Starting a family, should I get a 2007 WRX or GTI?

View Poll Results: Which one should I get?

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • GTI

0 0%
  • WRX

17 100.00%
  • Other

0 0%

This is a discussion on Starting a family, should I get a 2007 WRX or GTI? within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I am expecting a baby in August So, that means I have to get rid of my 2002 Mustang GT. ...

Smile Starting a family, should I get a 2007 WRX or GTI?

I am expecting a baby in August So, that means I have to get rid of my 2002 Mustang GT. That doesn't mean that I can't still have a car that I like and that is a bit sporty. I've been looking at my options and I'm pretty sure I've got it down to 2 choices. The 4 door GTI and the Subaru WRX. Also, based on my budget, I need to go with something around $18-20k, so I have to get something used. That kind of puts me at around a 2007 model year. I'm not the kind of guy to get into mods or racing. I just want something that's fun to drive, has a bit of a kick to it, and is somewhat practical. This won't be our main mode of child transportation we already have a nice family car. I just need my car to be kid capable in case I need to take the baby somewhere. So which one should I get?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    i really love the gti's but i dont see them as being a "family" car.

my vote goes for the wrx

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

I Support ClubWRX
    Honda Odyssey

I Support ClubWRX
    I dated a girl who had a 2 year old and an '07 GTI. Her two year old loved it but thought my WRX was cooler. I really liked driving it though. The clutch was tough to get used to because of how soft it was compared to my old WRX, but it had plenty of GO, a little nicer ride than my WRX, and all the nice interior perks that VW's really gotten good at. Still had some electrical problems though. The factory HU kept burning itself out and was replaced a couple times. The electrical is really the wild card.

I wouldn't try to talk you out of a WRX though either, but that's more due to my Subaru / AWD bias.

...sorry that didn't help. They're both nice cars.

I Support ClubWRX
    I'm in a similar situation, that is, we have a primary family carrier for vacations and such, but I have to have something that I can occasionally load the kids into without too much drama. My WRX wagon is great with my 2 kids. Throw whatever crap in the back, car seats fit just fine in the back seat. (Though you may have to put a front seat to a more forward setting to accommodate the rear-facing infant seat.)

Good luck with the "I'm not going to mod" thing. I said the same thing with both of mine. Heh. Welcome aboard!

edit...after 7 years (minus a few months) of WRX ownership, my kids don't even react anymore when I pull through a corner at a fun speed. Wonder what kind of drivers I'm training them to become.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

I Support ClubWRX
    I've had both. They are both great cars, and I've had a lot of fun in each.

Test drive them both then decide which you like better.

Either way, you almost can't go wrong.
    Dirty Jersey
    Part-Time Grammar Nazi
    RIP- '02 PSM Wagon
    08 Candy White MK5 GTI 6spd

Moderator:Tri-State and Transmission & AWD forums

Iv always been under the assumption that Subaru will be more dependable... GTI's are great cars and people swear by them.. HOWEVER in my experience the 1.8 motors have the tendency to start to crap out after 65k or so... Not so much major components but you start to see cracks and dry rot with rubber components and plastics.

The car itself has the tendency to fall apart when it comes to sensors they get pricey and fast...

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Poohbear View Post
    HOWEVER in my experience the 1.8 motors have the tendency to start to crap out after 65k or so...
    the 07 gti's are 2.0's not 1.8's

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

well i dont have any experience with the 2.0's... i was just talking an in general of the 1.8's... he said around 07 year doesn't mean hes not going older but in retrospect your absolutely correct vw could have fixed issues they had with there older new generation vehicles... BUT when those sensors go out they hit the pocket book 07 and newer or not...

A brake sensor on my girls 1.8T was over $1700!!!

My advice is look into repair costs... If your going to start a family then this may be a car you have for a very long time...

Perhaps something sporty isnt a good choice... Time to hang up those gloves and get yourself a Forester or Tribeca!!!

Im just under the impression that Subaru's reliability is second only to Honda... Keep oil in her and she will run forever... With the exception of neglect/abuse....

Not sure what part of the country you are in or what body styles appeal to you more, but I just got a 2008 WRX on Valentine's Day. I got it for $19,2xx. I did have a $500 discount from an auto show, but even wihtout that, if you're in the Midwest, I think you could get a leftover 08 if you can find one. I drove 300 miles to the Kansas City Market, but they had about 10 to choose from between 3 dealers, where as the St. Louis Market I live in, had only ONE, and they weren't budging on any pricing at the time (at least not enough to my liking). I drove back home from KC with a silver 08

After 2,000 miles, I feel its the best car I've ever had. Safe with the AWD, a TON of fun to drive (on par with my 95 5.0 Mustang), 4 door utility, big trunk, and did I mention FUN TO DRIVE... go for the WRX. I'm totally sold on Subaru!

I have 2 kids and my WRX wagon suites me well. I can load them up, put whatever I need in the trunk and still have a blast driving it. My vote is for WRX.
    04 Blobeye wagon
    AFE Filter, ebay catback.
    03 RR Evo sold

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Poohbear View Post
    My advice is look into repair costs... If your going to start a family then this may be a car you have for a very long time...

Perhaps something sporty isnt a good choice... Time to hang up those gloves and get yourself a Forester or Tribeca!!!
    You go right ahead...but there's absolutely no reason to, IMO.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by KingBeLL4 View Post
    Not sure what part of the country you are in or what body styles appeal to you more, but I just got a 2008 WRX on Valentine's Day. I got it for $19,2xx.
    Wow! That's a steal! What was the sticker price? I might have to look into that option. Thanks for the heads up.

I Support ClubWRX
    When it comes to family, I would think safety first. Subaru's 3-ring system, AWD, and crash ratings would lean me towards the Suby. It's definitely safer, cheaper to work on, and larger in the back seat to be able to get car seats in and out.
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!