Guidance First Time Manual Driver - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

This is a discussion on Guidance First Time Manual Driver within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Well after bragging about how I hadn't killed the car because of the clutch I broke that streak this morning. ...

Well after bragging about how I hadn't killed the car because of the clutch I broke that streak this morning.

I took a back road into the work (hey I gotta give the car a good work-out before I give it up to the kid!) this road ends on a really steep hill at a stop sign. Car pulls right up behind me and yep I killed it! Well I had my first moment of "OK maybe this isn't so much fun! But all ends well, but I'm not sure if the smell I ended up with as I rocketed up that incline was clutch or tires but I will advise my son not to put himself in a similar situation anytime soon!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

It's really important NOT to panic in those moments because if you're anything like me when I first learned, you throw out everything that you learned and mess up. I did the same thing, but the "hill" was a slight slant at best when it happened to me.

I think another driving tip may be the "both feet in" for quick stops - for instance having to make a quick stop in 5th gear on the highway, you don't want to only step on that brake pedal but also get that left foot on the clutch - stalling in that situation at higher speeds wouldn't be fun.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123