud. Neither are that expensive to fix, but I like doing things right the first time.
    Kevin
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ

If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by brfatal View Post
    ^ Just don't buy Agency Power.
    +1

Stick to reputable companies..

Except hks downpipes on an internally gated setup!!
    Kevin
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ

Whats wrong with Agency Power?!?! They're stuff is good quality and i haven't had any complaints. I even have one of there metal turbo inlets and it was very nice. Given it didnt come with all the stuff that the APS comes with but i was able to run all the vac lines and such the way i wanted to and havent had any issues at all after rescaling the maf tables to accomadate the larger pipe. Agency Power is a good brand that is overall priced less than the competition and thats a win win in my book. But to each his own i guess

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    Agency Power is Vivid/Nyx Racing's house brand.

Vivid and Nyx (same company) are well known scammers in the auto enthusiast world. Every single forum I've ever been on (not just Subaru ones) has banned them as vendors because of it. Hell, the reason Nyx Racing exists is because Vivid was losing customers and needed a new company name to sell under.

60 page thread about why they suck: Vividracing.com (unregistered vendor: please read the whole thread) - NASIOC

Never buy from either company or buy Agency Power products.
    Last edited by brfatal; 04-06-2009 at 09:28 PM.

Thanks for all the responses!

You guys aren't makin it easy for me tho! lol, some saying solid and some saying flex.... but no worries bout the brand types. i always tend to stick to name brands and higher quality products just do to past experiences with cheaper products.

So far I have stay away from agency power...

and good flex up is turboxs...

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by nO c3nTs View Post
    Thanks for all the responses!

You guys aren't makin it easy for me tho! lol, some saying solid and some saying flex.... but no worries bout the brand types. i always tend to stick to name brands and higher quality products just do to past experiences with cheaper products.

So far I have stay away from agency power...

and good flex up is turboxs...
    it really does come down to opinion on the advantages/disadvantages of flex.

People have had good experiences with both...

Since the headers are solidly connected to the engine, up-pipe to headers/manifold, headers/manifold to turbo, turbo to downpipe, which is connected to the transmission......

There has to be something flexible in there... the engine and transmission move so much in hard driving that something is going to give sooner or later. whether it's the headers (A lot of aftermarket headers have weld cracks due to heat, motion, weight of turbo, and poor welds...), the up pipe, or downpipe... turbo studs... gaskets... the seal between any of these components...

Many say that you're fine with a solid pipe, but I firmly disagree.

I believe that the best performance part manufacturer in the world is APS... and if APS uses a flex coupling in their up-pipe... then I believe it should be there!

APS Turbine Inlet (Up) Pipe
    Kevin
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ

I Support ClubWRX
    aps also includes heat-shields...

A lot of cylinder failures has been attributed to up-pipes that are not heat shielded... If you're willing to spend the dough.. get the APS one.

If you're not willing to spend the dough... get DEI Heatwrap (or similar) and Ceramic Header coating... and coat and wrap a TurboXS up pipe, and call it good.
    Kevin
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ

I checked out that link and noticed it didn't list a price... or i might be blind... but i would also assume that you would need to get a set of gaskets for this as well...

as far as wrapping pipes, i also heard that is bad due to that condensation can get in between the wrap and pipe and cause some long term damage, also keeps heat in the pipe....

so if anything, i would buy heat sheilds and try and stay away from wrapping

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast