check engine llight

This is a discussion on check engine llight within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I have an '05 wrx, i have just a magna flow ab exhaust and i recently got an injen short ...

check engine llight

I have an '05 wrx, i have just a magna flow ab exhaust and i recently got an injen short ram intake. a few days after i put in the intake, my check engine light came on. i ran a diognostics and it came up saying my body is running too lean. this scares me. i could imagine the intake triggered the light due to more air flow. i got the light erased with the diognostic but it came back on a day latr. can anyone help me. i havent been driving the car because i dont want anything to happen from running too lean. idk if i need to tune it or what but any help would be great. ty

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    The Injen intake is a bad design. Uninstall it and put the stock piece back on.

Take it as a lesson learned. Now you know to research first.

Quote Originally Posted by brfatal View Post
    The Injen intake is a bad design. Uninstall it and put the stock piece back on.

Take it as a lesson learned. Now you know to research first.

whys that. your saying i wasted the money for an intake thats gonna mess up my car?please explain

Quote Originally Posted by coreyysmithh02 View Post
    whys that. your saying i wasted the money for an intake thats gonna mess up my car?please explain

wrx's/sti dont respond well to aftermarket intakes without a proper tune. The only intake I know of that doesnt require a tune is the aps 65mm.
    2006 AW STi

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by coreyysmithh02
    Replace the OEM intake setup or tweak the ECU to account for the aftermarket one.

As brfatal said, the Injen is a poor design in terms of plug&play
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Registered User DrumminAnimal73's Avatar
    I have an '05 wrx, i have just a magna flow ab exhaust and i recently got an injen short ram intake. a few days after i put in the intake, my check engine light came on. i ran a diognostics and it came up saying my body is running too lean. this scares me. i could imagine the intake triggered the light due to more air flow. i got the light erased with the diognostic but it came back on a day latr. can anyone help me. i havent been driving the car because i dont want anything to happen from running too lean. idk if i need to tune it or what but any help would be great. ty
    Have you ever thought of bulking up? I know they make supplements for that....

i have an 05 sti with a hks turbo back exhaust and aem cold air. i had a similar problem and my shop told me i need a fuel cut defender and that would solve my problem. i had them install a hks fuel cut defender and since then and many races and miles later it has never come back on. hope that helps

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    The MAF housing section is too small. It throws off the sensor's readings.

Quote Originally Posted by spoolin2005 View Post
    i have an 05 sti with a hks turbo back exhaust and aem cold air. i had a similar problem and my shop told me i need a fuel cut defender and that would solve my problem. i had them install a hks fuel cut defender and since then and many races and miles later it has never come back on. hope that helps
    Stab the owner of that shop in the face for that suggestion. That is NOT even remotely a good idea. Tuning is the single conceivable way to fix the problem you have. Since you're not tuned, I hope that shop plans on buying your next engine if you break your ringlands.

Corey, either buy a proper intake or get tuned.
    Last edited by brfatal; 04-01-2009 at 04:12 PM.

and if you dont wanna spent alot and are just looking for the intake sound then a k&n drop in filter and silencer delete would work. idk some people dont like the silencer delete but it sounds good
    Dirty Crew #8807
    02 wrx 246awhp sold to get 03
    03 wrx 400awhp also sold to get a house
    currently shoping though