2008 WRX: Are stock tires ok for winter in NY?

This is a discussion on 2008 WRX: Are stock tires ok for winter in NY? within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I have a 20th AE GTI that came from the factory with 18" summer tires on it. I notice that ...

2008 WRX: Are stock tires ok for winter in NY?

I have a 20th AE GTI that came from the factory with 18" summer tires on it. I notice that the O8 WRX came with 17" performance tires. Are those ok for winter in NY or do I need to purchase another set of tires and rims?

Mike

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

purchasing car soon. Trying to be fiscally responsible.

I Support ClubWRX
    Depends on where in NY you're located ...

Living upstate, you should really have dedicated snows. Living down near NYC, you don't see near the snowfall that upstate does, and you could probably get away with all-seasons (I'm not sure if they still use A/S stock on WRX's/STi's)
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Check - In Canada all 08s came with Bridgestone AS tires. They are okay when they are new, but after a year I found them tetchy on ice and slush with poor stopping. Last winter I changed to some mid-range winter tires and the difference is amazing. You'll have much more control on snow and ice and will enjoy the car a lot more. I stuck my winters on a cheap set of rims and swap them out whenever it's warm to preserve the winter tires - it may cost more now, but you'll not have to change the AS so quickly. Not only will you use them for less months in the year, but you can also run the tread lower if you don't need them on snow.

The 09s came with summer tires on, and you'll have to get a winter set if you see snow or ice.

I live in the borough of Queens in NY, and I've done winters in 07 and 08 with no problems so far. Tires that came with the car are RE92a's - all season performance... I think they are a little to soft but nothin some air couldn't fix

well i live in northern maine and i have dunlop signature sp's on mine and i made it all winter without a problem. i spun anytime i hit 2700rpms cuz of the torque but i managed and we get about 200 or more inches of snow per year.

I buy my rubber from DTE in Waterville, Maine. They are really fast technicians, careful, and accurate with the weights (they won't ugly up your nice rims).

They unanimously agree that an "SP" (Summer performance) tire is really dangerous in Winter, since the rubber is formulated for 100+ degree standing temps, and a Winter tire is formulated to be able to sit at subzero temps without leaking or cracking.

While rolling, these tires will perform very differently, as rain sipes will attract and absorb snowpack, creating dangerous slippery conditions, especially in an AWD car such as ours. Most SP tires are siped. Winter or ASR (All Season Radial) tires will shed snow, while having less grip on dry pavement (some drivers prefer a very narrow ASR tire for this reason, such as a 185mm x 70series or larger). The looks are not going to get any fingers pointed or open mouths, but you will be able to slalom your favorite snow roads with far more confidence, followed by Summers of much better driving created by that added speed of Winter training.

These significantly different tires warrant a Summer set of rims. You will be happier with the car overall, I guarantee it.

As for sizes and "plus fitment" applications, there are charts on this forum and NASIOC in the "exterior mod" and "suspension and wheels" categories. I'd post them in quotes, but they are a lot of info, and the answer to your question is here.

Really, you risk a severe tire explosion using 'out of season' tires on a high-performance vehicle. If you have a Corvette, I'd say go 365 days a year on what it came with. You have a much more targeted car as to what it is used to race against. Your suspension and tire options are truly limitless. It is fortunate that sizes are so flexible in the sedan.

Good luck in your choice, and if in doubt, Pirelli P-0Nero-Black are excellent Z rated ASR tires, having a dual rating of Z@SP / Z@ASR, and they are spendy to the roof. About $340 per tire for 225-40ASRZ+ /18, and there is rarely a warranty for a Z tire. They are really beautiful... blacker than most tires, and the tread goes all the way to the rim... no visible sidewall! This is an illusion created by extending the treadbed to the bead. Measurements are the same as any other tire.