Newbe from ohio

This is a discussion on Newbe from ohio within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Im James, just bought an 04 wrx sedan blue 5spd all stock 97k for 00 otd 03-13. I have a ...

Registered User knuckleduster27's Avatar

Newbe from ohio

Im James, just bought an 04 wrx sedan blue 5spd all stock 97k for $9800 otd 03-13. I have a lifted, glass fender tacoma on 33's and im into supermoto bikes. I love the car and it is going to be my dd for the next 54 months if all goes as planned. The car needs its 105k service, it looks to be easier to do than most inline 4's but i was wondering if there is anything I should know about before attempting this? I am fairly decent with a wrench and have a snap on krl full of tools. Will an auto zone "gates" timing belt be sufficient or should I spend the extra money on a performance belt. I plan to replace the waterpump while im in there. Any suggestions on that as well? Im really not looking to mod this car aside from maybe a boost guage. This is my first subaru so im just kinda feeling it out. What kind of longevity can I expect from this motor with reasonable driving habits? I take it to 6500rpm and wind it out on occasion but try not to race every grocery getter or import i come across. What are some common problems these cars have that I should keep an eye out for?? Any help would be greatly apprieciated. Thanks, James

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by knuckleduster27 View Post
    Im James, just bought an 04 wrx sedan blue 5spd all stock 97k for $9800 otd 03-13. I have a lifted, glass fender tacoma on 33's and im into supermoto bikes. I love the car and it is going to be my dd for the next 54 months if all goes as planned. The car needs its 105k service, it looks to be easier to do than most inline 4's but i was wondering if there is anything I should know about before attempting this? I am fairly decent with a wrench and have a snap on krl full of tools. Will an auto zone "gates" timing belt be sufficient or should I spend the extra money on a performance belt. I plan to replace the waterpump while im in there. Any suggestions on that as well? Im really not looking to mod this car aside from maybe a boost guage. This is my first subaru so im just kinda feeling it out. What kind of longevity can I expect from this motor with reasonable driving habits? I take it to 6500rpm and wind it out on occasion but try not to race every grocery getter or import i come across. What are some common problems these cars have that I should keep an eye out for?? Any help would be greatly apprieciated. Thanks, James
    Hi James,
    I also have an 04 WRX. I have about 80k miles on it.

My husband is a mechanic (a service technician to be politically correct) and he maintains my car. He does my routine fluid changes, routine maintenance and tire rotations. I bought this car new and I am impressed that I haven't had to do anything to it othan regular maintenance.

The only "issue" that I had was a gas leak. There's a bulletin out there at the Subaru dealership about the issue. I'm from New Hampshire, so depending on where you are it may not impact you if you don't have cold weather. There was an issue when the temp got below -15 degrees you would smell gas in and around the car. The fix was about $300. I didn't fix it. I have a garage, so I'm going to clean that out over the spring so my car can sleep in there next winter.

Other than that I personally haven't had any issues. If you have a question for my mechanic, let me know. lol. You meantioned something about the waterpump.

Welcome to the club and best of luck with the new car!

Stephanie
    2004 WRX

I Support ClubWRX
    Common items are the water pump, the tensioner, and any seeping seals "while you're in there."

I prefer authentic Subaru parts.

There's a how-to thread with pictures, you'll probably find it informative.

Pick up the correct coolant for your car too, and if the external belts haven't been changed, you may as well (again, I prefer authentic parts).
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.