New member, probably one that will stick around

This is a discussion on New member, probably one that will stick around within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I have always read this websites forums. For the past 3 years as I dreamed of getting an STI. Finally, ...

New member, probably one that will stick around

I have always read this websites forums. For the past 3 years as I dreamed of getting an STI. Finally, after MONTHS of being in the buying phase, I got my baby. 15,000 miles on an 04. No strut clunk, turbo timer, and a cold air intake.
    The ONLY thing , and it's actually going to be quite a big thing I'm sure, about the car that is a problem is that 5th gear grinds. Not to mention for some reason the previous owner put on a WRX exhaust because the owner prior to that put some exhaust that made it sound like "crap" according to him.

First question: How much damage will that WRX exhaust cause if I keep it on there?

I wanted to take a moment to point out that this website I have found to be the most competent and well run site when it comes to info regarding the WRX family.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Let's consider: Original owner gets a new exhaust for the sti and sells the car. The second owner replaces that exhaust with a wrx exhaust because of sound and sells the car. Turbo timer and CAI make their way in there somewhere. Third owner with 15k on the clock has a grind in 5th and dresses like a ninja. What kind of hellish existence has your 'baby' had?
    The fast and the "Yeah right!"
    Blobeye #60
    2004 WRX STi Java Black Swirl
    2004 WRX san remo wingless sold
    99 Impreza 'L' grocery getter sold

hey welcome to the club. congrats on the 04. the exhaust is probably the least of your problems, unless it is a full turboback and you dont have a tune for it (correct me if im wrong, boost creep is an issue), i would worry more about the cold air intake because that is usually a cause for problems on subies, just my 2 cents, good luck
    2007 WRB WRX Limited SOLD
    2008 QSM Legacy Spec.B

Quote Originally Posted by etshulda View Post
    Let's consider: Original owner gets a new exhaust for the sti and sells the car. The second owner replaces that exhaust with a wrx exhaust because of sound and sells the car. Turbo timer and CAI make their way in there somewhere. Third owner with 15k on the clock has a grind in 5th and dresses like a ninja. What kind of hellish existence has your 'baby' had?
    To add to that, the inside trunk release has been removed.
    It was one of the matter-of-fact things he told me after I had signed the papers.

Him: "oh and the trunk release isn't back in the trunk any more, so if you get trapped in there, your screwed."

Me: "um... do I even want to ask why?"

Him: *grumbling under his breath* " oh no-no, nothing like that, heh. "

*LONG uncomfortable pause*

About the intake, I was thinking about reverting it back to stock, all stock parts were included when I purchased the car, spare the exhaust. Forgot to mention that he has sport brake pads installed and gave me an extra pair, along with a lightened pulley set

I am bringing it in for the 15k service soon, I think I will grill the service techs for what they think. I will be sure to post here what they say.

I know the 15k service is really just an oil/air filter change. Since I have the CAI, it's only $68, which in Santa Barbara, sadly is about what it would cost for a synthetic oil change ( -$8 or so ).

I would do the 15k myself, but I would prefer to talk them into going over the inspections with a critical eye to see what pokes out.

I declined having them replace the HEPPA filter, I can do it myself, just am trying to find the instructions for it ( maintenance forum doesn't have the STI service manual posted ). Anyone ever change this themselves? Have any good recommendations of cheap place to buy these?

I just had to remove my trunk release to pop out a dent because my friend hit the car with a football The clips were a PITA to get back in. About the CAI, I got my STi with Injen CAI and it's been fine for almost two years I wouldn't worry about it. I don't know about the filter good luck.
    The fast and the "Yeah right!"
    Blobeye #60
    2004 WRX STi Java Black Swirl
    2004 WRX san remo wingless sold
    99 Impreza 'L' grocery getter sold

Quote Originally Posted by etshulda View Post
    i just had to remove my trunk release to pop out a dent because my friend hit the car with a football
    wtf bbq!!!

... sorry. I had to say it.
    Last edited by 805 STi; 04-02-2009 at 04:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 805 STi View Post
    I have always read this websites forums. For the past 3 years as I dreamed of getting an STI. Finally, after MONTHS of being in the buying phase, I got my baby. 15,000 miles on an 04. No strut clunk, turbo timer, and a cold air intake.
    The ONLY thing , and it's actually going to be quite a big thing I'm sure, about the car that is a problem is that 5th gear grinds. Not to mention for some reason the previous owner put on a WRX exhaust because the owner prior to that put some exhaust that made it sound like "crap" according to him.

First question: How much damage will that WRX exhaust cause if I keep it on there?

I wanted to take a moment to point out that this website I have found to be the most competent and well run site when it comes to info regarding the WRX family.
    This sounds very shady to me, not to mention the fact that an 04 with 15,000 miles is EXTREMELY rare. I'm not saying its not possible, but I'd be worried the previous owner rolled back the odometer because that just doesn't sound right to me. Are you positive this is an STi you were sold? It does have a 6 speed transmission right? I cant think of one good reason you'd take an aftermarket CBE off and put the a wrx exhaust back other then to sell the car to someone else and **** them over.
    2006 AW STi

I'd also carfax the car and make sure the title is clean because this sounds like a load of horse **** to me.
    2006 AW STi