New to the site and WRX's =]
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on New to the site and WRX's =] within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hi everybody. My name is Ian and I currently drive a 2001 Mustang GT. I got the car about 2 ...

New to the site and WRX's =]

Hi everybody. My name is Ian and I currently drive a 2001 Mustang GT. I got the car about 2 months ago and I've already started dreading it....sort of lol. I love the power my pony pushes out and the torque sends me flying back in my seat. My 2 #1 problems with the girl is the gas mileage and the insurance. On good days I'm getting 20 mpg, but I don't have many good days lol. Being in a car that's got a 4.6l V8 under the hood, I tend to not want to let that power go to waste. I've always been a HUGE fan of WRX's and STi's since they first made their way over to the states in '02 and was just never really able to afford one. As of right now I'm in the process of trying to sell the Mustang and I'm looking to hop into a vehicle with some sick power and decent MPG. I've decided on quite a few cars that I want to look into. The first is the WRX STi. Everything about the car screams SEXY! Second is the base WRX. I'm not looking to get the new ones not because I don't like them, but because they're wayyyyy 2 expensive. The third is probably the Mazdaspeed3. And then the last is a GTI. Again none of these will be new vehicles. I just have a sh*t ton of questions about the WRX's and the STi's because I've heard such mixed reviews everywhere. I always found it best to not listen to the people who get paid to review these vehicles, but rather the people who love to drive what they have and will be brutally honest about their trials with whatever they have. From what I hear WRX drivers and STi drivers are the Metallica fans of the car world. They love their cars through thick and thin and love the thrill of driving and just being on the road. I'm hoping I can get help with my questions and if I like what I hear, hope to be able to post a thread saying I own 1 of these beasts of the road. So here's the first question if any of you actually cared to read this rather winded introduction.....What's gas mileage like on WRX's and STi's? I'm looking for City/Highway on all years, any type of mods, all models, gunning it, keeping it at speed limit and all that other good stuff. I can always go to websites and see the specs listed, but we all know those are never accurate lol. Thank you for taking the time to read this and I hope to be posting a lot more on this forum! =]

-ComiTheHomie-

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I've owned both a rex and now drive an STi as my dd, the gas mileage on the wrx is a little bit better. When I didnt drive like a crazy man I averaged 24-25 on my rex, keep in mind though that was keeping her around 55mph and in 5th gear near 2000 rpms. Otherwise though city gas mileage was right aroune 20-22 range. The STi seems to average 17-19 whether I drive her fast or slow. On long road trips I notice a little better gas mileage but thats mostly because she's sitting in 6th most of the time.

Insurance wise, your probably actually gonna pay more for a wrx/sti then your mustang. Best advice I can give you is find someone who owns an STi/rex in your area and ask them to let you test drive her.
    Last edited by Laffusillybare; 04-01-2009 at 03:52 AM.
    2006 AW STi

Quote Originally Posted by Laffusillybare View Post
    I've owned both a rex and now drive an STi as my dd, the gas mileage on the wrx is a little bit better. When I didnt drive like a crazy man I averaged 24-25 on my rex, keep in mind though that was keeping her around 55mph and in 5th gear near 2000 rpms. Otherwise though city gas mileage was right aroune 20-22 range. The STi seems to average 17-19 whether I drive her fast or slow. On long road trips I notice a little better gas mileage but thats mostly because she's sitting in 6th most of the time.

Insurance wise, your probably actually gonna pay more for a wrx/sti then your mustang. Best advice I can give you is find someone who owns an STi/rex in your area and ask them to let you test drive her.
    thanks for the help =] i drive anywhere from 20-60 miles each day and i'm looking for better fuel economy than this damn Mustang lol. i'm gonna start hitting a few Subaru dealerships to take a couple WRX's out to see how i like the feel of them.

Insurance wise, you will pay more. MPG, I get close to 30mpg on the highway, nursing a highly modded WRX, but reality is less. But I also get 27mpg on my GTO in the same condition, so...

Right now? Get the car you like and can afford...
    06 GTO M6 Quicksilver, SLP 455 Bobcat, LS7 Clutch w/ SS line (RPM tune:373rwhp/373rwtq)
    07 WRX TR M5 Garnet Red Pearl w/ Straight PPGs and Cusco front LSD (Agile tune:307whp/343wtq)

I have a stock 07 STi and I usually get 21-24mpg with a mix of highway and city driving but I tend not to push her hard very often I'm rather relaxed when driving and usually shift around 3k rpm's.

As for insurance don't be suprised if it is still expensive, the subaru may be a 4 door sedan but still falls into the sports car category.
    Bugeye Mafia #141 Military Militia #007 Hawkeye Alliance #126 The Stink-Eye Mob #92
    03 WRB WRX - Sold
    07 WRB STi - Sold
    11 SWP WRX - Current

I have an 04 wrx that is stage 2 and for mileage wise... i get about 20-22 in the city and about 24-25 on highway. not the best but not the worst either.
    insurance, i am gussing will be about the same for a mustang but i wouldnt know because i have never insured one.

hey wats up. I have an 03 wrx with the stage 2 package that cobb basically offers. i get usually 24/26 city and high way and i try to cruise around but can't help to get off the pedal every so often so for the most part i think it's pretty dam good gas mileage for an AWD. As far as insurance i think it's not too bad i can't complain my 96 acura integra was alot more money lol. So like everyone says go for watever you like man

yeah my 02 average i would say like most people 20-22 in town 25 mixed driving but i have seen 30ish on longer trips
    Dirty Crew #8807
    02 wrx 246awhp sold to get 03
    03 wrx 400awhp also sold to get a house
    currently shoping though

ok so on average everybody is getting above 20 and thats with driving hard and normal. sounds good to me lol. driving hard in the stang gets me probably about 13-15 hwy hahahaa. heres another one i was thinking of only because i like to work a lot on my cars myself just cause i find its cheaper. the bigger things i take to mechanics, but like oil, and tranny fluid, and spark plugs i like to do myself. are wrx's and sti's easy to work on by urself or are they the type of cars that u pretty much have to hit a mechanic for and they'll charge u out the ass to do the work?

just depends some say its hard others say it isnt. if you are mechanically inclined you will prob be fine. plugs are fun though but oil and other fluid canges pretty much same difficulty. we have a great tutorial section here though that will certainly help you along the way
    Dirty Crew #8807
    currently shoping though

I Support ClubWRX
    I would tend to agree with your "Metallica fans of the car world" comment.

It's a very positive community with a lot of knowledge. And we are almost all die hard fans. There are many members of this forum that haven't had one for years, but still love to talk and learn about our cars.

I personally get 18-21 city, and if I nurse it on the highway I've seen above 30mpg. Granted I have a decent amount of work into her, but before that I was seeing 26-28mpg.

My personal opinion of the car is: The wrx/sti are cars that have a 5-star crash rating, over 25mpg average, can seat 4 adults or 2 adults 3 kids comfortably, handle incredibly well in the snow, and get 0-60 faster than most cars worth 15k more.

I've driven many different high performance cars, from 350z's to the corvette and mustangs, to masdaspeed 6, to a 2008 BMW M5... And even though the performance isn't the equivalent of many sports cars... it is definitely the most fun to drive... even more so than the vette and M5. My brother drove both the Vette and M5, and he actually told me that he'd rather drive my car because it's "More Fun"
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

it is a great car platform. the handling in snow is unreal. while everyone cant get traction you can be setting your best 1/4 mile time obviuosly kidding but it handles well on road, off the beaten path, and in bad conditions. i love em
    Dirty Crew #8807
    currently shoping though

snow is one thing i really don't have to worry about lol. i live in Southern California where the sun shines and the heat is ridiculous. if i wanted to go snowboarding in the mountains though its a warming thought to know that i would be just fine with a wrx/sti up there lol. this is a stupid question cause i know the answer, but how do these beasts handle canyons? i know the whole history of them being rally inspired and what not but those are highly tuned and stuff. how do they handle tight turns at high speeds and do the canyons even pose a threat for these machines? =] i've always been a huge fan of canyon driving. to me it just feels like the most relaxing thing to drive the canyon and head to the beach. my only problem is my tendency to want to smash through the canyons as fast as i can lol. doing that in the stang i feel my back end start to swing out when i take a turn 2 fast even with TCS on.

I've had the pleasure of owning both a wrx and an STi, and in my experience the STi handles like a champ. Your gonna be able to take a lot of sharp turns a lot faster then you ever thought a 4-door sedan would be able to do straight from the factory. The wrx handles pretty well too but doesnt even come close to the stiffness I felt while driving my STi. Overall both cars are great, but be warned these cars werent made for comfort. Particularly the older model years, the ride is very stiff and you feel almost every bump on the road.
    2006 AW STi

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by ComiTheHomie View Post
    snow is one thing i really don't have to worry about lol. i live in Southern California where the sun shines and the heat is ridiculous. if i wanted to go snowboarding in the mountains though its a warming thought to know that i would be just fine with a wrx/sti up there lol. this is a stupid question cause i know the answer, but how do these beasts handle canyons? i know the whole history of them being rally inspired and what not but those are highly tuned and stuff. how do they handle tight turns at high speeds and do the canyons even pose a threat for these machines? =] i've always been a huge fan of canyon driving. to me it just feels like the most relaxing thing to drive the canyon and head to the beach. my only problem is my tendency to want to smash through the canyons as fast as i can lol. doing that in the stang i feel my back end start to swing out when i take a turn 2 fast even with TCS on.
    Well, compared to your mustang our cars feel extremely weird, but in a good way... The AWD isn't just for off roading... It helps a ton in the twisties too! We're able to maintain a bit higher speed through a turn, and especially get on the throttle a lot earlier... A WRX's ass end doesn't come around like a RWD car's rear will... It's a different beast all together. It's very to go quick around corners, and it's very forgiving as well! We get off throttle oversteer... Our ass end will start to slide while your foot is off the gas, but as soon as we touch the gas the car miraculously pulls out of the oversteer like it didn't even happen! It's honestly a car you have to take on a canyon drive to believe how it handles! The 08 did have too soft of a suspension, and they fixed that with 09.. A bit. It's a more advanced suspension, but body roll is significant and the ride was improved. The wrx of 02-07 and STi's of all years handle incredibly well though!

My advice.. Test drive a few. You'll fall madly in love.
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.